“Pizza crust needs help ASAP”

Hank's Italian Restaurant
Ranked #403 of 552 Restaurants in Torrance
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: Pizza
Description: Hank's Italian Restaurant has been in Torrance, CA for over 35 years. Established in 1968, Hank's has been serving Torrance, Redondo Beach, and Palos Verdes with some of the best pizza and pasta. Come visit and see why Hank's has been a South Bay favorite for nearly 4 decades.
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I tried this neighborhood italian restaurant again since our usual place is closed Mondays and Hank's is open. Ordered pizza and spaghetti to-go. Spaghetti was to my liking. Unfortunately the pizza was not right. The components above the crust were exactly like what your would find on a "normal" pizza; cheese, tomato sauce, mushrooms, etc. The crust however reminded me of what they served in my junior high school cafeteria 40-something years ago. Fluffy, light, spongy! This dough has got to be frozen bread dough, maybe Bridgford bread dough. Sorry, but this is not pizza dough! I make homemade pizza dough sometimes and my worst effort is much better in texture than this sorry dough. I realize that there are thin crusts and thick crusts but this crust is just bad. Obviously this is all a matter of opinion and I would assume the owner and management like the pizza just like it is.

If they were to improve the pizza dough, this place would be one of my favorites since the people running it are nice, the restaurant interior is cozy and the patio is pretty and comfortable appearing.

Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

won 5 stars in my view. Wondering who or where is any better ? Been looking for years to find any restaurant to bet this place in the south bay.

Reviewed 23 May 2012

This place was sold and does not taste very Italian. It has a definite mexican taste in the sauces and food. It used to have fantastic eggplant sandwiches.

1  Thank Linda P
Reviewed 28 March 2012

A few days ago, after an extremely dry winter, the rain was literally coming down in buckets... in sheets... almost horizontally! I love the rain: watching it, driving in it, sitting on the sand at the beach just smiling and looking up at it. During this particular torrent, we we out running an errand and decided to stop into Hank's. It had probably been close to a year since we'd eaten there and hot Italian on a cold, wet day sounded perfect. I don't know exactly when they opened, but let's just say I've been eating there for about 20 years and have never had a bad (or even mediocre) meal.
I think that says a lot.
She started with the bruscetta and smiled contently as she sipped her wine. I dove into the creamy, savory garlic bread which, I'm sure, they put an addictive chemical in because it takes the strength of Samson to hold yourself back from filling yourself before the entree arrives!
The reason I mentioned the storm was that Hanks has these beautiful large windows which are bordered by stained glass. As we sat there, the heavy rain coming down framed by those windows made it look like a picture. On clear days, you can sit outside in the brick-layed patio under an umbrella or under the sunshine. Either one is nice. They always have a steady flow of Italian songs playing (not too loudly) while you eat.
The main meal came. She had the meatball soup (the bowls are very big & the meatballs are huge! Just to warn you...). I forewent my usual Italian meat pizza for their take on Hawaiian: The crust is thin (my preference) and leaves a sweet aftertaste; the marinara is not overly acidic and there was an abundance of ham and pineapple (those of you who follow my reviews know that I'm from the islands... this JungleBoy LOVES him some pineapple!) and a gracious spread of crumbled mozzarella to boot. Melted in my mouth!
So if you're ever in my beach-close area of SoCal, make sure you visit. Have I let you down yet, Trippers? Enjoy.

1  Thank JungleBoyJohnny
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Hank's is a local fmily-owned Italian Restaurant that looks like it could be located in one of the lovely small northern Italian towns. The food is plentiful and very good; the meat sauce was thick and flavorful and the pizza good. Every time we have been there the salad bar is different, incorporating seasonal fruits and vegetables; the soup selection is limited and the minestrone weak - But the real draw is the outstanding service. Ask to be seated where Julie Marie will wait on you!

1  Thank GJean1565