“Perfect Stay!”
Review of Turtle Rocks Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Trinidad
Turtle Rocks Inn
Ranked #3 of 5 Trinidad B&B and Inns
Birmingham, Alabama
“Perfect Stay!”
Reviewed 4 December 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Turtle Rocks Inn for 2 nights on our anniversary road trip from Portland to San Francisco. I swear we could have stayed our whole 10 days here! We stayed in room with a good size balcony that overlooked the most stunning view of the Pacific. It was so nice to wake up to the ocean every morning. The owners provide community binoculars for whale and sea lion watching. We saw our share of sea lions, but no whales unfortunately. We enjoyed delicious breakfast each morning and were impressed with the owners willingness to accommodate for food allergies or specifics, like gluten free or vegan. The place was quiet, but in close proximity to a number of activities. We went into Trinidad one afternoon to walk around then made our way about 20 minutes down the road to Arcata for a yoga class and dinner at Three Foods Cafe. The next day (Thanksgiving), we drove 20 minutes in the opposite direction and did a 10 mile hike through the Redwoods - where they filmed Jurassic Park 2! The owners also offered to secure Thanksgiving reservations at a wonderful restaurant called, Moonstone Grill. The beds were so cozy and the room size was very comfortable! The whole stay was just perfect. We will be back.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank emilie m

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

Lovely B&B, very spacious rooms, comfortable mattress, beautiful grounds, lots of windows to overlook fabulous coastline. The grounds and the ocean overlook was pleasant. The inn keepers were very friendly and helpful with knowledge of the area. The coffee cake was very good. Highly recommend this Inn.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jrryo
Kansas City, MO
Reviewed 10 November 2013

This is a destination place to stay. By that I mean you come here to stay at the Turtle Rocks Inn, you don't stay here solely because you happen to be traveling in the area. We stayed in the Suite upstairs, and it's just fantastic. You have an incredibly gorgeous view of the ocean out your huge set of picture windows right by the bed. This place is right on the ocean, on a cliff but with a walking path down to the beach. You can leave the window partially open and hear the seals (sea lions?) barking at night, and listen to the sound of the waves and the ocean. It's so peaceful. And the food is great. The star of the show are the breakfasts, served downstairs in the main dining room, with a nice view and other tables around (food is included in the room cost, by the way, and don't overlook what a nice perk that is). You don't have to sit at one big table withryeveryone else but if you want to talk to other people, you can. Not only are the breakfasts good, but the baked good left out for guests all day are also great. There's a refrigerator where they provide bottled water but you can also take advantage of putting your own food in there, which is really handy if you want to just eat in your room and look out over the wonderful view (which we did). The place is very clean (not just the room but the whole place) and very comfortable. The bed was very comfortable, there's plenty of room in the shower and the water pressure is very good, plenty of towels and washcloths, plenty of room in the bathroom. There's a TV in the entertainment center but we didn't even think of watching TV with the view and the romantic experience of just being there with nature. Now, despite what I said earlier about not staying here simply because you're staying in the area, from a location perspective, this is also a great place to stay, because it's a great launching point to visit the redwoods and other attractions in Northern California. For us, it's all the redwoods but there are also the lagoons and Fern Canyon that are major nearby attractions. Prairie Creek Redwoods state park is very close, and it's not even all that long a drive to Jedediah Smith Redwoods state park, which has two of our favorite groves/trails, Stout Grove and Boy Scout Tree. And to the south if you feel like going to Eureka or Ferndale, those are fairly close destinations as well. And there are actually good restaurants (like Larrupin) right in Trinidad as well. When you put it all together - the ocean, the seals, the view, the huge rooms, the comfortable bed, the great food, and the great location, you've really got something special. A place we will continue to return to, for all these reasons.

Room Tip: Hard to beat the upstairs Suite - huge picture windows, private deck, huge room
Athens, Georgia
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Spent three nights at Turtle Rocks Inn, could not have been more pleased, happy, mesmerized or content, We arrived at the Inn in the late afternoon and were met by Francine at the front door. She showed us to our room, number 2 (I think, next to the common area and kitchen).
We thought that we might want to be farther away from the common area but discovered that the proximity to the door to the yard and the refrigerator along with the lack of evening events that it was the perfect room for eating-in and going out to see the sunset and the stars on the decks at the edge of the backyard overlooking the "turtle rocks". All in all the perfect location for the northern end of our No. California trip. Had planned to move on going farther north but upon staying one night we did not want to leave and ended up staying two more nights.
Francine and Roger are wonderful hosts and the breakfasts and afternoon cookies and coffee cakes were delicious.
I could not recommend any place higher than I can recommend Turtle Rocks Inn!
I can't say you will have the same experience as us, my wife loved the views and the stars and the quiet. But I can say that I would go back tomorrow and stay as long as i could, can't say that very often.
Loved it!!!!!!!!.

Room Tip: All rooms have great views. Watch the sunset from the deck, get some take out in trinidad to eat at...
2 Thank Jimmy L
California
Reviewed 25 October 2013

My father was visiting from the east coast and we spend one night at Turtle Rocks. It was the PERFECT selection. My Dad stayed in the king bed, while the owners were kind enough to put a roll away in the room for me. My Dad and I loved sitting on the deck and hearing the sea lions barking. The food was wonderful - from the cookies/fruit snacks in the afternoon to the lovely buffet breakfast in the morning. The buffet was far from your "usual" buffet - lovely freshly made rolls, quiche and coffee cake - plus fruit, cereal etc...
Roger told me about an easy access beach for finding interesting rocks (potentially some agates) - vs going to the busier "Agate Beach".
The owners recommended Larrupin for dining - and it too was a treat! If you want a great place to relax - definitely put Turtle Rocks on your itinerary!

Room Tip: We had a first floor room - it was great!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Nancy B
Bishop
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I selected this B&B after reading reviews on trip advisor and was scheduled for two nights. I arrived 20 minutes early for check-in. I rang a bell and Francine came on the intercom and asked if I was a registered guest and I told her I was. She said I was early, but would be to the front door shortly. Then a male voice (not sure who it was) came on the intercom and asked what I wanted. I told him I was a guest. He then stated, "Check-in is not until 3:00 and they are still vacuuming." Francine, a few minutes later, showed up at the door and told me I could hang out in the common area or go outside and look at the decks. The location and view are beautiful. I walked down to the first deck and noticed a large shell filled with cigarette butts. Quite frankly, it was a little disgusting. Francine then came and showed me to my room (#4). Francine was fine. The room was nice and clean. The issue was that I had smokers directly below me and guest are allowed to smoke on their decks. This is disclosed on their website and I did not see it. The smoke came up through my deck door and window. I shut my door and window and did not sit on my deck. You can also hear guests talking in their rooms. There were really nice guest there so it was not a problem, but something you should know. The bed is really comfortable and the cookies are great. There is no coffee maker in the rooms so you would need to go downstairs if you are an early riser (breakfast is not until 8:45 a.m.). The electric fireplace in room 4 was not working very well and the room was a little cool in the evening. I am trying to be fair, but I was really disappointed. I had just left a B&B in Depoe Bay that was so wonderful and the hosts were gracious and warm. I decided not to stay the second night.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank Mbak633
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I picked Turtle Rocks Inn based on tripadvisor reviews, and it was everything we hoped it would be and more. We stayed for 4 nights in October 2013 and Roger and Francine were gracious hosts with lots of knowledge about things to do in the area. Breakfast was great, and the view from the room can't be beat. Definitely would go back again if we are in the area!

1 Thank outside25
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trinidad
View Crest Lodge
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Eureka
Hotel Arcata
Hotel Arcata
#5 of 10 in Arcata

Been to Turtle Rocks Inn? Share your experiences!