“Great and Not-So-Great”

The Lodge at Tiburon
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Tiburon
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I stayed quite a few days at the Lodge, and had some memorably wonderful experiences, and some I would like to forget. First, let me say that the staff at the counter is wonderful. I just loved Nour who was a delight to talk to, and incredibly knowledgeable. Whenever she was at the desk, I knew that I would be helped and assisted, and Nour always had a smile on her face. Jeffrey was also wonderfully helpful and accommodating in every way to help all the guests when they arrived. Now to the UGH! part...
I must say first that Will Farrow (the manager) was always gracious and helpful when I told him some of the things I found lacking. He even did help me with the payment for one room that was not the one that I was supposed to have. The room was not clean; it had stains on the carpet and bed; the air conditioner was noisy. The cleaners did not vacuum, and after I told them that I needed the floor vacuumed, she looked at me and asked, "You want it vacuumed?" The amenities were hard to come by, and I had to ask for them several times. The steps in the hall were not vacuumed either. There were no towels in the pool a couple of times, and Will did correct this.
Yet, I must say that for the price, and the beauty of the town of Tiberon, the Lodge was worth it. It's just that I was expecting so much more from the photos. The restaurant was good, as was the breakfast. I will return, but I hope Will clears up everything by then!

Room Tip: Upper level with a balcony . Even though the room is smaller that the one without one, I found that...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank Amie1717
Will F, General Manager at The Lodge at Tiburon, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear Amie1717,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review. I enjoyed getting to know you during your stay and appreciate your valuable suggestions for improvement. I also thank you for mentioning Nour and Jeffrey in such a positive light. I know they both enjoyed visiting with you during your stay. I was delighted to read your excellent comments on service.

As you wrote, we are striving to reach the next level. I hope you'll agree that we are well on our way. With constructive feedback like yours, it is within reach. I am confident that your next stay will merit the full 5 stars!

Warm regards,

Will Farrow

Write a ReviewReviews (1,561)

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Room was clean and everything was in order, definitely a musty smell though, perhaps previously smoked in. Air conditioning unit was very loud and stopped me getting to sleep easily. Breakfast was enjoyable though and service was good.

Their website states that free high-speed internet would be available. Depsite a speed test reporting back 3Mbps which while I wouldn't call high speed, should be just about enough for a skype call, skype failed to work correctly. The wifi system they use inserts a banner on every web page advising you to upgrade to their premium WiFi (costs $3.99 for 1 hour) which after I did so enabled me to make a skype call successfully. The inserted banner unfortunately looks terrible on iphone and made some websites non functional on mobile devices.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank lewispb
Reviewed 2 August 2014

super friendly staff, accommodating with parking before check in to go on the Angel Island Ferry for the day and free upgrade to balcony room as well as extended check out time. Location right in the center of cute town of Tiburon for restaurants or a market/deli across the street. Super comfortable "downy" beds and fresh, clean, decor. Swimming pool, lounge area, and hot tub very inviting and outdoor spaces with fireplaces and lounging areas very nice! Restaurant looked nice too, (indoor and outdoor seating - but it's not on the water). Large DVD selection in lobby, computers,and iPads available for use. Jeffery was so helpful and gracious at the desk! Walls a little thin and floors creaked - get a top floor to avoid the footsteps of others above you. Mom, sister, and I had a great "Stay-cation" here.

Room Tip: Walls a little thin and floors creaked - get a top floor to avoid the elephants.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Michele M
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Pros: Location, lobby, outside amenities, free parking, price vs SF hotels

Cons: The rooms. Filthy stained carpet, smelled like urine, busted screen, smoker in next balcony too lazy to find designated smoking area, needs upgrade.

Pass on this deceiving place.

Stayed: July 2014
6  Thank Dominic T
Will F, General Manager at The Lodge at Tiburon, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Dear Dominic T,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I am so sorry that you had an unpleasant experience. I am very concerned that you found your room in such a condition since most of our guests praise our attention to cleanliness. We are reviewing this with all of our staff and retraining to ensure we correct any problems as soon as they occur.

With regard to the other guest smoking, all guests must sign an acknowledgement of our 100% smoke free policy upon arrival (we offer a designated smoking area adjacent to the parking lot). As soon as we we are informed of, or observe, a guest smoking on a balcony or anywhere else in the building, we immediately take the necessary action to stop them. I apologize we did not stop this offender.

Thank you again for your frank and constructive review.

Best regards,

The Lodge at Tiburon

Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

The pictures are deceiving. The grounds are fairly nice but the rooms are awful. Upon entering the room you are hit with an awful smell of old musty furniture. The carpet was horribly stained and our screen to the balcony had giant holes. I am not sure how a place like this stays in business. Could not wait to leave this hotel.

Stayed: July 2014
8  Thank LouieTee
Will F, General Manager at The Lodge at Tiburon, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Dear LouieTee,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Please accept my sincere apologies and my assurance that this is not typical nor acceptable for our team. As soon as we notice or a guest reports any odor or stains such as you describe, we immediately set to work deep cleaning the affected room.

I hope that you will contact me to arrange a return visit to experience what so many other guests have raved about in positive reviews. Once you have done that, I'm confident that you'll be writing a new 5-star review.

Best regards,

Reviewed 28 July 2014

We made last minute reservations for two rooms and were pleasantly surprised to be on the top floor (3rd floor) facing the hills in the back which provided a fairly quite environment. The rooms were clean and fairly spacious. (Request a room with a bay window for a bit more space.) The hotel itself has a retro feel of the 60s, but it has been updated to feel contemporary. There are cozy and comfortable seating areas throughout the public areas so there are lots of places to gather with friends or family. The pool was a popular spot and lots of families were taking advantage of it. We spent an afternoon at the bar watching a game and the service and food were both great. At the restaurant, you can enjoy outdoor or indoor seating and watch the world go by! We will return - it's a great spot for a staycation!

Room Tip: request a bay window for extra space
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Clearly, the hotel is in a great location. Super easy access to an ideal bayside running/biking path in beautiful Tiburon. Lots of seating outside with fire pits/fireplaces. A standout was the wonderful, friendly staff. However, room and room amenities were average. Then again, why would you spend much time in your room while visiting Tiburon?

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tiburon
Casa Madrona Hotel and Spa
Waters Edge Hotel
Waters Edge Hotel
#1 of 2 in Tiburon
Holiday Inn Express Mill Valley San Francisco Area

Been to The Lodge at Tiburon? Share your experiences!