“Excellent Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Tiburon
San Diego, California
“Excellent Hotel”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Stayed for a night on the way back from wine country. Everything about the hotels was top notch-Location, decor, rooms and service. We had a second floor room that led out to a beautiful deck overlooking the marina. Front desk agents were very helpful and went out of their way to accomodate everything we asked for, from ice buckets to umbrella service out on the deck, to late night snacks tray even though they didn't offer room service. They did have a breakfast service that was excellent. Will be back and would highly recommend!

Room Tip: Room on the second floor has easiest access at the end of the hallway to beautiful deck overlooking...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Tiburon, California
Reviewed 14 April 2014

The staff at Waters Edge was unbelievable. The rate was much better than I would have gotten at the Tiburon Lodge and my room had a wonderful view. Each evening they provide wine/cheese and fruit by the fire. The bikes are within easy reach and they allowed me full use of their conference room so I could meet with my team whereas the Lodge wanted to charge me $200/day. The day before I was leaving, I had a kidney stone attack right there. The response was unbelievable. They took care of everything in the most professional way and did it quietly. I recovered the next day and the management couldn't do enough for me. Flowers arrived in my room with well wishes. My overall stay was just wonderful, Waters Edge gets my highest recommendation.

Room Tip: Ask for second floor nearest the grand deck.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Pam7272
Southern Oregon
Reviewed 3 April 2014

The Water's Edge truly has the best of the bay area at its doorstep. Tiburon is a wonderful, laid back community with lots of great places to walk and enjoy the beauty of the bay. Views of Angel Island, San Francisco and the Golden Gate are all possible at or near this nice, boutique hotel.

We traveled in late March 2014 to celebrate my daughter's 16th birthday, arriving on a Sunday at 4pm and parking in the Main Street parking lot, which is a few doors down from the front of the hotel. *Be prepared to walk a bit to get your bags from your vehicle.

PARKING NOTE:
You will be paying $15 per day to park in the Main Street lot. I had my parking ticket validated by the hotel, and was told I would not be paying a parking fee both by the hotel's front desk and by the parking lot attendant as I'd had it validated. When I left Tiburon through the parking lot gate, the attendant did not require payment so I thought all was as stated. Unfortunately, a mysterious $30 charge appeared on my credit card and when I called the hotel Sunny told me that it was the $15 a day parking fee, that I had been told was not going to be charged. She had no response other than to restate it was the $15 a day parking fee.

EMPLOYEES: One employee was a stand out. Michael was extremely helpful in recommending a place to eat for my daughter and I, and make the extra effort to track down a menu and the phone number. Most all of the employees were pleasant and helpful, but he definitely was the most customer service oriented of the bunch.

THE ROOM:
Our room was booked via Hotwire (Expedia per the hotel's records) and we paid less than one hundred and forty a night. The going rate for rooms at this hotel is over two hundred a night so I felt extremely happy with this price for a time that was at the start of Oregon's Spring Break. The room price also included a free breakfast which had several options and was delivered right on time each of the two days we stayed at the hotel. Also included were wine and snacks each evening, which you could take to their relatively small, but nice deck that overlooks the mooring basin for the Corinthian Yacht Club and beyond to the San Francisco skyline. At night, they light up the fire pit on the deck and if the neighboring restaurants aren't too busy, it's wonderfully peaceful.

Our room was 217, which was a few doors down from the elevator on the left hand side of the hallway. That side is also the side of the building where there is a walkway to the Ferry dock, which has large metal trash containers (see photos).

THE VIEW FROM OUR ROOM:
The good part is that you get a partial water view if you lean up against the window and a view of Angel Island and the Ferry dock. The bad part is that if you look straight at the window you see a satellite dish and a wall. There's also a deck off the room which is next to the wall. Literally, you can touch it! The deck is about 3' long by 2.5' wide... we left it open for air occasionally, but to sit out there would have been silly. The deck had a louvered partition between the room next door's deck area of the same size. I bet their room had no view!

THE ROOM:
Our room was relatively clean and comfortable. Showing its age a bit and somewhat small, but again, we got a great rate so it didn't really seem like a big deal.

The heating and cooling is a bit fussy, and managed via a remote. I didn't like it and found it tough to dial in 'just right', so left it off to avoid the on/off of the fan. It was nice to have a wood burning fireplace with a pressed log and lighter. Really burned quickly, but I felt greedy going and looking for more, so I didn't.

The TV was small for the room I28-32"), but a contemporary LCD with satellite and a DVD player. We had more channels than we could even surf, and finally settled into watching the 10 or so HBO and Showtime channels which we don't have at home. (Did this after a long day in SF.)

There are bathrobes in the room which are lightweight, but soft and comfortable. An ironing board, iron, and umbrella, as well as two luggage racks were also available in the room. A desk, side table, cozy chair, dresser and king sized bed, were also in our room. Free wi-fi was easily accessible, fast and stable.

The bathroom (see photos) was a bit disappointing. The sink and vanity were extremely small, and we found some mildew here and there. The hairdryer installed in the bathroom was a bit fussy, so we pulled out our backup out of our luggage to use. The water pressure was good both in the shower where the amenities include shampoo, body wash and conditioner from generous containers which hang on the wall in the shower. All were very nice. NOTE: If you want to take a bath, you won't want to take it here. The tub is very, very shallow and really only keeps the water in the stall during a shower.

FERRY BOATS:
We took the ferry over to SF and had a wonderful day! The ferries have two schedules: commuter and regular, and you can get that info at the front desk. You pay for your tickets on the boat, and line up with everyone else about 10 minutes before it's time to leave. You're so close, you could stand on the back deck and watch the boat come over in time to run downstairs and catch it! TIP: Buy your tickets 'roundtrip' so you can board in SF at either Pier 39/41/ or the Ferry Terminal Building when you want to come back to Tiburon.

EATERIES:
Once back in Tiburon there are several great places to eat. We got a Groupon deal for Lilly Kai's and had fantastically fresh Chinese! They were very friendly, great food, and the fastest delivery to the table I've ever seen. Try the Cashew Chicken...

We also went to Servino's for their Happy Hour specials. Half off pizzas were fantastic, and cheap beer to go with it.

In the hotel we had options for the stairs or the elevator, which put us right at a table on the second floor which always had fresh coffee and ice water available. No refrigerators or microwaves in the room, but frankly, no need for us to have one.

The view, the creature comforts, comfortable bed, and the pleasant customer service all add to this fabulous location. While the bathroom issue and the view were not great, and the unexpected parking fee charged to my credit card was irksome, overall it was a great place to stay to use as home base for a day in San Francisco.

I would recommend it to others, but recommend calling them to make them if the room's view is important to you.

Room Tip: Garbage day seems to be on Tuesday, so avoid rooms on the ferry side of the building (near the dock...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Tartallini
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Here's a hotel whose rack rate is substantially mitigated by its amenities. True, breakfast is served in room with only limited choices. But the homemade granola, greek yogurt and fruit cup, served with juice, milk and good coffee, are both tasty and substantial. That same coffee, as well as tea, iced water and fresh apples, are available throughout the day for the taking. Every day at 5, very drinkable wines are served with cheeses, crackers, and grapes, enough to let you skip a meal. In the evening, quick-lit logs are provided for your in-room fireplace, and there is a large gas firepit on the deck in case you wish to sit out there. Parking is free, quality toiletries provided, etc. And of course, location is unbeatable. I'm addicted to bargain rates but would stay here if ever in Tiburon again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pentwater--summerjoy
BCape
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We have stayed all over the city of San Francisco and chose to stay on the other side of the bridge as an alternative this time. We chose the Waters Edge based on the great reviews and were overall happy with our choice.

The hotel is located on the tiny Main St. of Tiburon and is surrounded by cute shops and a variety of restaurants. The ferry service is just behind the hotel. Round trip into the city (via the Ferry Building) was $22 and a nice way to go into the city.

Check in was pleasant and we were upgraded to a deluxe King. Our second floor room looked out over a restaurant and had a water view at the right angle. The bed was nicely made, linens were high quality. The room had high ceilings, a flat screen TV and a fireplace we didn't use.

Breakfast in the AM is delivered to your room via a filled out questionaire you leave on your door handle at night. Our first morning we got everything we asked for and a copy of the Chronicle. Our second morning we only got a few of the items from each of our order forms and no paper. When my husband asked about it, he was told "only one person ordered". OK, but we clearly had items from each order from. We didn't bother to fight the issue at 7 AM, but I imagine someone else might have.

In the early evening they put out wine and a cheese plate with some fruit. There is always coffee, tea, water and apples out for the taking which was a great touch. There was also a computer terminal free to use and with free printing options. Wi-fi was fast and easily accessed.

Downsides:
-It was oddly noisy at night. The first night we could hear our neighbors coming in from a wedding and each night we could hear noise from outside and other noise from whatever was being done at night inside the hotel. It wasn't terrible, but noticeable.
-Parking is not free as is advertised on the Tripadvisor website. It is $13 dollars a night which I only learned when I received my online booking receipt. I informed the guy at check-in and he told me it was a good deal, but that he would look into it.
- The shower is terrible! Although the soaps provided are quite nice, the water pressure was non-existent and as a result I could barely get the shampoo out of my hair. It was hot though, so at least I was comfortable!

Overall, the above were minor issues and we enjoyed our stay. Tiburon is a fantastic alternative to a stay in the city and offers a charming and quiet retreat. Definitely consider the Waters Edge!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BCape
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 25 March 2014

The hotel has 23 rooms. This allows the staff, like Mike and Jeff to be very attentive to the customers. The view of San Francisco from the back deck was beautiful at night. Great complimentary room delivered breakfasts. The rooms were clean, and the bed was very comfortable. I would definitely stay here again.

As an aside, you can take the ferry from the dock to the Pier 39 area. Only downside to this is that the last ferry out is in the late afternoon (4PM ish).

Room Tip: Street side had a beautiful view of the quaint town.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PHX-AZ-Tourist
New York
Reviewed 22 March 2014

When I have business or pleasure in the SF area this is my place of choice. Easy ferry ride to town and not far from airport by car. Great rooms in this boutique hotel on the water in one of the best town in CA. Very upscale area. Great value. Nice desk with a fireplace at night. Will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have better water views than others. Most if not all have a gas fireplace and smal...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Adam K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tiburon
The Lodge at Tiburon
Hotel Sausalito
Hotel Sausalito
#4 of 4 in Sausalito
Holiday Inn Express Mill Valley San Francisco Area

Been to Waters Edge Hotel? Share your experiences!