“Nice Lobby - Good Hotel - Good Location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Torrance Marriott Redondo Beach

Torrance Marriott Redondo Beach
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Torrance
“Nice Lobby - Good Hotel - Good Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

Really good Marriott property - I've stayed there several times in the last couple of months. I love the lobby - has a Starbucks, TV lounge, free WiFi and lots of seating for pleasant conversation, work, eating, etc. Rooms are clean and well-appointed. Staff is friendly. Room service is outstanding. I highly recommend the salmon cooked medium rare. The sweet potato fries were also very good. They have a really nice fitness room. Maybe the best thing about the place is the service in the concierge lounge on the 12th floor. Jorge is awesome! This guy just lights up the room. You can tell he loves his job and his energy jump starts even the most hung over job-hater that walks into the place. The beds are also very comfortable. Not far from LAX or from the beach - nice location. The massive Del Amo mall is just across the street with lots of great shops, restaurants, and activities like Lucky Strike.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
wooloomooloo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

This place is what it is - a large chain hotel opposite the ubiquitous American mall. In true LA style it feels in the middle of nowhere, unless, of course, you have a car. Inside, it is cookie-cutter Marriott.
But that said, this is a very well-kept property, despite its big-chain atmosphere. The rooms are clean and spacious, and the lobby bar and outdoor area (complete with fire pit) are great. I found the F & B staff to be really friendly and efficient.
Another plus is the proximity to Del Amo Fashion Center and surrounds - there are some good eating options around (and some ordinary ones too), though you may have to walk a little way.
On the negative side, the reception staff can seem to be a little overwhelmed at times. This is a hotel that seems to specialise in groups, so you think they might have sorted this out by now. It also has very slow elevators!
All in all though, I find this a pleasant place - above average, but not quite in the 'very good' league. I would not hesitate to stay here again when in the area.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank dr_iggy
Seattle, WA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

I stayed for one night because my 20-year high school reunion was held in one of their event spaces. I was supposed to receive a discounted rate for the room because I was attending this event. When I arrived, the hotel had "lost" my reservation, and although I had the printout from the Marriott web site with my confirmation number, the front desk staff told me I must have "accidently canceled my reservation." Huh? How does one do that exactly? Still, they gave me a room, but told me there was no discounted rate for this event. I was told that the hotel couldn't do anything about this and I should take it up with the event coordinator for the reunion. I never got anyone to help me, so had to pay the full-price for the room. I was also supposed to get a reduced (self) parking rate because I attended the event. The front desk staff told me that my parking voucher would automatically apply the discount as I was leaving the parking lot. Nope, you guessed it. Instead of charging me $9, I was actually charged $16, which was even more bizarre because the regular parking fee is only $15. I had to go BACK into the hotel with my parking receipt, fill out some paperwork, and it took over 20 minutes! In the end I had 3 staff members "helping" me because they couldn't do the simple math. Finally, the valet parking manager paid me in quarters, just so I could be on my way. He was the only one who understood what had happened and finally helped me. The front desk staff acted as though I wanted them to define pi. From check-in to check-out, the front desk staff made a horrible impression. I’m giving this review 3 stars because the room was nice, clean, and the rest of the hotel staff were friendly.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2012

Very clean rooms but the bathrooms are tiny. Excellent concierge lounge with excellent food....but the stay was tainted with the unpleasant experience that the do not disturb sign was not honored and housekeeping entered the room...on another stay there, there was a mixup and I wasn't shown to have been checked into the room and when I got back, my blazer hanging in the closet was gone, the hotel didn't show much concern and did not offer any compensation for it...on another occasion the elevator jammed and I was stuck in the elevator for 10 minutes and when they were able to open it, I had to jump out, but with all that not even an offer of a consolation "I am sorry for your experience" olive branch such as maybe Marriott points or something, hotel just acted as though nothing bad happened.

• Stayed April 2011
2 Thank Hernandezmm
South Coast, NSW
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2012

Firstly it should be made clear that my Company has a contract with this hotel to accommodate employees when in L.A.
There never appears to be enough staff at reception/check-in/check-out when required. With some of the staff it appears that they are either disorganised or simply can't cope with their responsibilities. This is noted on a regular basis.
On a more positive note, the hotel is conveniently located across the road from Del Amo shopping centre thus convenient for shopping. Reasonably central to most locations significant to start of South Beach area.
A good choice of restaurants and bars nearby. Good bar in lobby happy hour 3-6pm.
Rooms are comfortable and clean. One note is that if you require a refrigerator if there is not one available in your room, there is seldom a refrigerator available and you are placed on a wait-list.
Wireless internet available in hotel and is reliable. Starbucks in lobby, office hours.
Concierge always friendly and helpful.
Hotel serves it's purpose when in L.A!

1 Thank Shudjan
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2012

This hotel was as expected. No frills in the room. Close your eyes and picture a hotel room and you have room 720. Staff was really friendly and helpful. Outstanding in that area. Lobby was really very nice and welcoming, the valet employees were fantastic, friendly and pleasant. We stayed on a Monday night and chose this location based upon its distance from a meeting we were attending and LAX. I had an easy ride to LAX at 6am. PROS: Staff, the coffee box in my room (really cool) Valet just $2 more than self park ($17/night), Clean room, nice indoor outdoor pool. CONS: Fitted sheet was perhaps wrong size, it did not fit on the mattress properly and kept coming off during the night, I'd wake to find myself lying on the mattress cover. There was a wasp in my room.

australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2012

This Marriott has the standard features of the Marriott chain, with large rooms, very comfortable beds and a pleasant reception and bar area in the lobby. There is free wifi in the lobby and a "Starbucks" as well. The best thing is that the hotel is situated well back from the street so it's very quiet. The rooms have a very shallow balcony - about 2 feet deep, which runs right across the front with sliding glass doors, so there's plenty of light and air. There are several specialty shops and an Albertson's supermarket in easy walking distance and the Del Amo Mall across the street. Do not bother paying $12.95 for wireless internet in the guest room, as the signal is very poor, drops out frequently and is unreliable.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the Del Amo Mall side of the hotel do not have passing traffic nearby.