“Yuk!”

Hank's Italian Restaurant
Ranked #402 of 621 Restaurants in Torrance
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: Pizza
Description: Hank's Italian Restaurant has been in Torrance, CA for over 35 years. Established in 1968, Hank's has been serving Torrance, Redondo Beach, and Palos Verdes with some of the best pizza and pasta. Come visit and see why Hank's has been a South Bay favorite for nearly 4 decades.
Reviewed 23 May 2012

This place was sold and does not taste very Italian. It has a definite mexican taste in the sauces and food. It used to have fantastic eggplant sandwiches.

1  Thank Linda P

Reviewed 28 March 2012

A few days ago, after an extremely dry winter, the rain was literally coming down in buckets... in sheets... almost horizontally! I love the rain: watching it, driving in it, sitting on the sand at the beach just smiling and looking up at it. During this particular torrent, we we out running an errand and decided to stop into Hank's. It had probably been close to a year since we'd eaten there and hot Italian on a cold, wet day sounded perfect. I don't know exactly when they opened, but let's just say I've been eating there for about 20 years and have never had a bad (or even mediocre) meal.
I think that says a lot.
She started with the bruscetta and smiled contently as she sipped her wine. I dove into the creamy, savory garlic bread which, I'm sure, they put an addictive chemical in because it takes the strength of Samson to hold yourself back from filling yourself before the entree arrives!
The reason I mentioned the storm was that Hanks has these beautiful large windows which are bordered by stained glass. As we sat there, the heavy rain coming down framed by those windows made it look like a picture. On clear days, you can sit outside in the brick-layed patio under an umbrella or under the sunshine. Either one is nice. They always have a steady flow of Italian songs playing (not too loudly) while you eat.
The main meal came. She had the meatball soup (the bowls are very big & the meatballs are huge! Just to warn you...). I forewent my usual Italian meat pizza for their take on Hawaiian: The crust is thin (my preference) and leaves a sweet aftertaste; the marinara is not overly acidic and there was an abundance of ham and pineapple (those of you who follow my reviews know that I'm from the islands... this JungleBoy LOVES him some pineapple!) and a gracious spread of crumbled mozzarella to boot. Melted in my mouth!
So if you're ever in my beach-close area of SoCal, make sure you visit. Have I let you down yet, Trippers? Enjoy.

1  Thank JungleBoyJohnny
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Hank's is a local fmily-owned Italian Restaurant that looks like it could be located in one of the lovely small northern Italian towns. The food is plentiful and very good; the meat sauce was thick and flavorful and the pizza good. Every time we have been there the salad bar is different, incorporating seasonal fruits and vegetables; the soup selection is limited and the minestrone weak - But the real draw is the outstanding service. Ask to be seated where Julie Marie will wait on you!

1  Thank GJean1565
Reviewed 9 November 2010

We have been going to Hanks off and on for over 8 years. We thought of it as our local, neighborhood Italian Restaurant. The food is descent, but the service has diminished to the point of no return. Before you have sit down, the waitress is asking for your drink order. You need to ask for everything three or four times. They took the fork off my salad plate and placed it "in" the garlic bread basket "with the garlic bread". They left the door to patio area open so all the cigarette smoke could go from outside to inside (it was also 50 degrees outside, so we were forced to keep our Jackets on. Servers were more interested in themselves, then the patrons. The only thing the waitress kept coming by for is "the check", never once came by to ask us for anything else. The folks that now work at Hanks are more interested in closing on time then serving their customers. We arrived at 7:30 P.M. and they were already packing up, and starting to shut down by 8:30 P.M. (they close at 9 pm on Sundays).

If you are looking for an Italian Restaurant that acts like they are doing you a favor serving you, does everything for "their" convenience, not yours, and is no longer owned by the Original Hank, then this is the place for you. Food is O.K. but only for take out. For almost the same price you pay at Hanks you can go to a higher end Italian Restaurant, or a chain like the Macaroni Grill, which will provide you much better service, and wants your business. We have made excuses for Hanks long enough, and will never eat there again.

3  Thank critics_critic
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed 6 December 2007

everything on menu is fantastic, even if the salad bar is a little lacking. good atmosphere too.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

Been to Hank's Italian Restaurant? Share your experiences!