Howard Johnson Torrance
US$232
US$156
US$151
Agoda.com
All reviewswafflesredondo beachboiled eggsroom was cleanan older hotellocation is greatwalking distancecleaning staffcomplimentary breakfastdel amo mallnon smokingchecking outfresh fruitfree parkinglos angeleslong beachcoffee maker
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 April 2013 via mobile

Having stayed at this HoJo twice before and it being centrally located in Torrance makes me keep coming back, plus for the most part the rooms have been comfy, older and not the most updated furniture is not really an issue, my issue this time was that when I called them on my way down to Torrance they could not find my reservation at all, even tho I had only made it 4 days prior. I even had a confirmation code which they couldn't find either and I had the persons name that made the reservation. They ended up telling me that the reservation was made for the wrong days which were 3 days prior to my actual date. Just don't feel like they were concerned about this issue as much as I was. But I got a room and was happy with it. The breakfast was ok as I got down there at 930am and not much left and so I had coffee (which is good) and cereal. Internet connection was good, to the management you might mention to your housekeepers to keep their carts pushed to the side of the walkways, I had to move one even tho the housekeeper was right there and didn't seem to realize she was in the way of someone trying to carry luggage down the narrow aisle. Yes, I would stay there again as after 3 visits it feels pretty much like home even tho there are issues that should be addressed. Probably will be coming back in may. So, HoJo, you better be on your toes! Lol

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Brteyes1
HojoTorrance, General Manager at Howard Johnson Torrance, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2013

Dear Brteyes1:

Thank you so much for sharing your experience about your stay! I see that it is your second review about Howard Johnson, and I'm glad to see that your third stay was more enjoyable. It is reviews like yours that give us an opportunity to improve our service. I'm sorry to hear that you had problems with confirming your reservation on the day of your arrival. I would like to reassure you that this is unusual of our service, and I'm glad to hear that front desk handled the situation appropriately. The Housekeeping supervisor has also been notified about your comments. Once again, thank you for your continuous loyalty to our hotel, and we hope to welcome you here very soon.

Reviewed 4 April 2013

We stayed here for 5 days in March and it was a good experience.The rooms were big and clean and the location was good. There was also a complimentary breakfast which my wife loves so that also was a plus. The staff were all really nice and when I had a problem with the phone they quickly got us another one. They also were happy to help with the Internet login on the free computer that I used several times. The location was also good - close to Redondo Beach, big shopping centers, the aquarium at Long Beach and downtown LA where we went to see a hockey game plus Exposition Park where we went to the California Science Center and Natural History Museum. It is not exactly close to downton but by LA standards it was good as we only had to take one freeway.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Ken L

Dear Ken L:

Thank you so much for such a fantastic review! Our staff works really hard to provide guests with an unforgettable experience at Howard Johnson, and I'm glad to hear that we were able to live up to your standards. Thank you for mentioning about the cleanliness of our rooms and the location of the hotel. They are certainly the highlights of our property. We hope to have the opportunity of serving you again in the future.

Reviewed 3 April 2013

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
HojoTorrance, General Manager at Howard Johnson Torrance, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2013

Reviewed 2 April 2013

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Reviewed 28 March 2013

I have a compromised immune system due to medical issues. Probably should have chosen a cleaner place.
Positives: Lobby and parking were OK. Close to Redondo Beach. There were beds and a shower in the room. Breakfast was included.
Negatives: Breakfast was included. It was dirty. The halls had fungus on the carpet and buckets of sand under the A/C units. The interior walls had mold from the floor up to about 3' off of the floor. The furniture had stains on it. The rooms had tons of outdoor noise. Not sure if it was the airport or the notorious parties our check-in clerk told me are often hosted in the back room areas where she placed our family.
Breakfast, the 80's called and want their dry pastries back. My husband was lucky since someone in front of him took all of these nasty treats and left him with none. There was sugary cereal, toast, bagels (?) and do it yourself waffles. I chose the non- sugar drink of grapefruit juice and was surprised to find it tasted like grapefruit flavored Koolaid only with twice the recommended sweetness.
What else can I say. It was late, we slept here on our way to LAX but didn't sleep here on our return.

Room Tip: Find a different place to stay if possible.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
HojoTorrance, General Manager at Howard Johnson Torrance, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2013

Dear nkwins:

Thank you for your review about your stay at Howard Johnson. We always hope every guest has a unique and memorable experience, and I apologize for not meeting your expectations. Although we are not the newest hotel in the area, all departments - from housekeeping, maintenance to breakfast attendant and front desk staff - work extremally hard day and night to deliver a top-notch service.
I appreciate the opportunity to address some of your concerns regarding the continental breakfast, particularly your comments about the pastries being "dry" and "nasty." I would like to reassure you that with a high volume of people we serve each day, the food and beverage items are always fresh, including a variety of cereals (both sugar-free and with sugar), bagels (plain and flavored), muffins, waffles, fruits, oatmeal, and much more. Many guests have positively commented on the type of breakfast we serve, and I'm truly sorry to hear that it was not to your liking.
We greatly appreciate your feedback and hope your future travels are more enjoyable.