“Casual elegance in a small package.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Orange County, California
“Casual elegance in a small package.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2013 via mobile

Magellan's is a very nice surprise in the small but convenient cross-roads town of Tracy. Great ambiance and a fantastic menu are exceeded only by the owners personal attention to his guests. We started with Wedge and Parmesan salads, both were fresh and delightful. For the main courses we had rack of lamb, veal, and salmon pasta; all truly wonderful and cooked to our specifications. The wine list lives up to the region and can be expounded on by the owner if needed. The owner, Thomas, is an international gentleman who has spent time in Europe, and the dishes rival those we have had in the best continental restaurants we've dined in. If you're passing through the area to go to busier places...stop and try Magellan's. I was glad I did.

Visited December 2013
3 Thank Melvmfa212

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Worth the detour and great meeting place.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

We lived in the Bay Area and our friends live in the Sierra Nevada. Magellan's is a great place to meet for a long leisure lunch. The food is very good and so is the service.

• Visited March 2013
3 Thank cobele
Stockton, California
“A Great Restaurant in Tracy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013

It was a special evening--my birthday--and we wanted something special. We have lived in Tracy over 35 years and know the town well. Well, we have passed by Magellan's often but never have eaten there. We heard it was "pricey". Well, it is "pricey" but the food was wonderful. Try the steak with blue cheese! Service was excellent. While we dressed up, there were diners in shorts and t-shirts. Oh well. Everything is a la carte. I ordered double veggies instead of potatoes. The veggies were cooked to perfection. I savored every bite! For a special occasion, try Magellan's. Hint: If you go there on a Saturday night, next door, they serve $1 scoop Mitchell's ice cream from San Francisco from 7-9. YUMMY! Tracy's downtown redevelopment has made this area a nice place to spend time.

Visited June 2013
3 Thank Debbi H
Oregon City, Oregon
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not halibut”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2013

I ordered the halibut, but was served pollock. It was thin, mealy, and gray in color. The waiter assured me it was halibut and even brought out the shipping invoice to prove it. I grew up in Alaska. I know halibut when it is front of me! I wasnt making a scene or anything, and they took the meal off our bill even though I didn't ask them to. The waiter was incredibly cordial and polite. The chef, however, came out and visited with every table but ours. Hhmmmm?

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Anna d
Los Altos, CA
“Delicious!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

Reviews really help when you aren't familiar with a town and its restaurants. We were on our way home from Lake Tahoe and decided to eat dinner at Magellan's. At first we didn't know if they were open since the shades were down on the windows and the entrance was not obvious from the street. My husband, adult daughter and I are glad we stopped to enjoy the wild boar and the scallops which were in a mild curry sauce. The atmosphere, white linen table tops, and prices reflect fine dining. I would NOT recommend bringing small children but savor the opportunity for an evening with adults. Most entrees ranged from $24-$27 which did NOT include salad but did include a few pieces of roasted potatoes, asparagus and red pepper. All three of us agreed that our meals were delicious with a nice presentation and friendly service. If I'm ever in the area again, I would definitely return to Magellan's!

• Visited February 2013