“Not what I expected!”

The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Truckee
Reviewed 18 July 2014

My husband and I were very disappointed with our stay here. This is quite a drive from Tahoe City and the lake. Staff on the desk were helpful, but waited 1/2 hour for our cases to be brought to our room. Air conditioning in the room was noisy, which did not aid sleep.
Why do they need to have valet parking, can understand that charges should apply in the middle of a city, but there was nothing else around the hotel. Would definitely not stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Julia B
Ritz-Carlton_DOSM, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Good day Julia,

Thank you for taking your time to leave your feedback about our resort. I sincerely apologize for you and your husband’s disappointing experience on your recent visit to our resort. Your feedback is extremely important to me. If you would like for discuss your stay in more detail, I may be reached directly at the resort by calling 530-562-3000. I look forward to hearing from you at your convenience.

Joseph Mattioli, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,018)

Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and three boys visited last weekend and this place ruined other hotels for us. Everyone we encountered was so focused on taking care of every need, wish and whim-we did not want to leave. Upgrade to the Club level, it is surely worth every penny. The rooms have spectacular views-try to get a balcony!

Hope to be back soon,

Martin Greenwood

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank mg87
Reviewed 17 July 2014

My husband and I just returned from a long weekend @ the Ritz, Lake Tahoe and we fell in love with the property. From the minute you step out of your car the true Ritz service welcomes you. We stayed on club level excellent service and the quality of food was wonderful.
Dinner at Manzanita was also great. We were pretty full at the end of dinner but did wanted to have some desert so the waitier was kind enough to deliver it to our room, now that is great service.

We will be back!!!

Room Tip: Club Level facing mountains
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Cheryl E
Reviewed 13 July 2014

The Ritz is so-called 'dog friendly' - that means all dogs welcomed not just service dogs. This is great if you have a dog - not so good if you want a good night's sleep. We were woken up 3 consecutive nights @ 4 am by barking dogs across the hall; not good. The staff sent a plates of chocolates - after we complained - not exactly what we needed; A good bottle of red wine and some sleeping pills would have been more helpful!!

The staff endeavors to try hard but the place although called 'The Ritz' didn't come across as 'special in any way. The decor was ho-hum (the hall rugs were dull & mid-market). Bring your own snacks. There is a shop - but it was closed the entire time we were there. There are no local stores nearby and the mini-fridge was empty. To eat anything you had to sit for a meal....not cry convenient.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank knitbeast
Ritz-Carlton_DOSM, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Good day,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us feedback regarding your recent stay at our resort. I deeply regret that your stay with us did not meet your expectations and our standards of excellence.

Your comfort and well-being is of utmost importance to me, and if you would like to discuss your visit or any concerns in more detail, please contact me at the resort by calling 530-562-3000 and I would be delighted to speak with you further. Please let me know the next time you visit our resort, as I would enjoy the opportunity to welcome you back in person.

Joseph Mattioli, General Manager

Reviewed 11 July 2014

The hotel and the surrounding area specialize in accomodating skiers. I was there in late June to hike. I found Tahoe to be an excellent hiking area, and I loved my stay at the hotel. Nearby Truckee is a charming town with some good restaurants.

The best feature is the service. From the valet parking, to reception, to wait staff at dining, to the impeccable room service, everything is done to anticipate your needs and make you feel welcome. I was particularly pleased to find a fellow hiking enthusiast on the staff who spent over half an hour describing and recommending trails in the Tahoe area.

Modern, comfortable room and hotel ambience are what you'd expect for a 5-star hotel - comfortable, relaxing and easy on the eyes.

The only suggestion I have is an improvement in the restaurant menu. There should be more Mediterranean-style options to the traditional heart-attack breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a mountain-view room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank WenigerGottquatsch
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

Besides the food in the living room which was very low quality, I mean we could not eat it...everything was amazing!!

Ski valet, mountain concierge, the slopes, the front desk attendant, the gentleman that valet the cars and the individuals that drive the house cars, the spa -- every single thing was pleasant. I absolutely did not want to leave!

I definitely recommend this spot for incredibly convenient access to the slopes and a fun-filled visit to Lake Tahoe.

Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Julesypie
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We loved This place. We spent our anniversary here, and were spoiled! A beautiful hotel that is like a hidden treasure. Staff were friendly. The room was comfortable.
In the late afternoon they have a cart with everything for Smores. The marshmallows are homemade and absolutely delicious.

They have fire pits, and walking paths. A great place for couples to relax.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Anne P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Truckee
Resort at Squaw Creek
Resort at Squaw Creek
#2 of 5 in Olympic Valley
Northstar Lodge by Welk Resorts
Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.
Grand Residences by Marriott, Ta...
#8 of 65 in South Lake Tahoe
Constellation Residences at Northstar
Marriott's Timber Lodge
Marriott's Timber Lodge
#9 of 65 in South Lake Tahoe

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe? Share your experiences!