“Rejuvenating day at the spa”

The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Truckee
San Rafael
“Rejuvenating day at the spa”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

From the moment I entered the hotel grounds I felt impressed by the beauty and welcoming spirit of this hotel. From valet parking to an inviting and comfortable lobby to the tastefully contemporary spa, I thoroughly enjoyed my day. My massage was so relaxing and rejuvenating and the spa jacuzzi, sauna and steam room are marvelous. No detail is ignored and I felt very well cared for. I also had the signature manicure which was delightful. The overall environment is friendly and unpretentious. Enjoy!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
Sunnyvale, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Just returned from a two night stay, which was one day shorter due to rain. Go figure that it would rain all day and be in the 50's in August.

We got there on a Sunday and weather was great. Got there around 3PM, valet and bell service no issues, and the room was ready. We played with the kids a little in the "Backyard" and then they had free s'mores making at the large fire pit for the kids. Monday was a whole different story. Rain all day and most everyone just hung out in the lobby or their rooms. The arcade did get kind of crowded at times.

Enough about the weather, the hotel location is great. You can just go outside and be right in the middle of the mountain for hiking and downhill mountain biking. Service is great too. Since we were in our room most of the day, we turned down maid service and said we didn't need it. When we were at dinner, they ended up cleaning the room during turn down service anyway. Food service in the lobby where they brought the "Backyard BBQ" indoors because of the rain and the "Living Room" for dinner was excellent as well. I never heard any staff member say "No" no matter how complicated our requests were.

We got our kids the indoor camp out package, which I thought was well worth it. A small tent was set up in the room for each kid with bedding in it and with a stuffed bear, small lantern, coloring book, crayons, and a s'mores kit for each kid to take home. One of our lanterns ended up breaking and Dustin at the front desk went out of his way to get my son a replacement one as we were about to check out.

The only thing that kind of bothers me a little is the 35 dollar valet parking fee. I understand in the winter time when it is snowing, 35 dollars is a good price especially since the car is in a heated garage. Just seems that in the summer time, the fee is a little excessive.

Anyway, it was great to discover everything that this hotel had to offer and the great staff they have there. I for sure will be back and am already planning all the activities we can do next time.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank sbndogg
Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We treated ourselves to a night at the Ritz while we were in the Reno area and it did not disappoint. Every staff member was terrific - service was over the top. The hotel was gorgeous, the view was spectacular, and the room was great. They even had S'mores in the evening at the fire pit - yum! We ate at the Backyard BBQ - ribs were great. Not enough adjectives to describe our experience - we are so glad we splurged.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 5th floor with a valley view, but I'm sure the mountain view was just as good.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Karen R
Manlius, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

My wife and I stayed here while attending a family wedding at Incline Village (approximately 25 minutes away). This hotel is incredible. I relied heavily on the hotel concierge prior to our arrival. Bernie arranged our rides to and from the hotel, dinner reservations and dry cleaning. Valet service was friendly and fast ($35/day for parking). Room was beautiful. Nice size room with a fireplace. Bathroom had plush towels and well stocked toiletries. Great shower and huge soaking tub. Beautiful views of the surrounding mountains. Pool bar was a great spot to relax. Staff (Adam, Brian and Sara) was very friendly and fun to sit and talk to. Amazing firepits dot the grounds, with lots of folks making smores each night. Pool is a very nice size with plenty of chairs for sitting and sunbathing.
Be aware there is a $25/day resort fee.
Again, this place is incredible. Great place for a romantic getaway or just a getaway from the rat race.
I HIGHLY recommend this hotel.
One more tip - if you need a car service for the weekend, I recommend Trevor (I believe the company name was Independence Taxi. He has a nice size Toyota SUV) I left my cell in the car and Trevor went out of his was to get it back to me ASAP. His number is 530-210-6041. We used him all weekend and he was great.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank syrsteel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

We've just come back from a road trip in California and stayed here for 2 nights,first of all 2 nights is not enough it really is a fantastic hotel with fantastic staff in an absolutely wonderful location.We hadn't booked so just turned up and they were so accommodating and friendly showing us the different rooms they had available even after we said yes to one room when we came back in he had found us a better room on a higher floor,now I know it's what you expect from a Ritz and we tend to stay at a ritz if there's one there but this place is ace if your going to Lake Tahoe stay here,end of.

Stayed July 2014
karlhaddad
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

When flying 16hrs and then driving 3hrs from the connecting airport, SFO, your body aches for the perfect home away from home. And thats just what it was.

Starting with the exceptional concierge staff who even got my wrinkled suit pressed on the house to the rustic elegance of an oversized 7 storey 'wooden cabin' feel hotel with a massive central chimney, from the moment you arrive, you thank God. U know this place was worth the journey.

We came for my cousins wedding. The setting between the tall alpine trees, sunset shimmering behind the married duet, the essence of class and old school charm evoke within you a sense of lustre from days gone past.

Summer months, within the hotels vicinity, are great hikes, refreshing lakes to cool off in, mountain biking rentals and body armour as well as just a 10min hike or 5min cable car ride down to the northstar resort which is in itself a self contained family entertainment zone from roller skating (iceskating in winter), to anything outdoorsie.

Enjoy. Not cheap, but certainly worth it if its within your budget.

Room Tip: U cant go wrong with either a courtyard/pool view or the panoramic mountain views. Just make sure u...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank karlhaddad78
Woodinville, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

I had been road tripping for a few days, putting on quite a lot of miles on my new ride, and decided I needed a break. Stopped at the Ritz in Truckee (Lake Tahoe) and was quite impressed. I'm not big on double bed rooms so asked for a king. They put me on the club level (flr 5) and I was happy with the room/view. I see that everyone writes on here to get the mountainside view but to be honest, I liked my valley view. The room itself is not overly impressive but it's cosy/comfortable which is fine by me.

I ate at Manzanita for dinner both nights opting to sit at the bar in the giant circular fireplace room on the second floor. I had the sea bass and salmon. Both were good. The bartender (Brad I think, I'm terrible with names, who is awesome though!) suggested the sautéed cauliflower side dish, good call. During the day I ate at outside at the BBQ place by the pool. Enjoyed a ginormous veggie burger there with good side dishes. Food is decent, no complaints.

I opted for an 80 minute "Organic" massage. The masseuses name was Snow. One word for her - Awesome. I gauge how good the massage is by how many times I fall asleep (lol). Pretty sure it was 3 or 4 times with her working my body. She has great technique with the right pressure. Highly recommend her.

During the day I hung out at the pool. They are pretty good on checking up on you and making sure you have what you need. I have one, tiny qualm though. It took a while to get drinks. It seemed like there was only one gal working the pool area and she was pretty busy. To me, they could gauge the busyness of the pool and add more servers as needed. I did notice more servers starting to show up later in the day though.

Final thoughts are that they are great at customer service. I had folks greet me and talk to me passing through the lobby area after I had spoken with them earlier. They would bring up previous conversations or ask how I was doing etc. I liked the personalization of the service, very friendly. Bonus tip for parents with kids, this is well-suited for your young ones. Lots of activities and kid-friendly things to do.

Room Tip: Try the valley view!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Truckee
Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.
Grand Residences by Marriott, Ta...
#9 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
#1 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
Squaw Valley Lodge
Squaw Valley Lodge
#5 of 5 in Olympic Valley

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe? Share your experiences!