“An Authentic Chinese/Taiwanese Mom and Pop Shop” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #163 of 530 Restaurants in Torrance
Cuisines: Chinese
US
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“An Authentic Chinese/Taiwanese Mom and Pop Shop”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2008

Peter's Place is a authentic Mom and Pop shop that is around the corner of city blocks in Taiwan. You would have to drive 30 min from Torrance, CA to find another one of its kind. It's targeting Taiwanese ex-pats, who miss Taiwanese casual cuisine. It's truly run by Mom and Pop Mom comes out and chat with guests in Madarin Chinese. Do not expect the formality of a Chinese restaurant or the familiar taste from a standard North American Chinese menu. As a Taiwanese Mom an Pop place, it serves wonderful dishes. Its beef noodle soup, dumplings, and combination meals with main entries such as pork chop, fish fillet, and chicken leg, are excellent and authentic for the intended home cooking style. There is a substantial menu at the juice bar, and the drinks are wonerful and authentic but not as much of a bargain as the meals.

1 Thank FoodLoverUs

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“yummy boba”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2008

yummy boba

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Los Angeles, CA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Should have gone to Hong Kong Express”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2008

I would always pass Peter's Place and never stop. I have lived in Torrance over 13 years and finally decided to stop at Peter's Place.

All I could say was...well, nothing really. I took one of the "to-go" menus and sat down. The "waitress" came over and asked what I wanted. Apparently the to-go menu was good enough for me, as every other patron received actual menus.

I would also like to point out she asked other people what they would like to drink but did not ask me.

I ordered the orange chicken lunch special. She told me it only came with steamed rice even though the to-go menu clearly stated you had your choice of steamed or fried rice. Everyone must have gotten there 15 minutes before opening to start preparing food for the day.

The hot and sour soup arrived. It was neither hot (spicy) or sour. I have never eaten a hot and sour soup so incredibly bland before.

The orange chicken arrived. The sauce was good. Oh, you want to know about the chicken? The tempura batter was not cooked all the way....I hoped the chicken was.

The boba counter was also in need of dire help. It was now 11:45 and nothing has been set up yet.....to the dismay of a couple of customers.

I have been to many chinese restaurants around here and none have ever been this bad.

Never again will I eat here. If you need a chinese place close to Lomita and Hawthorne, run to Pick Up Stix or Panda or anyplace else but here.