“Good option for the budget traveler.”
Review of View Crest Lodge

View Crest Lodge
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Trinidad
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Trinidad is a good location to stay if you plan to visit the Redwood State parks. There's reasonable options for lodging, dinning and many of the sights are within striking distance. However, budget options for places to stay are somewhat limited so book in advance if possible. I ended up finding a small room in View Crest Lodge that worked out well for a solo traveler.Fairly priced at $75 a night. The room, which was above a garage, was clean, comfortable and had a small but serviceable kitchenette with fridge, microwave etc. The staff were friendly, and gave good advice on places to eat and shop etc.
There were two minor drawbacks, one was the noisy fridge, which may effect a light sleeper, and the 2nd was the location of the bathroom which was downstairs, the bedroom was upstairs. Given the very reasonable tariff, I can't complain. I would consider staying at the View Crest Lodge again, but I would probably seek out a different room with a more convenient layout.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 9 July 2013

First of all, the location is stunning. The price (in my opinion) was fair and well worth it. Our cabin had a full kitchen and lots of space, including a lovely patio that gave us a great view of the sunset. You are very close to Patrick's Point, a gorgeous beach location with breath taking cliffs and even some tide pools if you visit at the right time of day (check the low tide times). The bed was comfortable and every day when we returned the place was clean and sparkling. There were two nesting swallows on the patio, which was a really neat touch, albeit unintentional. At the front desk, they'll help you with anything you need to know - from sunrise/sunset times to local restaurants and markets, to attractions.

What I loved most is the quiet, intimate feel of the cabin. My significant other and I truly wanted to get away and enjoy our time in the beauty of Northern California, and we were absolutely able to do that at View Crest. I definitely recommend staying here! It is a bit far from some Redwood attractions, depending on where you'd like to go. We were about 15-20 minutes away from Lady Bird Johnson Grove and Fern Canyon. But you're practically across the street from Patrick's Point State Park, which is a huge perk.

One small downside: The fire alarm in our cabin was a bit touchy, and when we cooked breakfast in the mornings it would usually go off. We kept the doors open to avoid this. Just beware!

Room Tip: We stayed in cabin 9, and it was excellent for two - roomy, clean, and a good sized kitchen.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank GennaDac
Reviewed 9 July 2013 via mobile

What a wonderful find! This lodge offers several options for cabins and pricing. We were in room 6 which was very spacious and the full kitchen lent itself well to grilling (grill provided). The patio was a great place for a glass of wine and some cards! There was an attached private hot tub which we chose not to use (and saved a little $) but I imagine it would only enhance the experience. This lodge is close to parks and trails and don't forget to stop by the town of Trinidad too. There are some great ocean view trails worth your time. I would highly recommend View Crest over the traditional hotel experience.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Dusty S
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Location is very great. Great service and the staff is very friendly. I would defiantly recommend this place to all my friends and family. The rooms have a lot of space and even come with a kitchen. It is very close to the beach and hiking trails as well.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Overall, this is a nice place to stay & we would return if we're ever back in the area, although we would probably choose a different cabin. The Good: It's a very quiet & peaceful setting with lots of critters to watch & listen to. We chose to stay 2 nights in cabin 1A because it is the most affordable option, being the only duplex. It has one queen bed, a kitchenette, and a nice deck out back. The property is very close to Patrick's Point State Park, a lovely place to visit. There is also free cable/HBO, internet, and long distance phone service. The Bad: The "fantastic ocean view" described on the website is certainly an over statement. There is rather a fantastic view of the trees, electric/phone lines, & back of the property across the street. A tiny sliver of the ocean does peek through above the other property's roof...not what I would consider a fantastic view. If you want a view of the ocean, do not stay in cabin 1A. There was a horrible smell of rotting fish in the kitchenette area, we think it was coming from the fridge, but not entirely sure. It lingered our entire stay. Also upon our arrival, the desk/work area was covered in some kind of left over sticky food(?) substance from the previous guests that housekeeping had not wiped clean enough, and the ants found this to be wonderful and invaded the entire countertop. The hot water heater is set way too high and while showering I turned and accidentally nudged the shower control all the way to hot, and got a nice burn on my back. It was temporary, but had it been more than just 1st degree the property may have been looking at a lawsuit. There are no screens in the windows, and the cabin gets stuffy if the windows are closed. So, to make the place tolerable we opened the windows, but had to deal with the bugs coming in. So that's the good and bad of it all.

Room Tip: Stay in cabin 1A only if you're looking to save money. If you're not looking to save money...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cruiser777
Reviewed 20 June 2013

I stayed here mid-may 2013. On the whole, it was comfortable, clean, and a good location, and I felt safe as a single female travelling alone.

The kitchen was a very decent size, with the basics you need. The bathroom was very generous. There was a very strong onion odour throughout the cabin, obviously an issue when the kitchen/living/bedroom is all open plan.

It's a bit of a drive into Trinidad proper, but not an issue if you are self catering. Murphy's there provides everything you need and more.

I think I would stay again if needing to have a base in the area for more than one night. I would however, try to get one of the cabins that sit further forward towards the road - with the grassed area at the front of the cabin. This is because these seemed to afford greater privacy for both the deck space, living room and bedroom area, and because my sleep was very disturbed by the people in the cabins in front / front left of mine, who car parking area aligns with the bedroom lounge are of the cabin I stayed in, and who were extremely noisy and kept their lights on/cars running for quite some time around midnight. More of an issue for management to deal with, and which I hope they do in terms of impressing on guests to be quiet after a certain hour and conscious of other guests.

I would also hope that they go online soon, it was a pain not having an email address and having to try and get through with international calls from Australia.

Room Tip: Try to not get one of the cabins further back, the best would be the middle - not right next to the...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank to513
Reviewed 27 May 2013

What a comfortable, charming place! I felt like I was moving in rather than staying a few nights. Everything was clean and comfy. They even provided a recliner in front of the TV (and HBO On Demand - what a treat!). It was lovely to have dinner on the picnic table on the lawn and then sit on the deck and watch the sun go down. It was very quiet and the bed was comfortable. I loved having a kitchen to fix meals and hot tea. I stayed several places all along the Redwoods, and this was definitely the best.

A short drive to the Redwoods, or to Arcata with lots of restaurants (and the Hot Tub at Finnish County Sauna). Next time I will stay longer and just do short drives to area locations. It's worth it to stay at such a nice place.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trinidad
Carter House Inns
Carter House Inns
#3 of 21 in Eureka
Best Western Plus Humboldt Bay Inn
Best Western Plus Bayshore Inn
Hampton Inn and Suites Arcata, CA
Emerald Forest Cabins & RV
Arcata/Eureka Holiday Inn Express

Been to View Crest Lodge? Share your experiences!