“Waiting to leave”

Coffee Creek Ranch
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Waiting to leave”
Reviewed 17 August 2012

We stopped here on route from Tacoma to San Francisco. The staff were very accomodating and good-natured but they were short-handed and I was not impressed with the value. My daughter and I went on a scenic horse-back ride that we could not enjoy because we were afraid of the cliff like trail. The horses were not as well trained as they should have been considering the treacherous terrain. The fans in the cabins were annoyingly loud. The water in the shower was cold. The service in the dining hall was extremely slow owing to the fact that the server had broken his back in 5 places and should have been resting in a retirement setting. We were charged an incredible amount of money for what I would call a disappointing experience.

Room Tip: Ask when the water is ready for bathing and call ahead for any dietary needs. Also find a room with...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank hatchje
CoffeeCreekRanch, Owner at Coffee Creek Ranch, responded to this review, 31 May 2013
This family booked about a week prior to coming after calling several times. Min stay is 3 nights in the summer and with the economy we realize family time is important. At first they were going to stay 2 nights and we agreed to that, then when they arrived they told us they were only staying one night and checking out the next day. We did not charge them for the second night as no deposit was received to secure the reservation and without a deposit we do not know if guests are going to show up or not, We had a staff member, a wrangler that had to have that day off for a doctor's appt, so everyone was helping, including my husband with a fractured spine. The pre-registration form was filled out upon check-in so we didn't learn of her husband low dairy dietary needs until that moment. I had to send someone to the store for special milk about an hour away one way. Normal price for just one night with three meals without riding is $545 their rate which included the riding for her and her son (not daughter) and her husband's stay wa $370.66 including the taxes. So I don't believe we overcharged them. The ride was our ditch trail which is a normal trail cut into the side of the mountain. It is a beginner trail. Her son screamed the whole way and we were told that he had ridden for several years trotting on a pony. So the experience for the other guests was not enjoyable and we apologized to them. We then gave a free lesson to her son in the round corral after the ride at no charge so he would have a positive experience with a horse. He was still screaming during the lesson and we had to end it. We tried everything to please this family.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
red bluff
Reviewed 5 August 2012

I just like to say that I had a wonderful time at coffee creek ranch,The owners Mark and Ruth Hartman made us feel so relax there and the rest of of her help were very polite to us I would recomend this vacation resort to anyone, go have some fun!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are good
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Lincoln, California, United States
Reviewed 14 July 2012

We are just home from a week at Coffee Creek Ranch? What a great experience. My two grandsons (twelve years of age) and I shared a cozy cabin --just rustic enough to believe we were in the horse country but complete with the modern conveniences that make a vacation comfortable. The food was exemplary and memorable. One grandson asked for recipes and Ruth is going to mail them. The boys enjoyed the large swimming pool, the ping pong table and pool room. They panned for gold, hit a bull's eye in archery and did target shooting with a rifle for the first time. They not only rode horses but got to feed them. There was a Bonfire and even medals for the boys. I especially liked the fact that technology was limited to Internet access and thus I had their attention and company for the whole time. This is not my first "dude" ranch but it is my favorite. Mark and Ruth Hartman are wonderful hosts and very charming people. Their staff was wonderful, friendly and helpful. The horses were beautiful and well cared for. All in all a perfect family vacation.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Dianne M
los angeles
Reviewed 20 January 2011

Coffee Creek Ranch provided an excellent vaction spot for my teenage son, and my friend and her son. Located in the gorgeous Trinity area, with a creek running through it. The cabins were comfortable and clean, the food excellent, and the staff friendly and helpful. The activities were terrific--we did everything and it was very flexible about doing things at times we wanted. We liked the ranch because it was more than just horsebackriding. We did archery, riflery, trap shooting, gold panning, badmitton, pool, fusbol, rodeo games, and more. The nightly dinners with fun activities was like being at a kid-adult camp. The ranch is totally comfortable. It's not over the top and could use a little sprucing in places, but overall it is wonderful. I would go back again and again and highly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank miamia3
Kenwood, California
Reviewed 11 July 2010

My twin and I celebrated our 60th birthday with a 4 night stay, We chose a large, 2-bdrm cabin with sunny deck near the main house and with a great view of Coffee Creek, the pool and spa. We were close to all the activities and had fun deciding how to spend our leisure. There is so much to do, and only interrupted by delicious meals including the extras like outdoor BBQ, lunch on the deck, s'mores, and of course, breakfast after a lovely trail ride. All the staff were friendly and helpful. Bruce and Donny are real wranglers! We enjoyed watching them break-in new horses, clean hooves, and ready the animals for rides. Donny's spurs will forever be a musical memory of a magical place!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Winecntrygal
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 11 July 2010

My sister and I celebrated our 60th birthday and had a memorable time. The ranch could have held 50 people, but in June there were only 4 of us. It didn't matter though because we did everything we wanted to and the staff made sure of it. We played badminton and volleyball, swam in the pool, enjoyed BBQs, roasted marshmellows with the owners grandchildren and played bingo. We went horseback riding, but the breakfast ride was the best and the Coffee Creek pancakes were absolutely delicious. In fact , all the meals were delicious. Our cabin was rustic, but so cozy and had the best view of the pool. We had a special birthday cake and the entire staff sang for us. It was a birthday I won't forget.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
California
Reviewed 24 June 2010

My husband and I had a great time last year with our two small boys, and we plan to go back again this year. It was exciting for us and our 7 year old son to do real riding with us on beautiful horses with wranglers (real cowboys!). Our 3 year old was able to hang out with an adorable counselor and ride the pony while we were out riding. The dude ranch is of course very kid friendly and there are lots of places for kids to explore. The overall feeling is pretty relaxed, with lots of amiable socializing with the owners, wranglers, staff and other guests. Our cabin was great, well located and we were quite comfortable in it. The location is fantastic - beautiful. I think it would be a great setting for a multi-family gathering, like a reunion. There's something for everyone.

Stayed July 2009, travelled with family

Been to Coffee Creek Ranch? Share your experiences!