“$80 per night? I don't think so!”
Review of Ocean Grove Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Trinidad
Ocean Grove Lodge
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Trinidad
Mill Valley, California
“$80 per night? I don't think so!”
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We checked in with a lady in the "office," a dirty, dusty, unorganized room, and a lady came out barefoot from a back room. After giving us the key, she told us that if we were going to the bar that night, to lock our dog in our car instead of leaving him in our room. She also told us that if we wandered onto the neighboring property, we would be SHOT. A weird welcome, to say the least. We went to our room, a basic cabin in the woods, which we expected, but the SMELL...like an old barn locked up for 50 years combined with old cigarette smoke....there was dirty green shag carpet and a thin sheet on the bed....we used our own bedding, which we happened to have in the car. I woke with a sore throat from the mildew. Also, the water in the sink ran brownish-orange. The restaurant/bar is dark, and smells of sweat and vomit. The food was terrible, salty and overcooked. In fact, the ONLY good thing about the night was the Monday night DJ playing raggae and the Jamaican food served after, which was brought in seperately by a jamaican man..delicious. The trees outside are wonderful, but that's about it. This place should have been $40-$50 a night, not $80.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Alisondra1

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Redding, California
Reviewed 6 July 2013

When I was very small, my family made frequent trips to Eureka-Arcata-Trinidad in the summer. We didn't have air conditioning so it was the only relief in sight from 110+ temps! We often stayed in small cabin-type motels under the redwoods. I thought it was pretty great. Since then I've traveled a lot and stayed at some pretty nice (expensive) hotels in the US and Western Europe.

Just before July 4, it got screamin' hot here (over 116 F/46C). My husband wanted to get out of town to the coast, but I pointed out that it was last minute before a major holiday, and the chances of us finding a vacancy at any price was pretty slim. He asked me to have a look, though, and that is how I wound up booking a cabin for two nights at Ocean Grove. Now, long before I met my husband I would take solo trips to Humboldt County, and I liked staying in the Trinidad area, but I had never stayed at Ocean Grove, so this was going to be a new and interesting experience for both of us. All I knew was there was a bar & Mexican restaurant on the premises. I had a look at TripAdvisor reviews, and thought this might be okay.

We got a little confused when we drove up but found the office way in the back. Check-in was easy (didn't catch the name of the nice lady). Our cabin was about 25 feet away. Note: a wide vehicle will have problems navigating the narrow roadway.

All the cabins are under tall redwoods. It's super quiet. No noise at all from Patrick's Point Drive (not that it's a busy road anyway). Cool, shady, and peaceful. The front steps were a bit beat up, and the roof was covered with heavy moss - but hey, I'm not sleeping there. The cabin itself was very clean. Plenty of hot water in the shower, a TV package with a ton of channels, and a comfortable (if firm) bed. A picnic table just outside the cabin... No phone, no pool, no pets.... it was just like the places we stayed at 50 years ago. I loved it.

Yes, it's aged. These cabins have been around a long time, but I don't care about flaking paint. No bugs, the water was clean, and the plumbing worked fine - and the price could not be beat. It got a little cool at night but the wall heater worked fine. Convenient to Highway 101, Trinidad, fishing charters, etc. If you have to have a big marble lobby, flat-screen TV, and wi-fi in the room, this won't work for you. If you want a clean, homey cabin with built-in serenity and a retro feel, this is your kind of place.

We visited the restaurant/bar a couple of times. The drinks were good and priced right. I wouldn't voluntarily eat here again, but there are plenty of nearby restaurants and cafes. Friendly, very laid-back crowd. Without giving too much away, "alternative" might be a good way to describe the bar.

We will definitely stay here again. Ocean Grove makes it affordable for us to visit the North Coast. Next time we will get a room with a kitchen so we can cook locally-sourced foods like salmon. We like this place!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank arlosmom
Berkeley, California
Reviewed 22 June 2013

OCEAN GROVE LODGE is a delightfully funky complex of a dozen huts, each of which is a duplex of two different suites. I stayed in Suite No. 10, though the number "one" had fallen off, so that the number on the door was "zero." The next door suite was Suite No. 9. My initial reason for choosing OCEAN GROVE LODGE was that the other motels on Patrick's Point Drive charged around $150 for a night. OCEAN GROVE LODGE charged only about $90. The exterior paint on the huts, the humble front porch, and the antique lanterns mounted in front of each hut, and the bare-bones utilitarian construction, lends a funky feel to all of the units. On the other hand, the interior is clean, the water at the bathroom sink and tub is hot, and the interior paint is in excellent shape. Since my vacation goal was to visit all of the secluded cliffs and beaches along the BOARDMAN CORRIDOR in Oregon, and to visit FERN CANYON, I did not have any pressing need for a glitzy piano bar or Vegas-style entertainment in the motel lounge. I quickly became accustomed to the humbly appointed OCEAN GROVE LODGE. But there is a second side to this "coin." Surrounding each hut, and bordering the narrow asphalt road that snakes its way between the huts are dozens of tall redwood trees. In fact, one of the redwood trees was located less than one inch from the front porch of my hut. The magic of this wonderful grove of redwoods grew on me, and in the early morning, I spent a couple of hours with my STRATHMORE VELLUM SURFACE sketch pad, and sharpened pencil, in hand, making sketches of the huts in OCEAN GROVE LODGE and the thick clusters of redwood trees. By the way, the huts at OCEAN GROVE LODGE do contain television sets -- the old fashioned tube-based television that was invented by American inventor PHILO FARNSWORTH. On the other hand, after a day of hiking amidst some of the most amazing scenery available on the Pacific Coast, I do not think that watching a T.V. show is going to be near the top of anybody's priority list. From the money I saved at OCEAN GROVE LODGE, I felt justified at treating myself to an expensive and elegant meal at nearby LARRUPIN'. Larrupin' is also funky, but it is intentionally funky. But the stunningly unusual Larrupin' is another story altogether! The check list below reads, "swimming pool" and "fitness center." These things are NOT RELEVANT. It is NOT the case that people visit Redwood National Park, or Fern Canyon, or Boardman Corridor because they are in need of any swimming pool or fitness center. Hiking in Redwood National Park, or in Fern Canyon, or on the trails of Boardman Corridor, is its own fitness center.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank TomBrody
Newport, Oregon
Reviewed 25 September 2012

I have to take exception with many of the reviewers saying it doesn't deserve recommendation because it hasn't been "modernized" or "updated" if it had been? You'd be paying BIG TIME for it and complaining it wasn't worth the money. For my family & I? Part of this place's charm is that it IS "lost in time". I get to enjoy the hidden treasures of my California youth. The location, relative private cabins, kitchenette's to try and save a few bucks AND the economy of this place's room rates are the attraction... Is it fancy? no. Does it have a vintage feel to little bungalow cabins of days gone by? Yes. Here's the important thing....I've never been here when it wasn't CLEAN and comfortable! I cannot wait to go back...especially if everyone else will be down the coast paying 300 a night while I sip a beer on the porch and enjoy the trees and beach.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank mermaidtears2010
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 15 August 2012

In bad need of modernization. Lost in time. Lucky to get one star. Will not stay here again; prefer to camp somewhere with nice shared bathrooms. Stay here only of you're desperate and really can't sleep in your car.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Northstar702

Travellers are raving about these Trinidad hotels

Arcata, California
Reviewed 10 January 2012

If you want to get a feel of the "real" Northern Humboldt vibe check this place out. It's just a short distance from downtown Trinidad. The cabins are not super new or nice, they average around $70/night.
The cabins are tucked in among large redwood trees which means that they are shaded, and therefore the surrounding environment is a bit damp. Trinidad air is moist because it is right on the coast. There are multiple beautiful beaches within walking distance (15-20minutes walking) and driving (5 minutes)
There are decks on some of the cabins which are nice. The little kitchens in some of the cabins are also cool.
Monday night is Reggae Night at the bar so expect a loud and FUN party late into the night. Don't come expecting anything too fancy and you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Bring air freshener and a sleeping bag : )
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank Bucktooth B
Groningen, The Netherlands
Reviewed 5 January 2012

It was an awesome experience to spend the night in a nice cabin at the foot of, and in between, giant Redwood trees! Apart from the cabin being nice and comfortable and the rate being very sympathetic, the being among the age old trees in itself was impressive beyond description!

Room Tip: Just go and check it out for yourselves.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank pplpilot
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trinidad
View Crest Lodge
Ramada Arcata
Ramada Arcata
#7 of 10 in Arcata
Emerald Forest Cabins & RV

Been to Ocean Grove Lodge? Share your experiences!