“Perfect for the basics”

Boreal Mountain Resort
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Truckee
Boreal Mountain Resort
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Truckee
San Francisco, California
“Perfect for the basics”
Reviewed 9 June 2011

We come here every year. It's perfect for what it is. We drive up on Friday night and its the first resort on the 80. Its old but clean. There is a basic breakfast of cereal, muffins, bagels, coffee, juice in the morning included. When we have gone it was always pretty quiet. We snowboard at Boreal for the day. We go back to lodge clean up and go to dinner in Truckee. We love it. Its perfect for a weekend trip.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Roosmie

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
El Dorado Hills, California
Reviewed 15 January 2011

It was great that this inn is as close as it is to the ski resort. The young guy at the reception on the night we checked in was very pleasant and helpful. The room was big enough although it still looked outdated despite the recent renovation they advertise about. I will not stay here again nor would I recommend this place to my friends.I WOULD NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN NOR WOULD I RECOMMEND THIS &PLACE TO MY FRIENDS, THOUGH, ESP MY NONCAUCASIAN FRIENDS.  On the morning of check out, I tried to get some milk for my coffee from what's left of their continental breakfast spread. I was told by the lady at the desk that breakfast was over and that milk was not available anymore (despite the fact that I was already ready to pour it into my cup). She literally came up to my face to say this. I was so dumbfounded by this rudeness. As I was waiting for my friend by the door, A group of Caucasian guests did the same thing I did but they were treated differently. The lady even helped them.the whole scenario was bizarre to me.  Now I'm not naive to think that all of society have grown to be decent human beings these days, that's a tall order. Discrimination hurts so deeply no excuse of norms or reminder of reality could soften the blow. But our society should qbe better than this.  We are not the backwards bigots that some of our ancestors were. Boreal management should look into re-educating some of their staff.

• Stayed January 2011
31 Thank Janis10

Travellers are raving about these Truckee hotels

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 14 November 2009

Boreal Inn is just 5 min walking distance to the ski area and it's so conviniente to stay there after long day on the slopes. The place is little outdated but rooms are big and warm. Staff is nice and frendly. Continental breakfast is decent. we are planing on going soon, just waiting for snow. Our kids had great time just playing on the snow last time we stayed there. Let it snow...

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank mayfl0wer
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 31 March 2008

This is a two star hotel folks. For starters, consider the clientele. People who stay at the Boreal Inn are snowboarders and skiers. Mostly 20 somethings who want to ride and then party, and 30 somethings who bring their kids for a ski/snowboard experience. It's almost always snowy and muddy so YES, the floors are gonna be dirty as everyone tromps in and out of their rooms with snowboard boots or after ski boots on.

This was my second stay here and I'll probably stay again. Here's what was important to me. The Boreal Inn was the closest AND most affordable lodging to ANY ski lifts in the area. I like being right by the mountain and don't want to drive 5 to 10 miles from Truckee (depending on which resort you decide to ride) when it's time to hit the slopes.

Our room was quiet and warm. The mattress was soft so if you need a stiff bed you might be disappointed. As advertised, the rooms are spacious. Plenty of room for numerous bags and equipment to be scattered about. Only gripe is that the halls are noisy. I could not hear my neighbors to the left or right of me, but I could hear anything going on in the hallway, including a dog fight between two irresponsible dog owners who both thought their dogs were too good for leashes.

Overall, a decent experience. A place to crash very close to the slopes.

• Liked — Only a quater mile from Boreal Ski Resort
  • Disliked — The bed was too soft for me.
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank riverseine
San Francisco
Reviewed 28 January 2008

I knew going in we'd have to travel for decent food. But I didn't expect dIrty room, no consideration for kids and tons of attitude. Biggest complaint is service. I asked to fix a clogged sink 1/2 hour after we arrived. Was told I could move (9:30pm -with young tired kids almost asleep - right) or wait until maintenance came the next morning. Well they never came. Kids brushing their teeth in a dirty water basin. Upon check-out I pointed it out and was chastized for not following up like it was MY responsibility to hawk their staff. I tried Boreal because of the kids access to the mountain. NEVER AGAIN! Next time I am exercizing my dollar vote! I'll bite the bullit and take them to Squaw or Northstar. Maybe more expensive but definitely a better and cleaner call than this dump.

• Liked — Proximity to mountain
  • Disliked — Everything from cleanliness, service, attitude.
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
3 Thank outdoorhound
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 22 February 2006

Boreal has to be one of the worse resorts in the states. During a rest break, we timed one of the shorter lines, and watching one specific person it took over thirty minutes for this guy to get from the end of the lift line until he reached the top of the run. This was for a green bunny-hill that would take an average rider 20-30 seconds (max) to get down. In addition, the longer runs at the top of the mountain require you to do some serious hiking to get to the good parts, so you are more or less exhausted by the time you start riding. We got so sick of waiting in the lines that we ended up hiking up the smaller hills to save time. You could literally get 5-6 runs in walking up to the top in the time it takes you to get to the front of one lift line.

Did I mention the lodge is poorly maintained and looks like those ice-skating rinks you hung out at when you were in your teens? The staff is clueless and extremely rude, and the entire place has a poor layout that seems designed to create crowds. And to top everything off, despite it being a holiday weekend and the place being absolutely packed, they had three(!) lifts closed. If you're considering going here because of how close/cheap/late it is open, scratch that idea right now. Drive the extra 15-20 miles and spend another 10 dollars to go to Squaw or Sierra-at-Tahoe. Again, having visited resorts all over Utah, California, and much of the East coast, I can honestly say Boreal is quite possibly the worst ski resort in the US.

• Stayed February 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 17 December 2003

The Boreal Inn is not the place to stay if you are looking for a nice hot tub or even a super clean room. The only reason to stay there is that you can litterally walk over to the slopes in th at Boreal. So, for all you college students who will probably pack 8 people in a room anyway, it is the cheap, easy way to go. (Bring your own food.)

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Truckee
Best Western Plus Truckee-Tahoe Hotel
#10 of 13 in Truckee
Truckee Donner Lodge
Truckee Donner Lodge
#7 of 13 in Truckee

Been to Boreal Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!