“Family Overnight”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Little Rock, Arkansas
“Family Overnight”
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Two couples went for a Saturday night. The parents, son and girlfriend. It was a success.
We enjoyed the hot tub and the delicious breakfast.

We walked around in the afternoon and saw the darling town and visited the cute shops. We had dinner with a view of the San Francisco night lights.

Room Tip: We loved getting in the hot tub. It was even cold and raining, but we did it any way.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Prior to booking a room here, I read many reviews and it seemed that every 4th or 5th review was more negative or disappointing. One comment I kept seeing over and over again was that guests felt as if they paid too much for what they got and that the room and hotel did not live up to their expectations. I really wanted to be one of the positive reviews in between, but I'm afraid that after our stay, I have to agree with these guests. First, the positives. The hotel is in a fantastic location near the water and restaurants. It's easily within walking distance to shops and other attractions in Tiburon. It looks beautiful on the outside, very modern and welcoming. I love the outdoor lounge space with the fireplaces and chairs. Upon entering the lobby, I was very impressed. The layout is great and there is a nice seating area with a fireplace, which was nice considering it was pouring rain the whole weekend we were there. In the lobby, they offer water (free), and food and snacks for purchase. There is also a DVD library and some books. It was all very clean and inviting. The pool area looked nice, though we never got to use it because of the rain. With all these positives, I was very happy with my choice of hotel for this romantic weekend/birthday getaway. On the downside, the room itself did not seem to match the quality of the rest of the property. I stayed in a "recently renovated" Belvedere King room. Upon opening the door to the room, the first thing that hit me was that it smelled a bit musty and old like an old library or just a really old building. Not a big deal, but not a great first impression either. The hotel could benefit from using a little air freshener after cleaning the room. I then noticed the countertop in the bathroom looked very worn. I could see water ring stains on it as well as rust along he edges and an outline of where the old faucet fixture used to be. This material is the same as what was used on the nightstand and I also saw dozens of water ring stains on the nightstand reminding me of how many people have used this and how clean is it? The carpet in the room was just bad. Spots and stains everywhere! I did not feel comfortable walking on it without shoes on. This carpet has clearly been around for a while and if it wasn't a part of the renovation and the countertops weren't a part of the renovation, what exactly was renovated? There is a stall shower in the bathroom with a shower curtain that is as thin as a bed sheet. Anyone who showers with shower curtains frequently knows how shower curtains that aren't weighted have a tendency to blow inward during a shower. This one was all over the place so I was constantly having to step on it to keep it still and adjusting it during the shower. As soon as I would let it go it would attack me again blowing inward and creeping into my space. It was frustrating. The dispenser bottles for shampoo, conditioner, and soap are a good concept for environmentally friendly hotels, but these dispensers didn't work well and I really had to push on them several times to get more than a trickle of soap out. If it hadn't been for the rain, I wouldn't have noticed this but it struck me as odd that a hotel in a climate where it rains would put carpet outside the door of an exposed hallway. The carpet outside our door was soaking wet and every time we walked to and from our room it was like walking on a wet sponge. As I was observing this, I noticed how our room door was crooked and did not meet the ground in one corner leaving about a half inch gap. Lastly, there was a constant humming of an air conditioner or heater or some machine outside our door that made a lot of noise and caused some difficulty sleeping. I never could figure out what it was, but it was annoying and I was glad I brought my ear plugs.

I also want to note that we received unfortunate service from the Tiburon Tavern. I heard many good things about it and was excited to try it when we arrived. I walked into a nearly empty restaurant with my wife at 5:00 PM on a Saturday. I asked the woman at the front for a table for 2. We were asked if we had reservations. I said no. The woman replied that they had a lot of reservations coming in and couldn't sit us at a table. She offered us the couch in the waiting area by the entrance. I didn't want to have my dinner at the waiting area couch. She then offered a table outside in a rain storm. I said no thanks and that we will just go somewhere else. As we were walking out, she approached me and asked us to follow her. She proceeded to lead us to a nice table in the corner of the restaurant leaving us confused, angry, upset, etc. The food was good and the rest of the service was good, but frankly that whole initial experience tainted the rest of the dinner for us and this will always be known to us as that place where we had the bad service. In addition, the restaurant did not fill up the entire time we were there. We reluctantly went back the second night because everything else in town was closed and we wanted to take a dessert back to our room. A nice older man helped us this time and I really wish we encountered him the previous night.

All in all, the negatives and positives made it just an OK place. We enjoyed sitting by the fire in the lobby and relaxing there for a bit. We found it had a better atmosphere than our room. For the price, I don't think I would stay here again. For a little more, you can stay at Waters Edge down the street which appears to be a far better place.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank JHunter26
Chico, CA
Reviewed 28 January 2014

We have stayed at the Lodge for years. It is a perfect location for our trips to the Bay. We love the Museums of the City and the nature walks of Point Reyes and the Headlands and beaches. After a day in San Francisco, The Lodge is the perfect place to unwind. We prefer room service for dinner and the restaurant has everything we could want. Another reason we always stay there is their pet policy. They have always welcomed pets and now they embrace them. They built a sweet little dog park area that is grass and fenced in. It was perfect for our little doxie. They also put in a charming community garden with a neighboring school.

Just to comment to Chuck96236, the ice machine is on the second floor to keep non guests from getting free ice.

Room Tip: We love the number 100 rooms. They are on the first floor with a lovely Smith and Hawkins sitting a...
Green Features: In room recycle bins are very handy and appreciated. The community garden has an excellent drip system. That is very smart for water conservation .
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
sietse1472, General Manager at The Lodge at Tiburon, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Dear suwick,
Thank you for your comment on the Lodge at Tiburon. I am very glad to hear that you find the Lodge to be the perfect place to stay for your trips to the Bay Area. I am happy that you have found the amenities around the Lodge to suite you, your family, and your dog for your stay. The little dog park in the back area is the perfect place for pet owners to walk their dogs. Please let me know if I can make future arrangements for your next stay to the Bay Area.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Sweetly nestled in the heart of rustic and homey town of Tiburon (a great little weekend getaway from San Francisco) The Lodge at Tiburon is the perfect choice! My husband and I had never visited San Francisco together (let alone Tiburon) and were hoping to find a romantic place to stay and weren't sure what to expect, but we booked a room from a block of rooms reserved for my friend's wedding and are truly glad we did! Bottom line: room was fantastic and the customer service was impeccable. (Having planned my own wedding last year, I felt compelled to write this review because I know how important these little details are and what a nightmare booking a block of rooms can be, so if you are a bride planning a wedding in Marin County, Sausalito, or the Headlands Art Center – you must send your guests to The Lodge at Tiburon!)

The room was gorgeous, spacious and had a spectacular view of the beautiful scenery. Absolutely breath-taking! Plus I actually got sleep! The bed was insanely comfortable – tight fitting soft sheets on a magical mattress. And it was so quiet! So blissfully quiet. On top of that, we had ample space and glorious views of the starlit hills just a stone's throw from the property.

The hotel is also eco friendly (which I love) but, like most eco friendly hotels, the only draw back with environmental responsibility is often the shower's water pressure. (Now that's not necessarily a problem, but I felt like I needed to say something “negative” to legitimize this review because otherwise the room was perfect.) In addition, the pool and jacuzzi were both a relaxing treat and their bar at the Tiburon Tavern was lively and fun if you didn't feel like leaving the grounds (great place to watch a game!).

As far as customer service goes, if you're fickle about being taken care of on your trip, the staff was really what made this hotel shine. The quality of the staff will make or break a hotel stay for me and The Lodge at Tiburon staff was fantastic... I'm kind of a snob about hotels and I must to say that everyone we dealt with was polite, warm, helpful, intelligent, and professional. On arrival, we were in a rush to make a wedding, and the staff took great care to assure us that our bags would be handled and brought to our room - we would not have made the wedding on time without their help! Throughout our stay they were attentive for our every need and provided that extra layer of relaxation you crave on a weekend getaway.

You can't do better than The Lodge at Tiburon in Marin County or Sausalito - highly recommend it and will definitely be coming back again!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Athena W
Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

I came here with my family and stayed here for 2 nights. The hotel supplies guests with free Wi-Fi, DVDs and many other things. A few problems we experienced was, first, the trouble getting to Tiburon from the city especially after 7 Pm because there is no form of transport to the hotel except the ferry, taxi or if you have your own car. Secondly, the walls and doors aren't sound proof ... At all. Which means people next door can hear what you are saying unless you are whispering or talking very quietly.

Overall my experience at this hotel was great and I would recommend it to people.

Stayed January 2014
Dear Arvin B,
Thank you for your review on the Lodge at Tiburon. I am happy to hear you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. We hope that the next time you come to the Bay Area you choose to stay at the Lodge. Please feel free to let me know if I can make arrangements for any transportation to the hotel for you and your family as well.
Linden, California
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Just got back from a 2 day shopping trip to San Francisco. As there was an Oracle convention in SF had to book a room outside so booked 2 rooms (with companions) over the phone at the Lodge at Tiburon. Had not stayed there before but it is well situated in the pretty little town of Tiburon. Not much went right from then on. I had booked the two rooms on the phone and was told the charge would be $180 for each. To jump to the end, when I checked out I was told that my room had been an upgrade and was charged $199 for that room. As this was an involuntary upgrade that I did not request I wondered why I should be charged the additional. Did not get an answer to that. The OTHER problems included: 1. I was told on the phone that I and my 2 traveling companions would get a free cocktail in the Lodge Tavern. We did, but we were limited to apple martinis rather than a choice of cocktails. 2. We had dinner in the Tavern, and the service was excruciatingly slow. 3. At night, the companion in the other room was awakened much of the night by noise in the next room. 4. There was no ice machine in the hotel so you had to call the front desk for a tiny portion of ice to be brought to the room (of course a tip was expected). 5. Both rooms called the front desk and asked for a 7 a.m. wake up call. NEITHER room EVER got the wake up call so we were on our own to wake up. On the plus side, as I said, the hotel is well situated and the room is nice enough, but then again we paid almost $200 a night per room without amenities expected in a much less expensive hotel. I almost forgot, not only was there not an included breakfast, there wasn't even a continental breakfast. Being used to staying in Comfort Inn and Suites (for less money) I expected at least a breakfast roll or something.

Room Tip: Don't waste your money.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Chuck95236
Dear Chuck95236,
I want to apologize for the stay went with us at the Lodge at Tiburon. Please feel free to contact me directly and I would be like to take the opportunity to invite you back to the Lodge to see if we can make a more positive memorable experience. We want all of our guests to have a positive lasting memory from their stay in the Tiburon area.
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 15 January 2014

There are 2 hotels in Tiburon. We initially chose the Lodge at Tiburon for the price and availability. The parking can be tricky, but very doable. The staff at check-in was very pleasant and professional. They pointed our way, and after walking through a courtyard and up a stairway, we found our room. The room was nicely appointed, very comfortable, but small. I booked a room on the second floor with a balcony (an additional $20), but it was well worth it. The views were nice, and the morning sun shown in our large balcony windows in the mornings, very pleasant. The food at the hotel restaurant was very good and the wait staff was knowledgeable and pleasant to talk with. Tiburon is a small quaint little town with some fantastic restaurants and the Lodge at Tiburon is situated right in the middle. We most definitely plan on returning to Tiburon.

Room Tip: Second floors with balconies are great, well worth the up-charge.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Garytrav
sietse1472, General Manager at The Lodge at Tiburon, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Dear Garytrav,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the Lodge at Tiburon. I am glad to hear that my staff was able to provide friendly and comfortable services during your stay. The balcony is a nice addition to have to a room as it allows you to sit outside and relax with the pool view. I am happy that you plan to return to the Tiburon area in the future. The hotel is in a convenient location to the many shops, restaurants, and ferry. Please let me know if I can make future arrangements for your stay with us at the Lodge.
Sietse Nabben
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tiburon
Casa Madrona Hotel and Spa
Hotel Sausalito
Hotel Sausalito
#4 of 4 in Sausalito
Holiday Inn Express Mill Valley San Francisco Area

Been to The Lodge at Tiburon? Share your experiences!