“Convenient, Nice, Good for extended stays”

Staybridge Suites Torrance
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Torrance
“Convenient, Nice, Good for extended stays”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

The grounds are layed out nicely, offering BBQ's and Gazebos for outdoor dining if you choose to cook your own food, my room was like an apartment with full size Refridgerator and two burner stove, dishes and utensils, parking is right in front of the room, to me its nice but a couple of nights no parking for handicap so I had to park quite a distance from my room and use my walker to get to the room. Pets are allowed and the room above me had a barking dog most of the day while the people were out, not loud but noticeable. Convenient location to Fashion Mall and many restaurants. Stayed here many times and still prefer to stay here even with the distractions.

Room Tip: the buildings are up to 3 stories with no elevators, so If you dont like stairs request lower level...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Glenn-Tam
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites Torrance, responded to this review, 6 April 2014
Dear Glenn-Tam,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I am pleased to know that you had a satisfactory stay at our hotel and are delighted to hear that you found our hotel of good value, nice and clean. I appreciate feedback that we receive, whether positive and negative to ensure we provide the best level of service and facilities that we can give to our guests. Thank you again for your review and I hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Korean first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

This is what could'a been a great place to stay, and by all rights, should'a been, but as in the title, it wasn't. Now, don't get me wrong. My wife and I have stayed at the Torrance Staybridge Suites every year for about a couple of weeks for the last 8 years during our winter vacation. When we first started coming it was great, and in most respects has continued on that way. The amenities this hotel offers have been excellent. But during those 8 years, one thing has been declining. Their Internet (WiFi / wifi) connection. Now this may not be a big deal for some people, and if not, the Staybridge offers much that others don't. BUT, if it IS important, and it is important to many these days, it is essential that a good connection be available, especially if they advertise it. Guests bring laptops, iPads and other tablets as well as cellphones. Hi-tech is here to stay, and many, maybe even most already have some of them. So having an internet connection is pretty much a forgone conclusion. Literally all hotels and motels now have high speed wifi.

Let me tell you what happened to us during this stay in February.

My wife and I stayed at the Staybridge Torrance for a couple of nights last November. At that time the internet connection was putrid, as it had been getting over the years. I happened to talk to the General Manager, Jaime about that, and she said then that she knew it and it was going to be finally rectified. She said that in January, a completely new state of the art, high speed system was going to be installed and once and for all, the internet problem was going to be a thing of the past. Great! Music to my ears. I told her that we were going to be coming back in late January or February, and she said it should be all installed, up and running and ready to go. Fine. I said I’d call her when we were coming back.

We called her and made a new reservation for February. I asked her about the wifi. She said it was in the process of being installed and should be up and running by the time we got there. We checked in, and when we tried to get online, couldn’t connect. Since a new password system was being implemented for it, I assumed (wrongly of course) that I was doing something wrong. I called the 800 tech support number that was prominently listed for just such an occasion. After almost an hour on the phone with a senior tier tech that evening, he said that the problem was at the hotel and there was nothing that they could do until the hotel fixed whatever was wrong on their end. Great, here we go again.

The next morning I asked to speak to Jaime and was told that she was in a meeting, and left word that I would like to speak to her about the internet not working. This scenario went on for several days with excuses given for her absence every day. I did talk to other staff and did come to find out that there was a problem with the internet and the reason was that a “missing circuit” of the system had not been installed, and therefore, no internet. It was to be delivered on a Thursday. Come Friday, no missing circuit. As I understand it, it came Saturday, but of course it was a weekend, and nothing would get done. Come Monday, still no internet. And of course, no Jaime. We talked to other guests, and they too said that they had no internet, and no one was telling them what was going on either. I guess you had to specifically seek out a manager, and ask the right questions to get an answer. Tuesday I found out that Jaime was being promoted and thus leaving this property. I asked a supervisor for someone in charge that I could talk to about this ridiculous runaround I’d been getting. I received a call in my room from Marilyn, the Operations Manager. I told her what had been going on, and she told me that everyone knew that the internet was out and that they had lost a lot of business because of it. I asked why I was never told that it was “officially out” and was led to believe that it would likely come online any day, any moment? She said no one knew when that would happen, and if I was unhappy, knowing it wasn’t working, why didn’t we move to another hotel where it was working. I explained that I was trying to get answers from the one person who told me that it was supposed to be up and running, but no one seemed to think that it was important to tell us the truth. Had we been told at check in that it wasn’t going to get online anytime soon, we would have gone to another hotel. But we weren’t ever told that, so how would we have known? Every day we expected it to be fixed. I guess they didn’t want to spread the word around out loud. Now remember, we’ve been staying there for around a couple of weeks every year. You would think that they would at least tell us up front. That’s all I needed to know, but being strung along thinking that it was going to be fixed while we were there was certainly NOT the right way to treat ANY guests. I asked for a room rate adjustment due to this lack of communication on their part. I even said that they should do whatever they thought was appropriate and right. They said pretty much plain and simple, no. So I thanked her and hung up.

I then called IHG Corporate, and told them the story. They heard what happened, called the hotel, talked to Marilyn, and were “convinced” that the handling of this situation on her part was not in the best interests of IHG or their guests, and I assume that it was suggested to her to fix this now! We were given a rate adjustment of one night. Was I happy with the final outcome? No, not really, but I said that I would go along with their decision, and I did.

It has always been my contention, that in any service business, a company never wants to alienate a customer and do something that can drive business away. I guess this will have to be a lesson learned at this property.

Until the wifi issue is resolved it would be incumbent on any potential guest to do your due diligence and call the hotel and find out clearly, concisely and factually if the internet is working at all. I mean is there high speed access period. Because if you are told anything other than it's working really fast, then it's likely close to being worthless. Dial up would probably be faster. And ask how many megabits per second your connection will be.

I hope that your experience will be better than ours, especially if you have the misfortune to bring a hi-tech wifi laden piece of electronics with you and you want to use it there. But then, as they say, YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).

If it wasn't for the wifi issue, it would have been a great experience. My service rating relates ONLY to the wifi, not to housekeeping or other service personnel other NOT involved in this problem. My overview rating reflects the wifi issue with all of the other excellent qualities of this property. If I took out wifi out of the equation, the rating would have been excellent, but "overview" means everything, so I had to somehow downgrade it. Just trying to be honest and as accurate as possible.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank fromjusttheking
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites Torrance, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Dear fromjusttheking,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. I am glad to see that you left some feed back on what you liked as well as what fell below your expectations. We certainly do our utmost to make your stay comfortable and pleasant, so we are very pleased to note that you were satisfied with the facilities and the location of the hotel. Most importantly, I would like to apologize for the overall dissatisfaction you had experienced due to the internet connection. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014 via mobile

Needing a base to work from for a week I found the Staybridge Suites an excellent place to stay. Upon arrival the staff were efficient, attentive, very helpful and most pleasant in every way.
My suite was spacious, comfortable, tastefully decorated, immaculately clean and well equipped. In fact these guys have thought about everything in terms of getting you started and installed in the suite.
In the mornings a continental or cooked buffet breakfast is available to suit most tastes and ensures a good start to the day plus, Tuesday to Thursday a complimentary evening meal is offered with free drinks (beer) included.
The Staybridge complex is built with three floors of apartments forming a large square with ample parking around the outside, with a central courtyard containing a swimming pool, BBQ's, numerous seats and hang outs on the inside.
There is a well equipped fitness room and of great importance to most travellers these days, is internet access and this necessity is well provided for with good connection speed, free of charge.
In summary, this is a great place to stay, you'll be well looked after and has to be recommended if the location suits your needs. The only tip I would offer, is to request a ground floor room if you have any mobility issues, as its bit of a climb to the third floor last thing at night!
To all the Staybridge staff.... Thank you your doing a great job!

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
nj
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

With all my travels I never tried Staybridge and like other lesser brands was afraid and wrong here. Greeted with a warm welcome and nice upgrade and told if I need anything to ask.
Room was simple and basic but nice kitchen and living area so plenty of space and clean.
Only minimal housekeeping here unless requested but simple and easy and almost like home.

Breakfast just ok but no big deal
parking ok
coffee always going and needed
convenient location for me

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Rich W
Anchorage, Alaska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

We originally booked the hotel for five days, and ended up staying there over 2 weeks. We had a 2 bedroom suite which was great for privacy. The bedrooms were seperated by the kitchen and living room. Everything was clean in the hotel. All the staff that we encountered were friendly and very welcoming. The breakfast was of good quality and was always kept fully stocked. They have free use of the washers and dryers on the property. Ray, the supervisor at the front desk was very helpful in accomodating us and made us feel very welcomed. Also, the pool was heated which was a nice bonus. This will definitely be my go-to hotel whenever I am in the Los Angeles area. Thank you to all the staff who made our vacation so wonderful.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

We stayed at the property during the first week in January, 2014. This is a nice hotel and we secured one of the two-bedroom suites. The grounds are very nice and the area seemed safe and quiet. The hotel offered a well-appointed breakfast buffet that we took advantage of each morning of our stay. The in-room internet access was a bit spotty but we managed to find places in the room that gave us adequate connectivity. I would recommend staying at this property.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Seattle, Washington, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

My family and I all recently stayed several nights at this hotel. The rooms are all suites, which made family gatherings very easy and convenient. They have breakfast every morning, though the layout and size of the breakfast area was entirely too small for the size of hotel they have. They offer a "manager's reception" on the week nights including complimentary drinks. The pool area was large and the water was warm, even when it was only 60 degrees outside! There are no elevators, so third floor rooms could be a challenge for some, especially if you have a lot of luggage. The internet would be my biggest complaint. Some sites would work just fine and others wouldn't load at all. There seemed to be no rhyme or reason to it either. I even tried using an ethernet cord, but still no luck. It was bad enough that I had to go find a coffee shop on two different occasions during my stay to get some work completed.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Torrance
BEST WESTERN PLUS Avita Suites
Residence Inn Los Angeles Torrance/Redondo Beach
Doubletree by Hilton Torrance - South Bay
Torrance Marriott Redondo Beach
Residence Inn Los Angeles Redondo Beach
Extended Stay America - Los Angeles - Torrance Harbor Gateway

Been to Staybridge Suites Torrance? Share your experiences!