“Kind of like camping without the tent”
Review of Ocean Grove Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Trinidad
Ocean Grove Lodge
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Trinidad
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We were traveling up the coast and I wanted to stay in the middle of the redwoods but we had flown out to California so we didn't have a tent. The Ocean Grove Lodge has eight or ten cabins sitting in a grove of redwoods. Right outside the door to our cabin were giant trees soaring to the sky. It is a beautiful setting. They have worked to keep the trees and not just have a giant parking lot. In fact, it is one way in and then you have to wind your way back out through even more redwoods. Our cabin which I belive was #4 was clean, the furniture was a bit dated but fine. We enjoyed sitting outside and reading under the giant trees. The walls were thin. We could clearly hear the TV from the adjoining cabin and I don't think it was turned up that loud. Fortunately they turned it off around midnight. We tried to cover it up by running the heater but made our room super hot, so we did not get a good nights sleep. Several of the other "cabins" were old rundown looking trailers. At $90 a night it seemed overpriced. However, when I was checking prices that was about as good as I could find near the coast in Northern California. Our room was fine except for the thin wall but the trailers looked really bad. It did accomplish what we wanted, which was a place to stay in the middle of some redwoods. I'd stay again because of the beautiful environment outside of the room. However, if it wasn't in the middle of all the trees I would probably keep moving.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank McJayhawk

Reviewed 22 August 2013

Room number 2 is gross the Carpet, Bed, Bedding, nasty. Looked like blood stains on comforter. Could not get out of bed without shoes on. Stinks of either a propane leak or poop. Never again.Could be so cool.

• Stayed: August 2013
9  Thank 2004chevy
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We were forced to stay here because everything else was full in Trinidad. We got their last room which was their "suite" it was an old run down 2 bedroom mobile home that REEKED of cat piss and was very dirty! My 18 month old kept getting into the cupboards pulling out gross items others had left behind and at one point i noticed my daughter had something in her mouth, turned out to be a old piece of chewed up gum she had found on the floor! Absolutely disgusting!!!!! Better off sleeping in your car!! I couldn't sleep a wink due to the overwhelming stench of cat piss and mildew and woke up with a sore throat. The worst $125 i ever spent!

• Stayed: July 2013
8  Thank haileys-mama
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Dirty Room full of spider webs arrounf the beds, really bad smell and we found a huge spider by the sink. We tried telling the lady at the front desk but she didnt open the door for us. Over all DO NOT COME HERE!!

• Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank EM2k13
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We checked in with a lady in the "office," a dirty, dusty, unorganized room, and a lady came out barefoot from a back room. After giving us the key, she told us that if we were going to the bar that night, to lock our dog in our car instead of leaving him in our room. She also told us that if we wandered onto the neighboring property, we would be SHOT. A weird welcome, to say the least. We went to our room, a basic cabin in the woods, which we expected, but the SMELL...like an old barn locked up for 50 years combined with old cigarette smoke....there was dirty green shag carpet and a thin sheet on the bed....we used our own bedding, which we happened to have in the car. I woke with a sore throat from the mildew. Also, the water in the sink ran brownish-orange. The restaurant/bar is dark, and smells of sweat and vomit. The food was terrible, salty and overcooked. In fact, the ONLY good thing about the night was the Monday night DJ playing raggae and the Jamaican food served after, which was brought in seperately by a jamaican man..delicious. The trees outside are wonderful, but that's about it. This place should have been $40-$50 a night, not $80.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Alisondra1
Reviewed 6 July 2013

When I was very small, my family made frequent trips to Eureka-Arcata-Trinidad in the summer. We didn't have air conditioning so it was the only relief in sight from 110+ temps! We often stayed in small cabin-type motels under the redwoods. I thought it was pretty great. Since then I've traveled a lot and stayed at some pretty nice (expensive) hotels in the US and Western Europe.

Just before July 4, it got screamin' hot here (over 116 F/46C). My husband wanted to get out of town to the coast, but I pointed out that it was last minute before a major holiday, and the chances of us finding a vacancy at any price was pretty slim. He asked me to have a look, though, and that is how I wound up booking a cabin for two nights at Ocean Grove. Now, long before I met my husband I would take solo trips to Humboldt County, and I liked staying in the Trinidad area, but I had never stayed at Ocean Grove, so this was going to be a new and interesting experience for both of us. All I knew was there was a bar & Mexican restaurant on the premises. I had a look at TripAdvisor reviews, and thought this might be okay.

We got a little confused when we drove up but found the office way in the back. Check-in was easy (didn't catch the name of the nice lady). Our cabin was about 25 feet away. Note: a wide vehicle will have problems navigating the narrow roadway.

All the cabins are under tall redwoods. It's super quiet. No noise at all from Patrick's Point Drive (not that it's a busy road anyway). Cool, shady, and peaceful. The front steps were a bit beat up, and the roof was covered with heavy moss - but hey, I'm not sleeping there. The cabin itself was very clean. Plenty of hot water in the shower, a TV package with a ton of channels, and a comfortable (if firm) bed. A picnic table just outside the cabin... No phone, no pool, no pets.... it was just like the places we stayed at 50 years ago. I loved it.

Yes, it's aged. These cabins have been around a long time, but I don't care about flaking paint. No bugs, the water was clean, and the plumbing worked fine - and the price could not be beat. It got a little cool at night but the wall heater worked fine. Convenient to Highway 101, Trinidad, fishing charters, etc. If you have to have a big marble lobby, flat-screen TV, and wi-fi in the room, this won't work for you. If you want a clean, homey cabin with built-in serenity and a retro feel, this is your kind of place.

We visited the restaurant/bar a couple of times. The drinks were good and priced right. I wouldn't voluntarily eat here again, but there are plenty of nearby restaurants and cafes. Friendly, very laid-back crowd. Without giving too much away, "alternative" might be a good way to describe the bar.

We will definitely stay here again. Ocean Grove makes it affordable for us to visit the North Coast. Next time we will get a room with a kitchen so we can cook locally-sourced foods like salmon. We like this place!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank arlosmom
Reviewed 22 June 2013

OCEAN GROVE LODGE is a delightfully funky complex of a dozen huts, each of which is a duplex of two different suites. I stayed in Suite No. 10, though the number "one" had fallen off, so that the number on the door was "zero." The next door suite was Suite No. 9. My initial reason for choosing OCEAN GROVE LODGE was that the other motels on Patrick's Point Drive charged around $150 for a night. OCEAN GROVE LODGE charged only about $90. The exterior paint on the huts, the humble front porch, and the antique lanterns mounted in front of each hut, and the bare-bones utilitarian construction, lends a funky feel to all of the units. On the other hand, the interior is clean, the water at the bathroom sink and tub is hot, and the interior paint is in excellent shape. Since my vacation goal was to visit all of the secluded cliffs and beaches along the BOARDMAN CORRIDOR in Oregon, and to visit FERN CANYON, I did not have any pressing need for a glitzy piano bar or Vegas-style entertainment in the motel lounge. I quickly became accustomed to the humbly appointed OCEAN GROVE LODGE. But there is a second side to this "coin." Surrounding each hut, and bordering the narrow asphalt road that snakes its way between the huts are dozens of tall redwood trees. In fact, one of the redwood trees was located less than one inch from the front porch of my hut. The magic of this wonderful grove of redwoods grew on me, and in the early morning, I spent a couple of hours with my STRATHMORE VELLUM SURFACE sketch pad, and sharpened pencil, in hand, making sketches of the huts in OCEAN GROVE LODGE and the thick clusters of redwood trees. By the way, the huts at OCEAN GROVE LODGE do contain television sets -- the old fashioned tube-based television that was invented by American inventor PHILO FARNSWORTH. On the other hand, after a day of hiking amidst some of the most amazing scenery available on the Pacific Coast, I do not think that watching a T.V. show is going to be near the top of anybody's priority list. From the money I saved at OCEAN GROVE LODGE, I felt justified at treating myself to an expensive and elegant meal at nearby LARRUPIN'. Larrupin' is also funky, but it is intentionally funky. But the stunningly unusual Larrupin' is another story altogether! The check list below reads, "swimming pool" and "fitness center." These things are NOT RELEVANT. It is NOT the case that people visit Redwood National Park, or Fern Canyon, or Boardman Corridor because they are in need of any swimming pool or fitness center. Hiking in Redwood National Park, or in Fern Canyon, or on the trails of Boardman Corridor, is its own fitness center.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank TomBrody
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trinidad
View Crest Lodge
Trinidad Bay Bed & Breakfast Hotel
Trinidad Inn
Trinidad Inn
#4 of 5 in Trinidad

Been to Ocean Grove Lodge? Share your experiences!