“More like a 3.5; I'd stay here again”
Review of View Crest Lodge

View Crest Lodge
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Trinidad
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Given the lodging choices in Trinidad, I think this is a good choice for the price, despite my "average" rating. My comments apply specifically for cabin #7 (one of the two "economy" cabins); the other cabins may be (and almost certainly are) different.

Pluses: Heater worked well, management very friendly and helpful, roomy cabin with mini-fridge, small microwave, a few plates, bowls, eating utensils, cups, etc., and a bar sink. Small sofa, queen sized comfortable bed, 35”? HDTV with cable including HBO. Well located, less than 10 minutes from Trinidad, about 25 from Arcada, and 35 from Eureka.

Negs: Noisy heater, room odor (combination of what seemed to be mustiness, cigarette smoke, and pet odor, though smoking and pets are now prohibited), slanted flooring in places, right off of the road (though not too much traffic at night), wifi didn’t work a few times, but mostly ok, small 3x3 stall shower with ants parading between a hole in the wall near the ceiling and the shower arm hole; dead bolt doesn’t lock from the outside (with the provided key).

Overall: Compared to the other options we investigated, a very good deal for the money.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TigersFan2

Reviewed 1 July 2014

This was an overnight stay on a road trip, and the duplex cabin was very quiet, and clean, and well maintained. The birds on the patio were the loudest noises, and a joy. We really enjoyed the quiet, serene setting at the View Crest Lodge. It seems to a privately owned lodging facility. We would highly recommend it.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank HarveySm
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Cold summer days in Trinidad with clam chowder hit the spot. And a good spot for enjoying it is the View Crest Lodge. I was a tiny bit disappointed that it was a bit out of town, and wasn't on the side of the road overlooking the ocean directly....but not a big deal. Nice host, clean cottage, comfortable...and they upgraded us to a hot tub cottage without us even asking. The cottage we got was 2 queens, with a bed off the "living area" and a separate bedroom, which worked out great with the kids.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Damicoaustin
Reviewed 19 June 2014

My husband and I were on our anniversary/my college graduation trip and we wanted to relax near the redwoods and the coast. THIS WAS THE PERFECT WAY TO DO IT! Our trip started out a little rocky in another hotel in a city I will not mention and View Crest made up for that.
Also, this is usually hard for me to say as I am a housekeeping manager at a 4 start hotel in Portland and I am picky about the cleanliness of my hotels. It was VERY CLEAN, and comfortable. The spa tub in the bathroom was tremendous and I took advantage of that in our room. The bed was perfect, not too soft and not to hard (I feel like goldie locks saying that) and my husband and I rested very very well. It was quiet and our room had a small angled view where we could see the ocean. The patio had a BBQ (which if we had stayed longer would have taken advantage of) and the patio was big enough to sit out and enjoy the peace and quiet.
It was close to everything we needed, 20 minutes from plenty of hiking trails into the redwoods, and within 15 minutes of beaches. Trinidad is right down the road and easy access if you want to shop at their local grocery store to cook in your cottage (we did and enjoyed having that option) or want to eat at one of their restaurants, or go to the little memorial they have for those lost at sea which hosts fantastic views over their bay.
The person who checked us in was knowledgeable of the area and he was friendly.

Room Tip: Book a room with the spa tub... it was fabulous!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Kristen J
Reviewed 7 June 2014

The room was dirty when we arrived; old food on counters/stove, leaves on the carpet, hair and dirt in the bathroom drawers. I went to the office and asked the manager for some anti-bacterial wipes. He gave us some, apologized, but did not offer to have the room cleaned or switch rooms. Advertised as a ocean view, really you could only see the ocean if you stood on the front porch and craned your head to the left. I feel for the money and description, it was very overpriced. On a side note, we have stayed at Turtle Rocks Inn right across the street and it was lovely

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Hosanna H
Reviewed 4 June 2014

My wife and I stayed in cabin #10 for three nights. It had a full kitchen, large bathroom with jetted tub and separate shower, a deck where we ate our meals after cooking on the provided BBQ. We enjoyed the scenery of the ocean, the redwoods, and the sounds of the sea lions and the ocean. Our cabin was set back from the road and the property was far enough away from 101 to have no traffic noise, We could only glimpse the ocean through the trees from our deck, but from the picnic tables we enjoyed our dessert and wine every night as we watched the sun go down. Patrick point SP is less than a mile away with beach access and redwoods to enjoy. Beautiful scenery and clean cabins, still wish we were there.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Steve_and_Lisa30
Reviewed 21 May 2014

My husband and I dropped in one evening after a long day of driving. The cozy cabins and beautiful grounds were a welcome relief. The sounds of the seals on the rocks below just added to the atmosphere. The views are limited due to the trees but you do catch openings where you can see the ocean. My only regret is that we couldn't stay longer. The Patrick's Point state park just down the road has a wonderful beach and some excellent hiking. The little town of Trinidad is lovely as well.

Room Tip: Ask for a view.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank BBTex
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trinidad
Carter House Inns
Carter House Inns
#3 of 21 in Eureka
Best Western Plus Humboldt Bay Inn
Best Western Plus Bayshore Inn
Hampton Inn and Suites Arcata, CA
Emerald Forest Cabins & RV
Arcata/Eureka Holiday Inn Express

Been to View Crest Lodge? Share your experiences!