“No Water Pressure”

Howard Johnson Torrance
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Torrance
“No Water Pressure”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

The front desk service was very good. The room was clean. The AC/heater worked great. The breakfast was barely okay. The only thing to prevent us from returning was the terrible water pressure. It took way too long to saturate our hair and really reduced the value of the stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Korean first
Glendale, Arizona
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Excellent location to everywhere we wanted to go...Universal studios, Catalina Island, Venice, Redondo and Santa Monica Beach. Breakfast was better than expected. Waffles, danishes,bagels,cereal, oatmeal, juices and Coffee!! Room was clean. Had a microwave, mini fridge and coffee maker! Front desk staff were all very friendly and helpful. The price was excellent. The wifi worked perfectly. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Shelly L
Glendale, California
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Okay...free wifi (if your room happens to be near the office)
Breakfast - very minimal, not stocked
Torn lamp shades
Building needs maintenance
Air conditioning was tepid at best
Bathroom paint was sloppy with rust on the fixtures

If you're looking for a great place to stay...this is not it. It is in a decent area, and the bed was okay, but should have sprung for the few extra bucks to stay at the Marriott next door. Looked off of the dirty balcony and was more than a little jealous

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

HojoTorrance, General Manager at Howard Johnson Torrance, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear Douglas M:

Thank you very much for taking time to post a review about your stay. We strive to provide every guest with above average experience. Needless to say, I'm less than thrilled to hear that your stay was not superb. I would like to take the opportunity and kindly apologize forthe maintenance issues as indicated in your review. I have forwarded your comments to Housekeeping and Engineering departments for preventative maintenance, and once again my sincere apologies for the issues. If you find yourself in the area again, we hope to have the honor of serving you.

Inessa Udovchenko

Travellers are raving about these Torrance hotels

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Unbelievable!!!! Last night I arrived at the Ramada and the first room I was given had a distinct smell of sewage. I was given a different room in the "smoking" section which was acceptable even though the room did smell like stale smoke. Smoke is better than sewage. After the first night at the Ramada, I left my cash deposit at the front desk since I planned to stay a couple more nights. While working, I called the front desk to make my reservation for the next 2 nights. I provided credit card information over the phone and explained that since I'd just lost my wallet, the card was in my friend's name. The clerk accepted the reservation and took the card information. He said I was all set and that I could show up any time... even after his shift which ended at 10 PM. I arrived at the Ramada at 1:30 am to collect my keys only to be told by Saul, the new clerk at the front desk, that my payment had not been processed and I couldn't check in without a physical credit card. I explained to the clerk that the hotel still had my cash deposit and that the guy working the shift immediately before him, who had taken my friend's credit card information, reassured me that I was all set. All I had to do according to the previous front desk clerk was pick up the keys. Saul proceeded to ask me if I would believe him if he told me he was on the phone with President Obama. Regarding my cash deposit, he told me there were many things he wanted too and that he would like $100. He asked me if I could give him $100. When I asked for a manager, he said there was none available. When I asked for a phone number to Wyndham Hotel Group Customer Service, Saul said "Good luck with that." According to Saul, this Ramada was a franchise and that there wasn't any point calling Wyndham corporate. I asked Saul more than once to call the front desk clerk who'd taken my reservation and to clear up the confusion. He refused stating that it was too late at 1:45 AM for him to wake any one up. I then informed Saul that I had a copy of the credit card my friend used as well as a copy of her driver's license. His response to me was an explanation of the difference between virtual and physical. He let me know that a virtual card would be of no help to him. As he whistled and smiled at me, I asked Saul whether or not he expected me to wake my friend up at 2 am and drag her out of bed to present him her physical card. Saul explained to me that whether or not I had to wake someone up at 2 AM was not his problem and that I should do what I need to do. All that Saul would tell me is that there was nothing he could do for me. I let Saul know that I had a lot of business to conduct tonight and that my laptop and mifi needed charging. I didn't have a charger for either device which could be used in the car via USB. Saul made a call while I was waiting for him to help me. He called the police. The police and my friend arrived at nearly the same time. My friend was livid for having to get out of bed at 2 AM. I explained the situation to the police and they didn't see any need to file a report. In their opinion, the situation was civil and that there was no reason whatsoever for them to be involved. Now that my friend was at the front desk with her physical credit card, Saul informed the police that he refused to provide me service. I had another reservation for tonight at the Howard Johnson hotel which I had canceled when the previous clerk from the Ramada reassured me that I was all set for 2 more nights at the Ramada. Fortunately for me, Josh at the Howard Johnson Torrance front desk reinstated my canceled reservation. Josh informed me that the Howard Johnson Torrance does accept reservations made with a "virtual" credit card so long as the cardholder sends the front desk an email authorizing the guest to use his or her card to check in. Josh also informed me that although Howard Johnson Torrance is also a Wyndham Hotel Group franchise, the management and staff share a close relationship with the corporate office. Josh, in the true spirit of customer service, gave me a room upgrade after learning about the horrible treatment I received at the Ramada. Way to go Josh! I had stayed at the Howard Johnson a couple of nights earlier in the week and found Josh's colleagues to be equally exceptional in their treatment of customers. Saul at the Ramada may as well have been a robot. In his own words, my problems were not his problem. Shame on the owners and managers of the Ramada Torrance franchise: they don't act like they're in the hospitality industry and they give the Wyndham Hotel Group an unnecessarily bad name. Big thanks to Josh at the Howard Johnson for demonstrating that customer care does exist. If you're looking for a good budget hotel in Torrance, I highly recommend the Howard Johnson. Please don't spend your money at Ramada Torrance: if Saul's behavior is par for the course, the owners of the Ramada are obviously in the wrong business.

Room Tip: Room 201 is a very spacious room with two king size beds and a large bathroom.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank roverus
Dear roverus:

Thank you so much for such a fantastic review! Our front desk staff works really hard to provide guests with an unforgettable experience at Howard Johnson, and I'm glad to hear that we were able to live up to your standards. Josh was happy to see you mentioned his name. Our welcoming staff is certainly the highlight of our property. We hope to have the opportunity of serving you again in the future.

Reviewed 18 March 2014

The stairwell on the far end was flooded due to the water dripping from the air conditioners so that was kind of creepy. The room itself is decent for the price. The guy who was in the office was super nice. Oh and our telephone didn't work. I'd stay there again despite the negative parts.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Nick D:

Thank you for taking time to post a review on TripAdvisor. I'm truly sorry to hear that your hotel experience was simply average. Though we are not the newest hotel in the area, we can always rely on our wonderful service.We hope you will give us another chance to provide you with the service you deserve.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Great hotel. Good quality for the price. Beds were very comfortable. Great TV channel selection. Good room amenities.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family

Dear Robert M:

Thank you so much for not only writing a review on TripAdvisor but also for staying with us! We are thrilled to know you enjoyed your stay at Howard Johnson. It was a privilege to serve you. We hope to welcome you back very soon.