“Nice enough room, average service, revolting "restaurant"”
Review of Toorak Lodge

Toorak Lodge
Perth, Australia
“Nice enough room, average service, revolting "restaurant"”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

The room in itself we found to be neat, clean and reasonable for the price. We decided to dine (using this word very loosely) at the site "restaurant". In order to eat at this restaurant you have to fill out a room service style checklist menu and hand it in with payment at reception. I enquired if the restaurant is licensed and it was confirmed, yes. Having handed in our paper order slips to reception we took seats in a 70's throwback of a dining room, totally void of patrons, with no table settings other than plastic wrapped dispensers of paper towels - yes - you read that correctly, like nappy wipes- on each table. I approached the counter and called out "excuse me" and a young lady appeared from the kitchen. I asked if I could order drinks and was informed I had to go back to reception. So, there i was walking from reception to the dining room with a bottle of red I chose from the shelf and 2 wine glasses wondering how they are going to justify a mark up on the food. You can imagine our disappointment when all meals were clearly from the freezer (frozen fish, frozen beer batter chips, frozen dumplings - I have no proof of this however I have bought meals looking identical from IGA frozen food section). If all this wasn't enough the young lady in the kitchen coughed, hacked and sneezed continuously and audibly from the moment we got our meals until the moment we popped back over to reception to suggest the young lady be sent home due to hygiene issues. If it hadn't been for excellent company and a bottle of merlot it would have been a total disaster. Returning to our room we noticed the mold at the drains, the grotty looking manhole in the bathroom, the face and hand smudges and marks all over the sliding balcony door and a general sense of yuckiness. Funny how a bad experience with food can change how you see things. The room was OK and I recommend do not eat at the on site "restaurant". Oh, and that food collects 10 % surcharge for room service.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Melanie D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I booked this hotel because it was near to the airport and "reasonably" priced. After a long, tiring flight, we arrived and I instantly got bad feeling about it. The reception was a counter in a room which was half shop and half eating area (I think), and the immediate sense of filth was awful. When we went to the room, it was on the middle floor right at the back of the complex and overlooking the laundry facility. I could have cried. It was so delapidated and grotty I would have walked away had I not prepaid, but we were both so tired we had no choice. By the activity going on in the car park, it was obvious that the place was being used as a brothel. The door locks were very dubious and the room stunk of cigarette smoke. Everywhere was filthy and we watched the way the bed linen was being washed, well that's if you could call it being washed. I could go on and on, but I think the health inspectors should pay it a visit and close it down. It should carry a health warning :STAY AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Room Tip: Just don't stay there in any room
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank enidol

Travellers are raving about these Rivervale hotels

Bunbury, Australia
Reviewed 3 May 2014

My wife and I needed a place to stay for 1 night before flying out to Sydney. The motel was cheap by Perth standards, about $120Aud discount price. It is approx 10 min from the airport in light traffic. The room was very basic but clean and comfortable. Tea and coffee making facilities are provided but strangely no milk.There is a swimming pool and restuarnt on site but we did not use either.
In a nutshell this motel served our purpose and we would stay again for a similar reason and only ever for 1 night but we would not stay for a longer period even at the price.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

Worst place I ever stayed!! The room was real bad. The check in service was terrible and be sure not to eat there as the steak they served me was a joke for $31 you would get a better steak for 5 bucks somewhere else.
Still can't believe I spent money there!! Stay away.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Mick2323
Australind, Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We are obviously slow-learners as we had stayed here before many years ago, but we were looking for a cheap stay - just a clean room, nothing fancy.
The room smelt of tobacco and the carpet had not been vacuumed. The noise from the other charming guests was disgusting and inconsiderate! We left early in the morning without showering (hate shower curtains.) Needs a bomb under it!

Room Tip: 223 was too close to the highway for traffic noise (IF you could hear it over the noise of obnoxious...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Beijing, China
Reviewed 19 August 2013

This was the cheapest accommodation I could find in the area. I was more than happy to stay here as it's closed to the Burswood casino and the airport. It's not usual to find motel rooms supply tooth brushes, shampoo and shower gel in Australia and next time I stay here I won't need to bring my own anymore.

The staff was very helpful, they printed out a map for me to show where the motel is located as well as the nearby shopping center, train station, bus station etc. I also got the information of tours from them as well.

Thanks to all the staff of Toorak Lodge Motel, you made my trip joyful!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank helen c
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I was surprised by the previous reviews as I found this place is not that bad as they wrote. As a frequent traveler, I stay here quite often. Their price seems reasonable as Perth is a very costly city nowadays.

The motel is well located, close to everything I need. The room is basic, but for that price ($148/night), you can't expect more. Their staff is friendly and helpful, room is tidy and neat. They do need a bit work on understanding English, but after all, I always enjoy my stay there.

Room Tip: The rooms off the hwy or on the top of the left side building is a lot quieter.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rivervale
Crown Promenade Perth
Burswood Lodge Motel Apartments
Great Eastern Motor Lodge
Great Eastern Motor Lodge
#1 of 3 in Rivervale

Been to Toorak Lodge? Share your experiences!