“Kids amenities, service and location make this place a gem!”

The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Truckee
SF Bay Area, California
“Kids amenities, service and location make this place a gem!”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I remembered seeing this hotel the last time we visited Northstar and thought, wow, this direct access to the lifts and the perfect location right on the slopes really can't be beat. So, when it was time again to find the right accommodations for our Tahoe trip, Ritz-Carlton was the first place I looked into! And it did not disappoint one bit. It was December, the hotel was beautifully decorated for the holidays, and the entire lodge level was decked with fresh pines and festive decor. We wanted to stay somewhere that allowed dogs but didn't compromise on the quality and cleanliness of the rooms just because dogs were welcomed-- I usually hate that about dog-friendly hotels, you smell it as soon as you walk in. Well, not the Ritz, thankfully, and your dog will absolutely be pampered well and greeted everywhere he walks!

We (my husband and I, my 5 year old and our pug) received an immediate room upgrade upon arrival and were given a verbal summary of all the kids activities. My son enjoyed the bear hunt, Santa pictures/chat (with no lines, in front of a gorgeous tree and fireplace), gingerbread house building, and of course, the famous marshmallow roasting evenings!! The ambience outside during the marshmallow hour was purely wonderful-- parents sipped on wine, dogs relaxed by the fireplaces, children enjoyed the smores, as we all watched the sunset.

Now, the location! One beautifully scenic onsite lift ride takes you to the Northstar Village where shops, restaurants and ice skating await. Slopes are just a few steps away from the hotel and everything is taken care of for you! For me personally, the convenience justifies the premium you pay for this hotel.

The spa was great. I enjoyed my massage immensely and thought the amenities were sufficient. The resort restaurants were fine, service was wonderful, food was decent, but the view and setting stood out!

I just booked a 3 night stay again-- I will absolutely be a repeat patron here! It's a great family hotel!

Room Tip: Slope/mountain view is gorgeous-- worth the upgrade.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank sklo2004

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
Boston
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We spent three days with my daughter during spring break and enjoyed the luxury and comfort of this property. The service is impeccable,wether for skis or at their restaurant. The loby is welcoming, and the musical duo saturday night was very talented and kept us singing along past midnight. While my daughters were sking i was exploring Tahoe thanks to the expert recommendations of the hotel concierge. A car is required but the scenery is breathtaking. After a day outdoor the hotel spa is an oasis of serenity . Nice plus , Smores time, around the open fire , delicious flavored marshmallows that guests can roast and eat ! The rooms are spacious, well apointed but the beds too soft for my taste . An expensive getaway but totally worth it.Everyone goes the extra mile to make your stay really unforgettable

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

I know this may sound rather corny... but our time at Northstar over the past few years has allowed us to secure about a billion memories together! And although nothing can possibly ever make this dad a better skier (somehow, I seem to get worse as the years go on) I have become a better father by having this precious & privileged secluded family time of laughter & love with our 3 kids & my beautiful wife. To say we treasure our stay with you is a complete & utter understatement. Your entire staff makes us feel like royalty. One person is better than the next. From Kyle's welcoming smile to Katie H's genuine warmness each & every time she wishes us a goodnight, we never feel like we are away from home-- only the cookies are better at your place. A special thanks to Jessica for always being so patient, kind & accommodating regardless of how "tardy" we are in making our vacation plans. If you'll have us, we know exactly where we will be at each & every Spring until further notice!!

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank rshindler1119
Sonoma, CA
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Wow!!! Beautiful! I was here for a work function and didn't get to play within the resort due to time restraints. The room was very nice. Others raved about the beds but I found them too soft. Fireplace was a nice touch as was the huge bathtub. It would have been nice to have bath salts or bubble bath available. I got turn down service one night but not the other. I appreciated all of the bottles of water in the room and the water in the "living room" as the altitude really dried me out. The 6:30 am wake up by the snow plow was not really appreciated but they need to so it sometime.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank lovingsonoma
New York
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We just stayed at the
Ritz in Lake Tahoe and it was spectacular. The lobby has a wow factor I have never seen in other luxury mountain resorts. The rooms a beautiful and very spacious. The outdoor areas and the spa are at the same level as well. Its not a cheap hotel, but you get what you pay. 5 stars all around. The thing I was impressed the most was the service since the moment you arrive they treat you like you are the only person in the hotel. Special thanks to Mike the bellman and to the guys at the "mountain concierge". The service provided was great. My only complain (and irrelevant compared to how satisified I am with the whole experience) was the service at the restaurant during breakfast. I strongly recommend this resort and I will definitely be back.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank RICNewYork
Chandler, Arizona
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

The Ritz in Tahoe is absolutely stunning. Service beyond compare! The views are spectacular regardless of which side you are on. We were there for a corporate meeting and the facilities and catering staff were top notch. The guest rooms are amazing. Each night you sunk right into your bed. Extra touches like marshmallow alogy was also fun. I highly recommend the Manzanita restaurant. Great food!! If you are going to Tahoe this is a must stay.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Leslie O
San Juan, PR
Reviewed 8 March 2014

We enjoyed our stay here for a ski trip. The rooms are nice, spacious enough, and clean. The ski in and out location on the mountain is really good. All of the staff on the property are very nice. The mountain concierge is great, as is the equipment rental staff. We really liked the fireplace in the room and the fact that you can open a window/door if you need a little fresh air in the heated room.

The only cons were that the wifi did not work and the lack of vegetarian food options. We also wish there was a co-ed sauna to hang out in the heat as a couple.

The spa is nice and it is great that they let hotel guests use the facility without booking spa services. But you should! We both had really great massages. Also expensive but worth it. Good details like keeping your robe on a heated bar for post massage.

I really like that they leave water bottles in your room daily and there are bottles around the property to keep you hydrated. Yummy chocolates at turn down, too.

If you stay here without a car, you are pretty much stuck. It is $35 one way to go to Truckee or the lake. We used Truckee Taxi to and from the airport, they were great ($135 one way). To eat outside the hotel, you can take the gondola to Northstar village for a couple of options (find the hidden Mexican place, is food).

We wanted to spurge to be really comfortable on our ski trip. This property delivered on the Ritz experience.

Room Tip: The hallways are long. We didn't mind but if you don't like a long walk, don't ask for f...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank WesleyElizabeth
Also consider these accommodations in or near Truckee
Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.
Grand Residences by Marriott, Ta...
#9 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
#1 of 9 in Stateline
Deerfield Lodge at Heavenly
Deerfield Lodge at Heavenly
#1 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe? Share your experiences!