“Heaven in the Mountains”

The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Truckee
Manlius, New York
“Heaven in the Mountains”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My wife and I stayed here while attending a family wedding at Incline Village (approximately 25 minutes away). This hotel is incredible. I relied heavily on the hotel concierge prior to our arrival. Bernie arranged our rides to and from the hotel, dinner reservations and dry cleaning. Valet service was friendly and fast ($35/day for parking). Room was beautiful. Nice size room with a fireplace. Bathroom had plush towels and well stocked toiletries. Great shower and huge soaking tub. Beautiful views of the surrounding mountains. Pool bar was a great spot to relax. Staff (Adam, Brian and Sara) was very friendly and fun to sit and talk to. Amazing firepits dot the grounds, with lots of folks making smores each night. Pool is a very nice size with plenty of chairs for sitting and sunbathing.
Be aware there is a $25/day resort fee.
Again, this place is incredible. Great place for a romantic getaway or just a getaway from the rat race.
I HIGHLY recommend this hotel.
One more tip - if you need a car service for the weekend, I recommend Trevor (I believe the company name was Independence Taxi. He has a nice size Toyota SUV) I left my cell in the car and Trevor went out of his was to get it back to me ASAP. His number is 530-210-6041. We used him all weekend and he was great.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank syrsteel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

We've just come back from a road trip in California and stayed here for 2 nights,first of all 2 nights is not enough it really is a fantastic hotel with fantastic staff in an absolutely wonderful location.We hadn't booked so just turned up and they were so accommodating and friendly showing us the different rooms they had available even after we said yes to one room when we came back in he had found us a better room on a higher floor,now I know it's what you expect from a Ritz and we tend to stay at a ritz if there's one there but this place is ace if your going to Lake Tahoe stay here,end of.

karlhaddad
Reviewed 3 August 2014

When flying 16hrs and then driving 3hrs from the connecting airport, SFO, your body aches for the perfect home away from home. And thats just what it was.

Starting with the exceptional concierge staff who even got my wrinkled suit pressed on the house to the rustic elegance of an oversized 7 storey 'wooden cabin' feel hotel with a massive central chimney, from the moment you arrive, you thank God. U know this place was worth the journey.

We came for my cousins wedding. The setting between the tall alpine trees, sunset shimmering behind the married duet, the essence of class and old school charm evoke within you a sense of lustre from days gone past.

Summer months, within the hotels vicinity, are great hikes, refreshing lakes to cool off in, mountain biking rentals and body armour as well as just a 10min hike or 5min cable car ride down to the northstar resort which is in itself a self contained family entertainment zone from roller skating (iceskating in winter), to anything outdoorsie.

Enjoy. Not cheap, but certainly worth it if its within your budget.

Room Tip: U cant go wrong with either a courtyard/pool view or the panoramic mountain views. Just make sure u...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank karlhaddad78
Woodinville, Washington
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I had been road tripping for a few days, putting on quite a lot of miles on my new ride, and decided I needed a break. Stopped at the Ritz in Truckee (Lake Tahoe) and was quite impressed. I'm not big on double bed rooms so asked for a king. They put me on the club level (flr 5) and I was happy with the room/view. I see that everyone writes on here to get the mountainside view but to be honest, I liked my valley view. The room itself is not overly impressive but it's cosy/comfortable which is fine by me.

I ate at Manzanita for dinner both nights opting to sit at the bar in the giant circular fireplace room on the second floor. I had the sea bass and salmon. Both were good. The bartender (Brad I think, I'm terrible with names, who is awesome though!) suggested the sautéed cauliflower side dish, good call. During the day I ate at outside at the BBQ place by the pool. Enjoyed a ginormous veggie burger there with good side dishes. Food is decent, no complaints.

I opted for an 80 minute "Organic" massage. The masseuses name was Snow. One word for her - Awesome. I gauge how good the massage is by how many times I fall asleep (lol). Pretty sure it was 3 or 4 times with her working my body. She has great technique with the right pressure. Highly recommend her.

During the day I hung out at the pool. They are pretty good on checking up on you and making sure you have what you need. I have one, tiny qualm though. It took a while to get drinks. It seemed like there was only one gal working the pool area and she was pretty busy. To me, they could gauge the busyness of the pool and add more servers as needed. I did notice more servers starting to show up later in the day though.

Final thoughts are that they are great at customer service. I had folks greet me and talk to me passing through the lobby area after I had spoken with them earlier. They would bring up previous conversations or ask how I was doing etc. I liked the personalization of the service, very friendly. Bonus tip for parents with kids, this is well-suited for your young ones. Lots of activities and kid-friendly things to do.

Room Tip: Try the valley view!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Great location to explore the Lake Tahoe/Reno/Sparks Region. Hotel staff could not be more accommodating ! Shout out to Keenan at the front desk ! Late Checkout was much appreciated. Family took the nature walk with staff to a close lake (90 min) which was fun, informative and got our appetites going for a good breakfast.

Pleasanton, California
Reviewed 31 July 2014

best service and great food option - we are on gluten free diet and this place is haven - everything can be gluten free I mean everything!! only one time we had accident at pool, we order food with gluten free bun and came with non gluten free even I was make sure 3 times with server
great room - roomy, comfy bed, really can't go wrong with ritz room
have gondola to norstar village which was nice and entertaining for kids
spa was amazing
staff was so great
there is really nothing to complain about!!
wish we can go back on winter - you can do ski in and out from property
gorgeous place with amazing service!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Marcellus, New York
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed our brief stay at this property. The room, the grounds, all common areas we saw were well maintained and very clean. We did have a slight issue at the pool, where we found a cup from someone's beverage at the bottom of the large swimming pool (probably there from the prior evening since we were the first guests to use the pool that morning). Otherwise our stay was very comfortable and relaxing.

The staff was impressive, which is likely to be expected at this type of property but certainly isn't the norm at the places we more typically frequent. They were gracious and welcoming without being obsequious.

On the down side, we were surprised by the fact that the property is 100% valet (I was not told this when I made my reservation by phone), with the fee running just slightly less than one would expect to pay in NY or Boston - keep in mind that this is nearly the middle of nowhere, up on a mountain in the middle of the woods near Lake Tahoe. Valet is a reasonable option, but requiring it was quite unexpected. Between the valet cost, resort fee, and taxes, the basic rooms become significantly more expensive than the base rate found online would suggest. This is obviously not a concern for those who regularly frequent 4/5 star resorts, but something for anyone considering splurging (ie: those of us on a more limited budget) to be aware of.

The entire family agreed, though, that we would stay again given the opportunity.

2 Thank GracieCNY
Also consider these accommodations in or near Truckee
Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.
Grand Residences by Marriott, Ta...
#10 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
Deerfield Lodge at Heavenly
Deerfield Lodge at Heavenly
#1 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
Northstar Lodge by Welk Resorts

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe? Share your experiences!