“Great place for a dude ranch experience!”
Review of Coffee Creek Ranch

Coffee Creek Ranch
Sacramento, California
“Great place for a dude ranch experience!”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

My friend and I chose Coffee Creek Ranch for the horse back riding experience. To our surprise the staff made us feel like part of their family. Ruth and Mark the owners made our stay a wonderful vacation for us. Lee the wrangler took us riding everyday when we requested and had the horses saddled and ready to go. The horses were very good trail horses, and the scenery was awesome! Brian and Liv the chefs made excellent meals and desserts that had us full, more food than we could of asked for. Totally enjoyed the out door bbqs and all the family friendliness!! Brian the chef showed us how to gold pan, which was quite educational. Our cabin had wood brought in every day and was very comfortable. We totally had a wonderful time and would certainly go back!! Thankyou Ruth, Mark and your staff for making us feel so welcomed!

Room Tip: The cabin called "View" was excellent with the view of Coffee Creek. Generators do shut of...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
CoffeeCreekRanch, Owner at Coffee Creek Ranch, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
To Carmen and Carolyn, our moms of the week! Lee, our wrangler had a great time showing you all the trails with the gorgeous views of the Trinity Alps! Liv, our pastry chef, out did herself for scrumpteous desserts all week...and Brian, our head chef, enjoyed teaching you how to pan for gold on Coffee Creek...the Hartman family want to thank you for being our guests.....have a wonderful summer!

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Woodside, California
Reviewed 20 April 2014

My husband, 16 year old son and two border collies just wrapped up a three day, two night vacation here that we all loved. Amazing location, beautiful weather, delicious personalized home cooking with extremely generous portions, caring and friendly staff, lots to do, and really fun cozy and comfortable cabin. We especially enjoyed the twice daily horseback trail rides that were different and equally awe inspiring each time, led by charming Texas cowboy Lee. Some other highlights: learning to pan for gold with Brian, who was also our talented personal chef; an evening bonfire with s'mores, and rambling walks in the woods with the dogs.

This ranch is not for everyone. If you are the type who likes a bland national hotel chain room with nothing out of place, everything in pristine faux luxury condition, and a totally predictable experience, then don't book here. But if you would enjoy an authentic ranch experience delivered by small business owners and their staff who work hard to make you happy, in a beautiful part of CA, I recommend it!

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank BarbJeff
CoffeeCreekRanch, Owner at Coffee Creek Ranch, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
It was a pleasure having your family and your border collies! Brian had fun teaching all of you to gold pan and cook for you. Have a great rest of the year!
Redding, California, United States
Reviewed 20 January 2014

My brother and I were driving into the Trinity Alps to go hiking; however, our vehicle broke down 12 miles out on an icy road and, after a harrowing trip back, we arrived at Coffee Creek Ranch to ask for help.

Ruth and Mark were amazing! They not only let us use their phone but they also invited us into their home, offered us food and drinks, and sat with us for the next four hours while we waited for a tow - entertaining us with their life stories and interesting facts about the Trinities. We immensely enjoyed their company and hospitality, the ranch and surrounding area, and look forward to visiting them again. The location is ideal for people who love the outdoors and being secluded. It's a breathtaking place to visit.

Thank you both! You made our day an adventure to remember.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Rebekah N
CoffeeCreekRanch, Owner at Coffee Creek Ranch, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
It was our pleasure to keep you warm while you waited for the tow truck. Please stop by when you go hiking again and check out our trail report posted by the office and say hello. God Bless.
Lodi, California
Reviewed 19 October 2013

What a fantastic time I had at Coffee Creek Ranch. As a woman traveling alone, I was a little apprehensive about my trip, but the the hosts, Ruth and Mark, took me in and treated me like family. I always felt safe and cared for, but was given all opportunity to be alone when I wanted.

I chose the ranch mainly for its horseback riding and location, and was completely impressed with both. The cabins were cozy and warm and the fall colors as seen from horseback were spectacular. The horses were in excellent shape, well trained, and responsive. The main wrangler, Jimmy, assessed my riding ability and took me out for rides that were increasingly more advanced. After a week of riding, I felt like a confident rider again. Thanks Jimmy!

Although riding was my main reason for going to CCR, the food was wonderful too. I enjoyed Ruth's homemade soups and breads with main courses as varied as chicken enchiladas to pan seared fresh salmon to melt in your mouth steaks. Ruth even taught me how to make her special rye bread, yummy! Needless to say, I was never hungry and was glad for the opportunities to work off Ruth's great cooking by riding daily and jogging in the mornings. I would recommend anyone from families to singles to go to Coffee Creek Ranch for a memorable unique vacation.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank 46JdL
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Our purpose for travel to Coffee Creek ranch was for a nice couple's retreat. The ranch offered a great couple's package that was affordable for us (otherwise we would not have been able to afford it, especially as we were traveling internationally). We were nearly unable to make our reservation due to problems with renting a car. I told the owner Ruth about it over the phone and she was very helpful in avoiding a cancellation - she and her husband picked us up *two hours* away at the Redding airport at no extra cost to us (we just had to pay for a flight to Redding, which we did directly through the airport).

Our room was great - Ruth gave us an awesome American themed cabin that my non-American partner really loved. We had a cabin to ourselves and it had lots of space and a gorgeous fireplace which we used every night we were there (they supplied the firewood). Linens, towels, night light/flashlight and soap were included, and we had electricity from about 8am-11pm. The wifi access was suitable for sending/receiving emails in the dining hall, but I definitely would have liked more wifi access and to further spots on the ranch (but for some people this "unplugging" from the internet is something they seek with the seclusion of this ranch). It is important to note that there is *no cell phone service* either.
During our visit- October - it seems to be closer to the end of the season, so there aren't as many people. Also due to the weather, this means that the riding schedules weren't as announced on the website. Riding was offered once a day while we were there.

Things to bring: warm jackets and long pants for the cold nights or horseback riding. October nights were cold so dress really, really warmly! Waterproof jacket (rained while we were there) Maybe a hair dryer. And books to read as you cuddle by the fireplace.

Bottom line:
The food was amazing, the horses were fun, and the scenery was perfect. We would definitely go back.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Beth453
CoffeeCreekRanch, Owner at Coffee Creek Ranch, responded to this review, 20 October 2013
It was our pleasure to make the trip to the Redding Airport to pick you up as you had planned for so long and from so far away in Germany to come stay with us. We are working on the WiFi to make it better and hopefully the satellite companies will provide more access in the future. Since there is no cell service being here in the wilderness area...we do offer our land line for our guests to use. Thank you for being our guests and we trust you made it home safely with lots of memories to last till next time! Ruth and Mark Hartman
Paradise, California
Reviewed 26 September 2013

What an awesome experience. This ranch was exceptional with cozy warm cabins and the hosts Ruth and Mark made us feel right at home. The food was totally gourmet with all the trimmings, Sunday hayrides, clear crystal water running creek with gold panning lessons. I got four flakes. The horsebacking riding trails were absolutely spectacular with pristine beauty abound. Family with Grandma and Grandpa. Activities for the entire family even an art studio to play Picasso with your child. This is a vacation of a lifetime. We will never forget this place and want to come back. We also received, the Make a Wish Gift for 1 week for my orphaned nephew. He was a different child getting him off the video games of computer. Very healing for him and us all. God bless you all at Coffee Creek Ranch for making our stay a forever dream. Julie Z

Room Tip: Choose the bear room near the waterfall
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank akaWooly
We had no official request from Make a Wish Foundation so we were happy to grant a week to your nephew. He seemed to be a different boy when he left and ready to venture out more with the horses while he was here. Horses are great healers and seem to know when we are hurting. Enjoy your family in the coming year.
Paradise
Reviewed 11 September 2013

I am a Grandmother, raising my 10 yr. old Grandson. Our family looked for a special place to enjoy for our 10 day alotted vacation. Well we found it!! We thoroughly enjoyed everyday at Coffee Creek Ranch. A magical location next to nature at its best! Swimming, resting,hiking, hay rides, along with the glorious meals served either in the dining-room or out on the grounds. A bar-b-que steak dinner and Sunday special of turkey and all the trimmings. You won't go hungry here. I enjoyed reading and relaxing and watching my Grandson enjoy all the kids activities each day. I was designated "Miner 49er" at an evening dinner event. Gold panning was my fun activity by the running clear creek under the bridge at the lodge. The crew was accommodating with any requests. Coffee/tea was always available...Jimmy Jr. keeps asking
"Grandma, when can we go back?!" He especially enjoyed the daily horseback rides with meals on the trail.. We had stayed at a PREVIOUS Ranch afew month prior and disliked the room set-up. Tiny rooms, tub or shower down the hall, and noise from other guests. Our Coffee Creek cabin was like a small house. I had the master bdrm. with a couch, full bath, and actually 3 full rooms and large porch. Couldn't ask for more space and also laundry facilities which meant we did not need to bring to much in the way of clothing.. Ruth and Mark were extremely wonderful host and hostess. The history of their life there was remarkable and we loved getting to know them. Go enjoy... we did!!! Grandma Joyce, Grandpa Ed, Auntie Julie, Jimmy Jr., Rich, and PEBBLES the DOG.....

Room Tip: Look at the map and find a location that suits you.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Joyce P

Been to Coffee Creek Ranch? Share your experiences!