“Great for a quick meal”
Review of 1321 Downtown Taproom Bistro - CLOSED

1321 Downtown Taproom Bistro
Price range: US$29 - US$31
Cuisines: Gastropub
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Torrance Blvd.
Description: 1321 Downtown Taproom Bistro (1321), located in downtown Torrance, serves inspired American pubfare, artisanal cocktails, and craft beers and wines in a stylish, comfortable and convivial setting. Serving weekend brunch, lunch, late lunch and dinner seven days a week, 1321 promises to anchor the downtown Torrance dining scene with its delicious, yet approachable menus made from the freshest seasonal ingredients, and its inclusive, service-driven philosophy that authentically cares about its guests and community. The first venture from the MOD (manage/operate/develop) Restaurant Group, 1321 brings a MODern sensibility to the very old world charm and hospitality of a classic American taproom.
Reviewed 26 January 2013

I had lunch here last week. Unlike alot of places in old Torrance, it has plenty of parking onsite. A big plus.

The menu is eclectic with large portions. All four of us had different meals and thoroughly enjoyed them. The fish and chips were reallly good. Service was prompt and very helpful.

This is definitely on my list for future lunches in the Torrance area

1  Thank Ian B

Reviewed 25 May 2012

Eight of us went for dinner and found the following:

An awesome beer menu
Beer and bacon tasters on Wednesday night. (Everyone loved the pepper bacon!)
Christina, the most knowledgable beertender we've ever met
A meat-heavy menu that they modified for the vegan in our group. (His dinner was great.)
Really good food. (I loved the wild boar burger.)
The right amount of background noise for conversation at our table
Great service and good prices.

It will be our new spot for Torrance business trips!

1  Thank WetSactraveler
Reviewed 14 April 2012

great atmosphere, different from anything else in torrance. it seems as though it would be a place found somewhere on melrose rather than downtown torrance. the food at gastropubs are always a bit skeptical for me but the delivery was amazing. mac n cheese to die for.

1  Thank paigeriee
Reviewed 2 January 2012

I had my doubts coming into this place and wanted to dispel the hype. My hubby and I live walking distance to this place and regularly walk by this restaurant and it's been pretty happening. I initially figured it's because there really aren't that many 'trendy' places in Torrance, much less Old Town Torrance and whoever called OT Torrance hipsterville must have overlooked the random vitamin store next door to this place.

But, I was wrong and I'm not afraid to admit it. The vibe in this place is classic and charming (read other reviews for the lowdown on the ambiance). The food was pretty darn good. We ordered the mac & cheese as an appetizer. I'm asian - I don't eat cheese for obvious reasons. But this mac & cheese was made perfectly. There was a nice crisp top and the mac was cooked perfectly. It wasn't too greasy and I surprisingly tolerated the cheese. :)

The hubby ordered the MOD Burger which was good but not amazing, our friend ordered the Turkey Burger which he said was good, and I had the Fish & Chips - which were amazing! You get about 2 huge pieces of fish and then two smaller pieces onto a bed of steak fries. The fish were meaty and the breading was light and crispy. I didn't feel grossed out from the grease, which was a good sign.

Lastly we shared the brownie that comes with coffee ice cream. I usually pass on dessert but this one pretty much ended the meal perfectly. The ice cream was creamy and smooth, but not too sweet. The brownie was more cake-like and topped with a chocolate cream.

I wouldn't come here on a regular basis since the prices are a tad high but I would definitely recommend coming on Tuesdays for the Torrance locals night.

1  Thank TeenyWahine
Reviewed 31 October 2011

1321 Taproom and Bistro a great hidden gem in the older part of Torrance. It's Awesome! Food is farm fresh, organic, the menu changes weekly, but they do have their staples. They have a Mac N Cheese Monday that'll blow your mind, it's different every Monday. They even have a Movie night, sit back order some food and drinks and watch a great movie, excellent date night or boys or girls night out. Also great for your sports watching fans, without all the yelling.
The decor is well done, classy, yet relaxing. If you get lucky on the bar side ask for DJ the bartender, he will make your night, he's an excellent judge of their craft beers & wines, and makes an excellent mixed drink. They are very good at food pairing too.
This is a Gastropub so the fair is excellent wether it be food or drinks, and the service is great. Check out their website. PS: for you ladies bring a sweater, it can a little chilly on the restaurant side.

1  Thank NettCH1