“Cozy, spacious and scenic”
Review of View Crest Lodge

View Crest Lodge
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Trinidad
“Cozy, spacious and scenic”
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

We spent two nights in one of the larger units and thought it was great. There is a full kitchen, a separate bedroom where the kids slept, and another queen-size bed in the large living room (a reason for four stars instead of a perfect five is that the mattress was so hard, neither of us slept well). The bathroom is huge, with a great shower. The living room opens onto a large private deck facing the ocean, which is visible in the afternoon when the fog burns off, and we could hear the harbor seals (or was it the sea lions?) barking from there. We cooked a nice dinner, bundled up and ate out there. It was a little bit damp -- our deck table had some moisture damage -- so we just used our picnic tablecloth. It must be very difficult to keep the moisture out in a consistently foggy environment. It's a great value for the money -- I've paid more for less many times. We paid under $200 a night for all that. It's not the Ritz, but it is very comfortable, the manager was extremely nice to us, and it's a perfect place from which to enjoy the many surrounding state and national parks. I highly recommend it.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Supersonic89

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Finnish first
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stayed at the View Crest Lodge # 7 at the end of July, 2014. The area is beautiful, but the room was really dusty and smelled like mold. We pulled down the sheets and found ants in the bed. We called the office, and the manager showed up to our room quickly. He brought us extra linen and was going to spray Raid around the bed and wall where he thought they were coming in, right before we were going to bed. He said he didn't have any other vacant rooms or he would have switched us and that these ants are common in this area; he called them "piss ants". I asked him not to spray Raid in the room because I didn't want us to become ill. I don't know about the other rooms, but I would never stay here again. The shower curtain had orange staph growing at the bottom and I was scared to let it touch my skin. The room décor had an outdated appearance. On the plus side, the location is minutes away from a fabulous restaurant down in the harbor. The view from the room was nice, but it wasn't a direct view of the ocean due to trees. It's right off of hwy 101 so convenient to find.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Redskinsfan44
Belchertown, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed in cottage 1b. The view across the road to the ocean was lovely and this property is located near the parks and the town of Trinidad. It is a typical beach rental. There is a slight musty odor in the room but ample windows to open and eliminate it. The room was age worn but clean- although I would not eat off the rug and would prefer the bird droppings be cleaned up off the deck's corner. The bed was not great- too soft for my taste but the linen was fresh and the comforter was brand new. There is a small fridge and microwave and enough serve-ware for a family of 4 to dine in in a room built for 2. If you sit out on the deck the hummingbirds will visit you and there are delicious blackberries growing right out the back door. It is a Basic Beach Cottage. Perfect landing pad for a National Park Vacation.

Room Tip: Get a cottage with a view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kaycee12561
Chico, California, United States
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

I have to say, I've stayed at this location one other time years ago and was impressed, but this time couldn't have been more perfect! I was in room #7 and it was lovely! The French doors opening out onto the large patio was heaven. I just left the doors open and let the sea air in. I sat out on the patio reading with a glass of wine, and just relaxed. The room was large and the bed was comfortable. They had a new flat screen TV and a small kitchenette. The price was so low that it was almost shocking! Just over 100.00, and for the area, that's almost unheard of. I've stayed at much lower quality places for much more money. I will be staying here every time I come back to the coast.

• Stayed July 2014
6 Thank Elaina D
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Given the lodging choices in Trinidad, I think this is a good choice for the price, despite my "average" rating. My comments apply specifically for cabin #7 (one of the two "economy" cabins); the other cabins may be (and almost certainly are) different.

Pluses: Heater worked well, management very friendly and helpful, roomy cabin with mini-fridge, small microwave, a few plates, bowls, eating utensils, cups, etc., and a bar sink. Small sofa, queen sized comfortable bed, 35”? HDTV with cable including HBO. Well located, less than 10 minutes from Trinidad, about 25 from Arcada, and 35 from Eureka.

Negs: Noisy heater, room odor (combination of what seemed to be mustiness, cigarette smoke, and pet odor, though smoking and pets are now prohibited), slanted flooring in places, right off of the road (though not too much traffic at night), wifi didn’t work a few times, but mostly ok, small 3x3 stall shower with ants parading between a hole in the wall near the ceiling and the shower arm hole; dead bolt doesn’t lock from the outside (with the provided key).

Overall: Compared to the other options we investigated, a very good deal for the money.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TigersFan2
Keizer, Oregon
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

This was an overnight stay on a road trip, and the duplex cabin was very quiet, and clean, and well maintained. The birds on the patio were the loudest noises, and a joy. We really enjoyed the quiet, serene setting at the View Crest Lodge. It seems to a privately owned lodging facility. We would highly recommend it.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank HarveySm
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Cold summer days in Trinidad with clam chowder hit the spot. And a good spot for enjoying it is the View Crest Lodge. I was a tiny bit disappointed that it was a bit out of town, and wasn't on the side of the road overlooking the ocean directly....but not a big deal. Nice host, clean cottage, comfortable...and they upgraded us to a hot tub cottage without us even asking. The cottage we got was 2 queens, with a bed off the "living area" and a separate bedroom, which worked out great with the kids.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Damicoaustin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trinidad
Carter House Inns
Town House Motel - Historic Old Town
Red Lion Hotel Eureka
Red Lion Hotel Eureka
#5 of 21 in Eureka

Been to View Crest Lodge? Share your experiences!