“Great restaurant in Templeton”
Review of McPhee's Grill

McPhee's Grill
Ranked #1 of 28 Restaurants in Templeton
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 4th Street
Fawnskin, California
“Great restaurant in Templeton”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Always have to go to McPhee's when we are in town. Great food, wine, and ambiance. Charming town which is growing every time we visit. Fun to stop in the hardware store next door too!

Visited May 2014
1 Thank nancyceleste

Templeton
“Everything is wonderful”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

This is my favorite hometown restaurant. They recently put in a pizza oven! You must try the "pig and fig". This is my go to place for birthdays, holidays or just lunch! Never disappointed.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank ladybug96
san luis obispo
“templetons best!!”
Reviewed 18 April 2014

great food and high quality ingredients. a little pricey but worth it.good wine list and friendly staff.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank sailingjulie
Monrovia, California
“nicely surprised”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We didn't know anything about McPhee's when our innkeeper recommended it on a recent weekend trip to Paso Robles. We were seated immediately upon arriving. Our server Nicholas was thorough and attentive, able to answer our questions with authority and confidence. The wine list was well balanced, and the menu was varied enough to satisfy our tastes.

My husband and I split the grapefruit salad (a special that night), which they divided onto two small plates for us. We both ordered the filet mignon, which was one of the tenderest steaks I've ever had. The oakwood smoke was strong but not overpowering, and the vegetables were bright and fresh. I only wish I'd asked to substitute the garlic mashed potatoes, but only because I can't tolerate that much garlic (they were otherwise delicious as well). Even the bus boys were polite and efficient.

It's not inexpensive, certainly.. and if you didn't like the food, I can see why people would give it a negative review. But we were very pleasantly surprised by such excellent professional service in sleepy Templeton.

• Visited April 2014
Cambria
“So disappointed after 12 years of meals here!”
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Have been going here (in Cambia before they moved also) for over 12 years, but MAYBE NO MORE!! My husband and I went for lunch today. Host was extremely stressed and seemed overworked and unfriendly (they were busy). Our server was the same timid young woman we have had before (awhile ago though). We specifically asked for fries as an appetizer to be served ahead of meal. While waiting we noticed the host was checking tables of our server and noticed no bread or water at one table which he promptly took care to provide. We noticed while we still didn't get our drinks after some time, that the people noticed previously still had not been helped by the server. We then noticed that what we believed to be our fries were up at the pickup station (she had finally brought our drinks prior to this), where they sat until we realized she was not going to get them and that she would probably serve them WITH our meals...Yup, just what she did. They were not as hot as they should have been needless to say.

My Macadamia Crusted Halibut was such a disappointment after having it some years ago when it was not on the regular menu. First, it was not the great quality Halibut served in the past. It was a rather small thin piece of what I believe was local Halibut. It was prepared fine but the side of Asian Coleslaw that I have come to enjoy and expect since it says it is included on the menu was replaced by what appeared to be lettuce out of bag (Fresh Express) which was wilted with some bland dressing dripping off the wilted lettuce. I mentioned it to our server, and she said that IS what they call coleslaw! I said "but this is lettuce", "well that is what they call coleslaw" she repeated I WAS EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED IN MY MEAL . My husband had the lettuce tacos and said they were good, but he felt a very small portion.

Having gone here for so many years, we felt that now that they have 2 restaurants, this one is for sure going down hill. I am happy for those people who seemed to have a good experience, but we feel their service and quality of food has diminished so much we probably will not go there again.

• Visited April 2014