“Best Campground of our Trip”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Trinidad
Sounds of the Sea RV Park
Fort Worth, Texas
“Best Campground of our Trip”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We made a blitz up the west coast last fall. Have to say that this was our favorite campground of the trip. Simply beautify. At night you could not only hear the ocean but the Sea Lions barking in the distance. Definitely would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Ronny G

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Pittsfield, New Hampshire
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Highly recommend this park to anyone seeking a clean, quiet, attractive, convenient park. The park is actually...cozy! Beautifully kept with trees and lots of flowers. Large sites, our 45' fit into an attractive back-in, although we could have had a pull-thru, the hosts were friendly and courteous. A pleasure to stay there, much nicer than most parks, and we would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Pat671
Lacey, Washington, United States
Reviewed 28 June 2013

I will admit when we first pulled in and seen our little view i was a little dissapointed, but after getting all set up and talked to a few other travelers we became very comfortable with the campground. We did some searching around for other sites in the area and this was by far the best, there is the State Park but there is no full hook up sites, everything including the beach is a very short drive or hike and we loved the little town of Trinidad, nice resturants and even a fun little wine tasting room with very nice award winning wines. Im not sure where the negative comments are coming from about the restrooms as i found everything including the laundry room to be very clean and i am very OCD, i also found the owners to be very hard working and friendly. We would for sure stay here again in the future. Its a very clean and quiet park.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Jackie N
Whitehorse, Canada
Reviewed 7 January 2013

We pulled in a couple days ago with no reservation and it was quiet enough at this time of the year to get a spot. Check-in went smoothly and we were given a choice of lots to choose from, for the night. The gentleman was courteous and friendly. It was very quiet and great to get a good nights sleep with no highway sounds or other vehicles roaring around. We didn't use any facilities as we got in just before dark and were ready to eat and go to sleep. We did hear the sea lions right away and that was really nice! The only thing we commented to each other about was that it was pitch black outside and no interior type of street lights or solar lights in the park area. Hubby went to walk dog before bed and just took our flashlight with him. Great nights sleep was had by all :()

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank The-Dog-Taxi
Redding, California
Reviewed 17 September 2012

My husband & I enjoyed our 3 day stay here tremendously. Bob & his
crew work 7 days a week all day-so maybe people's opinion's of them
being gruff or grouchy is because they work constantly to keep their
park beautiful. I found no problem with any of them & rec'd. waves &
smiles as we would enter & exit the park. We stayed in SS5 & had a
partial view of the ocean which was just fine. It was the sea lions I was
so glad to hear barking all the time! We will be returning for sure!!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank pgewife
West Sacramento, California
Reviewed 3 October 2011

First off get your confrimation e-mailed to you prior to your departure. Get all changes documented by whomever you speak to. GET YOUR RESERVATION IN WRITING BEFORE YOUR DEPARTURE. DO NOT BELIEVE THE PICTURES ON THEIR WEB-SITE. IF POSSIBEL PICK ANOTHER LOCATION. PLACE NOT WORTH THE PRICE. We made our reservation with the owner approximately 2 months prior to our original arrival. We booked a super lot with an ocean view for a trailer and a tent with 7 people. We were told the cost would be $45 a night for the the trailer, $35 a night for the tent and those cost would include two people. The additional 5 people would be $5 per night. We were good with the cost. We ended speaking to the lady at the park, I beleive Veronica, and ended up changing our date again 2 months prior to our newly scheduled arrival. We advised her we were adding a motorhome to our reservation and wanted to know if it would fit on our ocean view superlot. She advised us it would fit no problem.

The week prior to departure my sister-in-law contacts the owners and ask them if our lot has one or two hookups and she was advised one hookup on the lot. We go out and purchase the appropiate splitters for the lines and were ready to go. After 7 hours on the road we finally arrive to a trailer park. We speak to the owner and immedietly he says here is what I have available to you and gives us a map and tells us how to get to the sites to see if we like them. When we get the sites there two parking spaces with a back line of trees, hookups and a fire pit. Through the trees you could see the house across the street and a sliver of the ocean.

We went back to the office and asked him if that was the oceanview superlot we reserved and boy did he filp a switch. Immedietly he said "well you changed your reservation so let me see what i can do for you. I'm just trying to keep you all together." So he pointed out on a map a super lot he had available for the trailer, a second spot for the 33 foot motorhome and a third spot for the tent campers. By view on the map the motorhome and tent were approximatley 5 sites away from the "Superlot" We asked him what happend to our spot that would fit our whole party and he said none of the spots would fit us all and no one at the park would ever tell us one would. He called the lady to the office who helped us to change our reservation. She kept telling us in front of him it would fit two units and he starts yelling at her to stop saying that. We told him see where our confusion is but he persisted to say no one would ever tell us two rv's would fit on the lot. There was never a change in price for not having an ocean view superlot and the price went up an additional $45 a night for the second Motorhome. $510 for three nights is a ripoff for this place. That included two RV's for three nights, one tent for two nights and a total of 9 people @ $5 per person per night.

Needless to say we got our refund back and contacted The Emerald Forrest, just a couple of miles away and paid $226 for two hookup pullthroughs surrounded by beautiful trees and much better customer service. The location did not have ocean view because they were literally surrounded trees but my morning jog led me easily to the beach. My mom and in-laws were quite pleased with the change and liked it better then Sounds of the Sea. It was more of a camping atmosphere with tent sites, tent cabins and rv spots with full hook ups. And they were cheaper at $35 per night for a huge pull through spot and $2.50 per person per night and no charge for the tent.

Overall the guy was not plesent and if they could not accomodiate our change at the time we made it they should have let us know instead of trying to find us something when we arrived. At no point in the reservation process were we told we would be on differnt sites. Infact we were told we only had one one hook up on our site. Their communication is confusing from her, which was enough to get him mad at her and trying to correct her. He is a bitter person who makes it very clear that he dosen't want provide service. They both need to retire and should have no business messing with people vacations. The park is a cross between trailer park and rv park. I looks like if their residents go away you could reserve their pad while it's vacant. Not a camping location by any means. Thankfully The Emerald forrest was there and came to our rescue or our vacation plans would have been ruined.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
13 Thank Gina-and-Tim
ROOB_11, Owner at Sounds of the Sea RV Park, responded to this review, 22 October 2011
Just lies, if THEY want the security camera’s video posted on u-tube they can e-mail a consent form.

ROBERT STREPY

Travellers are raving about these Trinidad hotels

Sacramento, California
Reviewed 27 September 2011

First, I was supposed to get the AAA Discount, but when I arrived I was gruffly stared down by the owner, Bob, and told I was already quoted the discount. What the ?#@@)*(? Don't post your rack rate on the Internet and in the AAA Book and then try to act like you already "gave it to me" and stare me down very impolitely! Bob you need some manners and customer service training!

We had two choices for "cabins" that are manufactured homes or 5th wheel trailers. The first one had a fanstastic view and porch...but the really big spiders in the sink, rat droppings all over the furniture and counters and horrid musty smell made that our LAST choice.

The 2nd choice, the nice lady told us that was really "the best". And it was okay...the less than single wide trailder had a bathroom with an icky tube floor...wish I had shower shoes! But water was hot and last just long enough for a quick shower,,,forget washing your hair!

The bed was supposed to be a King-sized bed. My husband is 6:4" and hates to have to curl up to sleep. The bed was only a Queen and barely fit in the room. As for the big, comfie couch..well it was old, worn and not comfie at all. The bed in the room was so bad, we tried the Double Sleeper pullout but that was worse!

The kitchen table was good and so were the chairs. The outside table and chairs on the porch were dirty and a smoker had used them before and no one had cleaned them up. We didn't have a fire pit or central place to barbeque either. Who would've thought that at an RV Park there was no place to barbeque or have a fire?!

The place was pretty, lots of blackberry bushes, we could almost see the ocean from our cabin and could definitely hear the sea lions barking. The cabin wasn't the cleanest, in fact the last renters left cream cheese and milk in the fridge(out of date). So, I'd say they need to work on their clean up crew...spiders and webs in the interior as well as the bathroom wasn't the cleanest and we just hoped the sheets had been changed...ewww! We were only given 2 bath towels for the two of us. We stayed here for 3 nights and never had anyone offer us clean towels. We finally went and asked for some more, which was given very graciously by the staff in the almost never open office.

As an RV Park, it would be nice if you don't expect to have a fire ring. There is grass at every site, it is very quiet and not much in the way of barking dogs. But Bob needs some help making you feel more welcome and it is a bit run down and the bed was terrible! So, bring your own bed, but enjoy the quiet here. We won't be going back any time soon! So long Bob!

Room Tip: Don't choose their rooms, bring your own RV
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank P S
ROOB_11, Owner at Sounds of the Sea RV Park, responded to this review, 3 October 2011
First, I was called by staff over a problem check - in, and was told that the customer said she did not get a AAA discount and referred to a “book.” I went to the office and ask her what book she was talking about, the customer said not a book but you said I would be given a AAA discount. I took the reservation and with all reservations ask if they are a Good Sam or AAA member and tell them what rate they will be charged. Our rates are posted on our web site with the GS and AAA rate. I offered to pull up the web site and show her the rate schedule, she declined, also there is no “rack rate” in a AAA book or any other book that I am aware of for our cabins. I might have looked a little dumbfounded but stare down ..no.

Staff informed me that the couple had reviewed the cabin prior to renting the unit and said it was fine. This is a 400 sq. ft. one bedroom cabin. The bed is a posturepedic Cal - King - I have never told anyone this was a King size - a cal king is larger than a queen and smaller than a king.

Lavern informed them to either call or come to the office if the needed anything, our phones are on 24/7, we never received a call from them. I was in the office when her husband came down and said they would like more towels. I inquired if they needed anything else, he said no. I ask if they were having a good anniversary and he said “yes everything was great.” I was also at the office when she checked out and I ask if everything was alright and she replied “yes.” Her only comment was they had left the dirty towels in the corner of the bath.

There was a portable barbeque available and a campfire site available, for our cabins, they never ask.

Lavern, the person that was trying to check them in does all the cleaning and has for 15 years.
This is the first time in those 15 years I have heard a complaint about cleaning. I am again dumbfounded because they did a walk-thru and never said a word about any of this when they were here.

I do appreciate your letting the other side of the story be told.

Robert Strepy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trinidad
View Crest Lodge
#4 of 21 in Eureka
Days Inn & Suites Arcata
Best Western Plus Bayshore Inn
Hampton Inn and Suites Arcata, CA

Been to Sounds of the Sea RV Park? Share your experiences!