“Special BIRTHDAY treatment; the BEST SPUMONI, lovely food and atmosphere”

Gaetano's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Gaetano's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 579 Restaurants in Torrance
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Crenshaw Blvd.
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We only made the reservation by telephone the day before, and were asked if we were celebrating anything? I replied that we were celebrating a birthday, but when we arrived and the hostess asked, we explained that there were two in our party, each celebrating birthdays within the week. We were seated promptly in a comfortable booth, with a special birthday placard to alert our server.

He was competent, and attentive, but didn't show the warmth or friendliness of the others (the woman who answered the phone, and the hostess) throughout our meal service. We had the pear and Gorgonzola salad, a mixed salad, and shared a Caesar salad that was of moderate serving size, all very good, and then each had a pasta dish. Gaetano's Pink Sauce was featured on three of them, and was absolutely delicious. LOVED the Chicken Cannelloni which doesn't seem to be common on many Italian menus outside of Italy anymore.

Despite enjoying a LOT of the fabulous pasta, we were served two dishes (for the two birthdays) of spumoni, gratis, with candles, and the sound system was switched to an Italian-sounding rendition of "Happy Birthday." It was extremely nice without being horridly embarrassing or over-the-top.

We were impressed that in lieu of offering one serving of spumoni, they brought one for each. And while I thought I didn't like spumoni, what we were served was absolutely fantastic. This spumoni, instead of having bits of candied fruit (which is perhaps authentic spumoni?) had bits of chocolate and small pieces of Maraschino cherries. I would go out of my way to go back to Gaetano's for this spumoni, and normally, I don't care that much about dessert, period.

In all, this was a four and a half star, close to five star experience, lowered only by the care-less attitude of our server. The menu offers something for every diner - save room for the spumoni!

4  Thank NYCbacktoLAhooray

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Great Italian restaurant with exceptional food and service. My sister's family has been going here since before the actual restaurant was started from the original deli the family established in the same location. I except nothing more than excellence and they lived up to my expectations. We were seated quickly and offered the Tuesday family special but declined since there were only two of us and the amount of food would have been overwhelming. The manager came and introduced himself as well.
I had the grilled wild salmon with fresh broccoli and spaghetti, and my partner had the lasagna. We had the house Pinot noir and just missed the 6 p.m. deadline for the discount per glass. Will keep that in mind the next time we go. We shared the Tiramisu - it was superior.
The wait staff was quite attentive and we quite pleased with the whole evening.
Check out their website for more information: They do have weekend brunch as well.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

The folks at Gaetano's just catered a dinner party last Saturday at my request. The pear & Gorgonzola salad was excellent as always. The had veal picotta and chicken marsala. All was excellent.

I selected this restarant based on my many visits, knowing that all would go well. I was certainly not disappointed!

Reviewed 11 May 2014

I only write reviews if something is really good or really bad. This review is for the latter; ordered the lasagna grande, pear & gorgonzola salad, and a cheese pizza for delivery for a family event at my home. They showed up 1/2hr early when nobody was home, so the food was semi-cold by the time we started our event. The cheese pizza had been tilted and a mess. The salad was mediocre. The lasagna...horrible! It just tasted bland: a weak sauce, very little to no meat, little cheese and all pasta. For Palos Verdes residents, you don't need to go to Torrance...use great restaurants like Giorgio's or Mama Terrano's on Deep Valley Dr.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Recently met friends here for lunch. The menu offers nice variety and a selection of lighter dishes and smaller lunch portions of traditional Italian food. The seafood dishes are excellent and fresh.
And the guys love the lasagna. I noticed the outdoor patio area has become very popular and has the European feel with the herb gardens and grape vines. The staff are all very warm and welcoming and service was great. Even though busy, our server kept the water and beverages replenished. We always try to go to their monthly regional dinners for a nice change of pace, Regional Italian food different from traditional Italian menus. We love exploring different foods and preparations and the chef always delivers. This is a family run operation and non related employees and guests also feel like family.

2  Thank jsg33