“Dodgy wifi but very good overall”

Staybridge Suites Torrance
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Torrance
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Dodgy wifi but very good overall”
Reviewed 26 December 2013

This hotel is a very good find. Take a 2nd floor room and you'll not have to hear the children running around above you. Not sure what was up with the wifi. I could download my e-mails but could not log on to any website including IHG so I could not make further reservations. I complained to the desk and he offered to give me a cable but had none. He said there was one in the suite which there was not. Upon check out another lady came to complain she couldn't get on at all.
I'll give it another shot.

Room Tip: Ask for 2nd floor
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Korean first
New Delhi, Delhi, India
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Very comforatble hotel and the suites are good and well equipped, we stay regularly there and the location is very good and the whole ambience is very homely.
As we are vegetarians, our only suggestio is to have something vegetarian on the breakfast menu.
Overall a great palce and good for business and fun.....

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Richmond
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We had a two-room suite with two bathrooms for less than the price of two typical mid-range hotel rooms. The suite includes a good-sized living room and kitchen as well. A great deal!

Staff was consistently friendly and helpful, even when very busy. Included breakfast consisted of lots of choices, including eggs and sausage, fruit, cheese, oatmeal, waffles, etc.

Location was quiet, in the midst of a business park, away from large streets - yet very close to the many large shopping areas of Torrance.

We were there on a busy weekend. This presented a couple of issues that are probably not present for weekday business travelers. First, if you happen to get a noisy group of guests the noise travels easily due to the way the suites are constructed (lots of open space). Second, breakfast can get close to being a contact sport if you wait until late morning - just lots of people trying to do the same thing at the same time.

Room Tip: Recommend rooms farthest away from the central open area if you are looking for the best chance for...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Peoria, Arizona
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Becoming a regular at Staybridge Suites. We booked a two bedroom/two bathroom unit which is ideal for our needs. Less than booking two separate rooms and its great to have a kitchen. The grounds were nice, great pool and nice breakfast (eggs, meat, pancakes, breads, cheeses, fresh fruit, juice, coffee plus hot and cold cereals) which is included in the price. The location was central to everywhere that we wanted to go.

Room Tip: I think that all of the rooms are probably good. Maybe a little noisy around the pool area.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Placerville, California
Reviewed 22 October 2013

This hotel has it all. Convenient location. Very nice rooms. Pleasant grounds. An accommodating staff. I really enjoyed my recent stay at this hotel. The rooms are spacious and well furnished. The kitchen is large with a full sized refrigerator and dishwasher. The only reason I didn't give Staybridge 5 stars was the Internet service. It is very weak and I couldn't even sign on to e-mail. In today's market this is really not acceptable. We were informed during our stay that this is something the hotel is workiing to correct. I hope sooner rather than later as this is a hotel I would stay at again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Long Island, New York
Reviewed 22 October 2013

After reading the reviews of this property here on TripAdvisor, I knew this would be a great choice for us while in the Los Angeles area. I'm happy I decided to stay here.

I usually like to stay in all-suite properties as the rooms always have more space and you get more value for your money. In addition, I like to try to stay in suburban areas because it's easier to get around (of course, you'll need a rental car).

We arrived around 9pm on a Saturday night (after a long 6 hour flight from NY) and were greeted by a front desk clerk who was courteous and helpful (didn't get his name). Check-in was speedy and we got the room we requested, a 2-bedroom suite. The room was very spacious and very clean. We appreciated the large living room with a kitchen area, couch and TV. The two bedrooms were very large and each had their own separate bathrooms. Keep in mind that this property has no elevators, so if you don't want to carry your luggage upstairs (the property has only 2 floors), request a 1st floor room if you can. The rooms in this hotel were recently redone, so everything is modern and looks brand new. Again, everything was very clean.

The hotel has a nice courtyard which contains the pool, a barbecue, tropical greenery and places to sit and enjoy your breakfast.
Speaking of breakfast, the hotel includes a free continental breakfast every morning. There are your typical cereals, oatmeal, fruit, eggs, etc. There were also some hot items which appeared to change every day, such as bacon, sausages and different types of eggs.
The hotel also offers free "manager's receptions" on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights- which is basically like a complimentary dinner, but we weren't able to take advantage of this. There is a calendar on the fridge in the rooms that explains what is available each night.

Side note- parking and wifi are free, which is a rarity in the LA area.

The area is very suburban in character and more than safe. The closest interstates are the 405, 91 and 110, all of which are within 5 minutes from the hotel. ExxonMobil's refinery property is across the street but the actual property is a decent length away so it wasn't a bother. LAX airport is 15 minutes away and Long Beach airport is about the same. We appreciated that fact that the interstate was so close, but the hotel isn't directly on it.

I like staying on the Westside of Los Angeles county when I go because it's convenient to everything. Redondo Beach (a beautiful community) is only 10 minutes from the hotel and has a nice pier, restaurants and shops. There are plenty of restaurants nearby as well, and the Del Amo Fashion Center (shopping mall) is within 5 minutes. You can be in Santa Monica, Downtown LA or Hollywood within 20-25 minutes (without traffic of course). There's just an endless amount of things to do.

One thing to keep in mind- the hotel places a $200 hold on your credit card for incidentals. The hold is released the day you check out. I didn't mind this policy (it's the same thing for rental cars and pretty standard) but I don't believe I was told this at check-in. I only found out after checking with my credit card account online randomly. I stopped by the front desk and the manager was there so I checked with him (he was super nice and friendly). So, just keep that in mind.

Anyway- I definitely recommend staying here. The rooms are modern, spacious and the hotel is in a great location with great amenities. Staff was always very helpful. You won't be disappointed staying here.

Room Tip: Request a 1st floor room if you have heavy luggage- no elevators here!!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank jasonk287
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2013

My family and I have just come back fro a holiday of a lifetime in California and stayed at the Staybridge suites in T orrence. We were over the moon with our suit how modern and clean it was with the welcome pack of tea coffee and popcorn. We saved a fortune on breakfasts because of the free buffet in the morning and welcoming buffet 3 times a week which was brilliant because if my husband and I wanted a drink there was free wine and Budweiser available. The Pool and jacuzzi was clean and comfortable. There was a free laundry service which I took advantage of before coming home. There was coffee and tea available constantly and nothing was too much trouble with the staff including the shuttle service which on my husbands birthday the driver R overt kindly went a little out of his way to take us out for a meal. It was a pretty central to most things but in fact just far enough to be out of the way from the hustle and bustle of hollywood. We took a road trip for two nights to Vegas but found we couldn't wait to get "home" to Staybridge with all the lovely staff. I thoroughly recommend the Staybridge suites on all levels. My family and I would love to go back Again one day.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family