Miyako Hybrid Hotel
Hotels.com
US$197
US$175
US$160
All reviewsjapanese stylesoaking tubmitsuwa marketjapanese supermarketfood courtrain showerdeep bathtubjapanese bathroomjapanese hotelsthe heated toilet seathotel restaurantfree wifilos angelestorrance areabusiness hotelthe south bay areamini fridge
Reviewed 22 February 2011

If you are in Torrance, CA, this would be my recommendation. It's a clean, well-appointed hotel and the staff were very pleasant. The porter was very personable as he took our bags to the room and explained the features and services available to us.

The bathrooms are extremely well equipped with a wonderful Japanese style shower/bath and the room had a small fridge, coffee maker/teas, bath slippers and a very comfortable bed.

For the price point (booked on hotels.com), it was fantastic!

The only negative was that there were some loud folks in the neighbouring room (on a Sunday evening) and I was awakened by their music and voices at a late hour. Certainly not the hotel's fault, just the luck of the draw I suppose.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Cheriedavis1, General Manager at Miyako Hybrid Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2011

We really appreciate that you took the time to write such a nice review. I was dissappointed to hear that your stay was disturbed by noise, but hope that you found the rest of your visit enjoyable. Sincerely,

Reviewed 5 January 2011

I loved staying at this hotel. The staff is so polite and helpful, it reminded me of staying in a 5+ star hotel in Asia. The neighborhood is not great but it's centrally located so everything is 20-30 minute drive. It's one of the few hotels in US that has a bidet. Plenty of free parking available across the street.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Cheriedavis1, General Manager at Miyako Hybrid Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2011

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We share these with the staff and they very very excited to read your review. We look forward to seeing you againb.
All the Best,

Reviewed 2 January 2011

My partner and I went sightseeing in LA for 4ish days. We chose the Miyako Hybrid Hotel as our "home base" for travels throughout the LA Metropolitan area. We chose this hotel because it had free (yes, free as in free) self-parking. Most other hotels in LA, especially those closer to downtown LA charged up to $40-50 for either/both valet or self-parking. Also, the hotel seemed to be in a safe neighborhood that was centrally located to most LA attractions.

When booking the hotel, I expected a level of service and decor commensurate with the amount I was paying ($125-135). So, I figured that the Miyako would be a Japanese version of a Holiday Inn Express.

However, as soon as you walk into the hotel, I realized that my experience was going to be more similar to a 4 or 5 star hotel. Check-in was friendly, efficient, and effective. The bell hop (Nick or Nate?) escorted us to the room and showed the various features, provided an overview of the hotel services, told us a little bit of history on the City of Torrance, and was just incredibly welcoming. In general, the staff of this hotel really goes out of their way to be helpful to their guests. (For example, on a rainy day, they provided complimentary umbrellas for us to use.)

But, of course, in a hotel you are spending most of your time in the room, instead of talking to the staff...

The room itself was superb. The bed, pillows, and linens were unbelievably comfortable. The room itself was quite large (we were in the deluxe room). The overall surroundings, furniture, and level of cleanliness exceeded expectations and were darn near perfect. The in-room *complimentary* wi-fi was as fast as an at-home broadband connection, compared to the exorbitantly priced dial up-speed connections I've used at most business-class hotels.

Having never used a Japanese bathroom, I found the experience interesting. I've never seen a toilet that had so many "options." As for the shower, it's pretty much the same as a western shower, except you have the option to sit down and shower, instead of stand-up.

Finally, on the last day, the staff left complimentary cookies on the desk in the room. They were tasty.

Other thoughts and tips:

1. If you make a reservation in advance, I'd check for sales/discounts closer to your reservation date. We saved $100 by "rebooking" our room when a promotion was announced after our initial booking.

2. The Japanese food court/warehouse across the street is quite authentic and is a treat in itself. If you try anything, take a look at the very impressive selection of saki.

3. The hotel's breakfast buffet is extremely good and worth the $15. I ate on the "western" side and had omlets and french toast. I tried a few foods on the Japanese side, but it didn't really float my boat.

4. If you drive a hybrid car/rental, you get to park in special parking spaces near the valet area.

Overall, the entire time I was staying here, I thought that I was paying significantly less than the value that I was receiving. If you are visiting LA, I'd book this hotel before the daily room rate begins to match the level of service that is actually provided.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you for writing such a great review. We share these reviews with our staff and it is so rewarding to know that we are acheiving our goal to provide excellent service in a first class property. It was wonderful to have you as our guest and we look forward to seeing you again. Sincerely,

Reviewed 1 December 2010

The Miyako Hybrid Hotel is a lovely hotel in Torrance. The atmosphere is serene and tranquil, very Asian in appearance and overall environment. The staff is very friendly and always with a smile. The rooms are lovely and well appointed. The bathroom is great with a large shower. The counter space could be a bit larger for two people, but certainly is adaquate. The fitness facility has the latest equipment and also comes with two Wiis for an alternative workout. The spa is what you look for in a spa, fitting in nicely with the Asian influence. We had messages and they were wonderful. I would certainly stay here again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family

Dear Seattle,
Thank you for taking the time to write a lovely review. We love to serve guests such as yourself. The staff sends their regards and we hpe to see you again.

Reviewed 29 October 2010

I did not stay overnight, but attended a meeting at this hotel. I also took advantage of the spa services and enjoyed the hotel restaurant, Gonpachi.

The first view from afar is that of a simple and plain exterior - the most eye catching feature are the solar panels. As you approach the lobby, however, the surprising details become apparent. A couple of rain chains accent the exterior lobby entrance. The lobby and conference areas, while not large, are elegantly contemporary. The hotel staff was very attentive and pleasant. Overall, a very pleasant surprise for a Torrance hotel located adjacent to a business park and a strip mall (albeit, one that has a Mitsuwa and another terrific restaurant, Musha).

The spa, also smaller in scale and not a Burke-Williams type of experience, is nonetheless clean, beautiful and very relaxing. I indulged in the special package which included a 50 minute Shiatsu massage with lunch at Gonpachi. At a shade under $109!

Gonpachi was another pleasant surprise. Contemporary decor with an Asian twist. The fresh soba noodles. And, the personalized service was simply outstanding. I need to go back - the description of the prix fixe menus was very tempting and reasonably priced.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business