“Great prime ribs, discriminates against younger demographics”
Review of The San Franciscan

The San Franciscan
Ranked #4 of 548 Restaurants in Torrance
Price range: US$15 - US$50
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Established in 1963, Torrance restaurant and cocktail lounge serving prime rib, steak, and seafood.
Los Angeles, California
“Great prime ribs, discriminates against younger demographics”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

The San Franciscan definitely offers one of the best prime rib money can buy, and in three delectable value-priced portions: 1/2 lb, 3/4 lb and 1 lb. The 1/2 lb cut is sufficient for most diners and the 3/4 lb cut is borderline box-up and take home status. I don't know how anyone can finish the 1 lb cut without taking it home. The prime rib is very tender and juicy, served in its own pool of au jus and preempted by a soup or salad, followed by a side of your choice. The demographics of this joint is generally senior citizens or people in their late 40's and older. We did sense a bit of discrimination due to our appearance, because we're in our 30's but look like we're in our early 20's. This was evident in the service and social interaction we've received from our server vs. the interaction/service she gave to an elder couple a few seats down. Our server probably think "oh young people, cheap on tip" without even really giving us a chance.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank oo63

• Turkish first
Midvale, Utah
“Really Disappointed (Bartender is a BIG Jerk) ”
Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

What a super/huge disappointment! I heard/read great reviews of the prime rib and history behind the San Franciscan in Torrance so, I decided to have dinner @ the bar last Saturday night (while on my business trip to SoCal). And, my experience went as follows:
• the head bartender is just a slob. As he pours my "soda fountain Ice Tea" and walks down the bar he's spilling everywhere and the tea is sloshing in his hand and going back into my glass.
• When I told him I wouldn't drink it he makes fun of my southern accent and ask me "what part of the confederacy that I was from?"
• I ordered the Prime Rib which was not as good as a "conventional Outback Steakhouse order".
• the house made blue cheese salad dressing was "just bland tasting"
• the bread was fresh hot/good
• dessert was a slice of "house made cheese cake". And, just like the dressing - really no taste - bland tasting
• I once again tried to converse with the big bartender (who I was told was a Jeopardy contestant @ one time). He has no real common sense to him. He's eat-up with himself - ego & false pride, I assure u. He miss quoted practically every topic that he tried to engaged in - he's just a "wanna be in a local bar".
• I'd stay away if you are not from Torrance.

1 Thank BagbyHotspringsTrail
Torrance, California
“A Place for Prime Rib”
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Excellent place for Prime Rib, if you're in the area. Service is excellent and the restaurant feels like home.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank RNN-LA2Vegas
Torrance, California
“Prime Rib!”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

This restaurant is an "old-fashioned" prime rib restaurant. They make great salads but their real claim to fame is their prime rib!

Visited November 2013
3 Thank LizaBragg
las vegas, nevada
“Very good food, Marginal Service”
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Arrival at the San Franciscan takes you back to the seventies ( this is a good thing ) without the cigarette smoke. It was Friday night and the place was very busy which may account for the slow service. I would probably give it another chance. The food however was very good; from the filet with ortega chilies and cheese to grilled shrimp to the clam chowder.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank birdiefore

Been to The San Franciscan? Share your experiences!