“Nothing to write home about”

Hank's Italian Restaurant
Ranked #421 of 592 Restaurants in Torrance
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: Pizza
Description: Hank's Italian Restaurant has been in Torrance, CA for over 35 years. Established in 1968, Hank's has been serving Torrance, Redondo Beach, and Palos Verdes with some of the best pizza and pasta. Come visit and see why Hank's has been a South Bay favorite for nearly 4 decades.
Reviewed 8 February 2015 via mobile

Food is good, service is quick. Ambiance is good also. It's by a main avenue so it does get noise. Plenty of parking.

Reviewed 30 January 2015

So many Italian restaurants have gone total high-brow and pretentious. I love Hank's because it's kitschy Italian, like when I was growing up. And the staff is very friendly, and it's cozy inside -- although the patio's preferable, when weather permits. We always get the large veggie pizza, which has everything but the kitchen sink on it, and a pitcher of beer. It's a nice, pleasant meal, and none of the fuss.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

This is the second time we went to Hanks in 25 years. Now we know why it took us so long. We ate on the patio and the same light fixtures were broken (along with a few more), the fountain was oddly out of sync, the tables were wobbly, the pretty little lights strung across the patio were all dark except for 8. How do we know this? We counted the lightbulbs as we waited and waited and waited AND WAITED for our servers to remember we were there.

What was so odd is how happy they were when we reminded them of our presence. It never occurred to them that perhaps we were a bit peeved when eventually my husband and I were served - and finished our dinners - and then had to seek out someone to remind them that our son had not received his meal. Luckily, we worked off some calories getting up to find people. Usually, we found them chatting in the kitchen. It's lovely they like one another, wish they liked us as much. I don't think we were the only ones with this problems. Saw a couples on their iPads working away as they waited.

We ordered mozzarella marinara, eggplant parmesan (side of spaghetti), fettuccini with meat sauce and every dish tasted the same - heavy sauce that made me think it was from a jar and cooked down. Salad appeared to be a day or two old.

The saving grace was the pizza. Very good. Nice crust, not too doughy.

Hanks, we so wanted to love you because we like to support neighborhood businesses but a little proactive TLC would go a long way - toward your cute little restaurant and by your serve staff.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I grew up in this area and Hank's has been there for as long as I can remember, but I hadn't been to the restaurant in many years. I visited last weekend with my dad and his wife for Father's Day dinner (this restaurant was their choice).

First, I have to say that the garlic bread is wonderful--highly recommended that you order extra because it will disappear. The minestrone soup was also very good, if extremely mild in flavor (as was everything we ordered). The staff are friendly and the atmosphere is great--warm, inviting décor, and they have a nice patio for outdoor seating. But, for this diner, that's where the 'good' stopped.

This is very Americanized "Italian" food so if you're looking for something with more depth of flavor, this won't be the right fit for you. But if you're traveling through the area with small kids or people who don't enjoy any level of spice in their food (and I mean NONE), this would be perfect.

We got three different dishes and sampled each other's food, but I'm not going to specify what they were because I don't think it would matter--everything tasted exactly the same to me. The sauce is very sweet and very simple--it's just plain pureed tomatoes, very few herbs for seasoning, and lots of sugar added (the "Americanized" part). I am not suggesting this sauce is from a jar, only that, to me, it tasted similar to jarred sauce. For some, this might be a very positive thing; it was hugely disappointing for me.

Each dish tasted like pizza from a national chain (even though we did not order any pizza). Again, this is not necessarily BAD depending on your preference, it's just not very interesting. My step mother doesn't care for strong flavors or any level of spice in her food--she enjoyed her meal. My dad is much more adventurous an eater, but he ordered something he'd had at Hank's before and knew what to expect--he enjoyed it very much.

The service was spotty for us on this visit, but the restaurant was also very busy for the holiday. My order was wrong but I was afraid we'd have to wait all night if I sent it back to be corrected. Our soup took forever to come out, as well.

I didn't try the salad bar, but it looked pretty good on the whole. The reason I didn't try it is because I can't stand iceberg lettuce and there were no other options on the night I visited.

My dad and his wife go to Hank's often and they usually get the antipasto salad and a pizza to share. They say both are very good. I do wish I'd tried the pizza as several other reviewers say it's good, also. Once again, I'm sure this is an excellent choice for families with young, picky kids, but if you're looking for flavorful, authentic Italian food that may surprise you in a great way, try another establishment.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

We loved eating at Hank's when we lived in the South Bay-on our most recent visit we had take out pizza and salad and were happy to taste that the yummy Hank's sauce hasn't changed one bit! We also enjoyed take out salads (Cesar and Antipasto-sp?) but thought they both had a bit too much salad dressing for our taste...it's much more fun to make one's one salad at the salad bar in the restaurant itself.