“Wonderful wedding site!”

Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Truckee
chico
“Wonderful wedding site!”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We held our daughters wedding here in November 2013 and it was fabulous. The facilities and staff are accommodating, friendly and the site is gorgeous! The dinner served in the Ritz Ballroom was delicious and each person at each table was served at the same time by white gloved waiters. Many guests commented on the comfort of the rooms, the fabulous spa and the excellent dining room. Overall I give the hotel very high marks on pulling off a large, complex event in a seemingly effortless manner! Our contact person at the hotel, Blanche Tabe, was extremely helpful as was our wedding planner Shannon Morse.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
San Jose, California
Reviewed 15 November 2013

One of the best traveling experiences ever. Ritz Carlton is known for great facilities and service but they exceeded our expectations. Although this is a fairly large resort with top notch amenities, it was the personal touch of the staff that set this trip above and beyond other trips. Here's a few examples: The general manager, Joseph, was stopping by for coffee at the cafe and greeted my family to insure we were well taken care of. He stepped away for a few minutes and returned with a small teddy bear gift for my 18 mo. son. It wouldn't be the only time Joseph said 'hello' and I was amazed how he'd stop conversations with his staff to check if we were doing ok. This example seemed to resonate with others from the valet, Luke (who greeted us by name every time I drove up and insured we had fresh bottles of water in our cup holders when we took our car out) to Dr. Marsh and the friendly concierges running the Smores campfire event. The hospitality expressed by all felt genuine and sincere. We've traveled to many 5-star vacation spots and it's rare to feel this level of connection with the staff. The entire experience inspired us to plan the next opportunity to visit.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Truckee, California
Reviewed 13 November 2013

We have been touring California and wanted to visit on our trip Lake Tahoe. We booked the ritz Carlton, Lake Tahoe and our biggest disappointment when arriving there after a 5 hours drive the hotel is NOT located at the lake. While booking this hotel you should be informed that this is a place out in the nowhere and not at the lake, especially if you are not familiar with the area and coming from overseas. Wish we would have known in advance - but then we had no chance then to stay !

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Inga P
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Ritz Tahoe is the best hotel that I have stayed at in a long time. The staff is top notch with out being intrusive. Once you arrive at the resort, there is no need to leave. From hiking trails to delicious fruit and herb infused water, they have everything covered. This place is one in a million, please stay here!

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet and perfect!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank karigirlfriend
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 11 November 2013

This resort is one of a kind! I can't believe I had the opportunity to stay here. The spa was fabulous and I could have stayed there all day. The ability to relax outdoors was great as well as the indoor relaxation area. The pool is one of the best in the world. Having been there in July, I was able to enjoy a relaxing afternoon sipping cocktails while viewing mountain bikers come down the mountain. Fantastic outdoor space with fireplaces for making s'mores and could hop right on the mountain or take the gondola down to the village. A bit of a trip down to the lake, but a great property with ski in/ski out options. The staff was all very wonderful and I really enjoyed my stay there! Loved that I had a fireplace in the room to cozy up to!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Ritz Tahoe had undoubtedly the best service of any of the many Ritz we have been to. The staff were not only courteous, they were proactive in service. Trying to meet your needs before you know you need them. Top notch all around. They were even nice to a lady wearing a cat sweater and pushing a giant cat around in a stroller. The hotel was nice. The setting was not bad. The food was good. The weather was beautiful. I highly recommend experiencing Ritz Tahoe if you haven't.

Room Tip: Though we prefer to not be near an elevator, we were all the way at the end of the hallway, and it w...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Orphankids
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Location of the hotel is pretty remote, something I, but mostly probably not all visitors, can appreciate. The obligation to use the $35 per day valet parking is absurd considering the location of the hotel; free parking is simply not possible!

Planned to stay four nights that I prepaid in full to get a very good (non cancellable) rate. On my way from San Francisco to Truckee I got informed I had to leave the hotel after the first night's stay due to a family emergency. Upon check-in I informed front desk staff, who without any hesitation cancelled the rest of my stay and refunded the excess amount prepaid. Upon return from dinner later that night two bottles of beer on ice had been delivered to my room with an encouraging message. I have no words to express my appreciation for this level of service and sensitivity.

The one king bedroom suite with mountain view I received was wonderful: spacious, comfortable and (as requested) very quiet indeed. As you should indeed be able to expect from a Ritz Carlton room. As I suspect September to be off season (certainly on week days), the hotel was very quiet, which I very much enjoyed. Wifi comes with the room, which I would expect for a room at this rate.

However I was very, very dissapointed that (being on 4th floor) the "mountain view" consisted basically of a view of the pool/terrace area of the hotel with tall trees covering the mountains (see attached pictures).. So it was exactly the view I did NOT would have wanted for my stay; I had been looking forward to an undisturbed view of some mountains. I would actually advice valley view rooms, these also are way lower priced!

Further the bathroom was perfect, however the cover of the light switch fell of when I operated it. To conclude the complaints are of this review: the bed wasn't the best I slept in, definitely in hotels of this (price) level. Too soft, sheets not fully tugged in (slipping loose during the night). Should be improved.

I did not have dinner in the posh restaurant, but had a burger in the bar restaurant. The burger was more than adequate and tasty. The waiter was being very warm and personal even trying to speak my language when he thought he (correctly so) recognized me as a Dutchman.

Their lobby area with fireplaces is absolutely wonderfull to relax......if the hotel is quiet. During peak season I can imagine the place to be full and noisy with people fighting for the armchairs near the fire. That wasn't the case now and I had ample rest to finish my book and relax given my family circumstances.

Rushed out in the morning without having had any breakfast or having seen the Spa area.

Would I return here: definitely! Would I take a mountain view suite: I don't think so!

Room Tip: Really think twice about paying for "mountain view". It rather is pool/terrace/tree view...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank MKnops
Also consider these accommodations in or near Truckee
Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.
Grand Residences by Marriott, Ta...
#9 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
#1 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
Squaw Valley Lodge
Squaw Valley Lodge
#5 of 5 in Olympic Valley

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe? Share your experiences!