“great place to relax in "off season".”

The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Truckee
Reviewed 28 August 2014

What can you say...it's a Ritz-Carlton, expect the best. And the best is how I viewed this property located mid-mountain in the most beautiful Lake Tahoe area!! My husband and I spent 4 days and accomplished our goal of complete relaxation. Because it is off season, the hotel was not crowded at all. In fact, on many walks through the lobby, not another soul was seen. Our schedule consisted of reading by the fire pit, lounging by the fire pit, roasting marshmallows by the fire pit and having coffee / cocktails by the fire-pit. We also toured the magnificient lake by way of paddle boat and had a lovely shopping experience in nearby Truckee. The hotel is lovely in an elegant rustic way fitting snugly in with the outside forest of majestic pine trees. There are large picture windows everywhere that bring the outside in. Even in the public restrooms, which is a little startling at first sight!! Our room was large with an electric fireplace and all the usual RC ammenities. Service was great , starting with the bell men who were extremely wonderful!! My only complaint was the lack of restaurants being open through out the day, with Manzanita, the fine dining restaurant, being the only choice at night. Even the sundries shop closed up tight at 5PM. This was , I expect, due to the time of the season. Not a huge problem as there are good food choices close to the hotel. The food in Manzanita was excellent, although pricey, which is to be expected. Again, service was great. We would return to this property again....maybe in the winter. Summer here was spectacular!

Room Tip: I don't think there's a bad view in the house. We were eligible for an upgrade, however, the...
1  Thank babyDallas

Reviewed 28 August 2014

My husband and I arrived to rain and a temp of 55, but things instantly got better when we arrived at the hotel. The views of the mountains are breathtaking! Each staff member that we encountered was friendly and accommodating. We opened the door to our room and were pleasantly surprised. The rooms are as pictured and the hotel is very well maintained. The weather improved and we enjoyed visiting nearby cities and hiking trails. The hotel provided us with maps and sightseeing recommendations. Definitely worth the trip and we plan to return!

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the mountains in back of the hotel and it was great. Not sure there is a...
Reviewed 28 August 2014

This was my second stay at this property. A year ago, because of some hotel miscues, one of the manager gave us a one night certificate and invited us back to experience the best service possible and stating that we will have the same type of room and perks. So, on my trip to the west cost I decide to stop by to use the certificate and to experience the great service Ritz offers during our anniversary.
After our first stay, despite the miscues, I gave this property a stellar review with the presumption that it was relatively new and they were still working on nuts and bolts.
This property is in a beautiful location, it has breathtaking views, it is close to Lake Tahoe, it is well build and presents a stylish ruggedness that fits the mountain area.
Our second experience was terrible in terms of what it is expected from Ritz.
When we arrived late at night, the place was a ghost town, the people of Ritz were missing in action. There was no self parking, yet the bell service was absent. Eventually someone came to take away our car. No one offered to help with the luggage. At the front desk there was one person that never greeted us, never recognized us and it looks that they did not have notes even though I called before arrival and mentioned the special occasion. The manager's promise of great service and room was broken. The "upgrade" was ridiculous and the room was quite far away. We hauled at our luggage on the long and smelly hallways since no one offered to help. The air conditioning in the room is so noisy that it is impossible to sleep. Every time it starts it makes such a noise that sounds like bombs are dropped in Iraq. Even though I went to bed at 1:00am, I could not take that noise anymore and I had to leave the room early. I went to the front desk and the gentleman offered to attach the same perks we previously had. It never happened. He promised that a manager will call. It never did. This place was probably at 20-25% occupancy, yet the service was generally non-existing. It looked like they layer off their workers.
Coffee at Blue Mountain is a joke. I ordered cappuccino which is very pricey and very small. They only have one size.
Breakfast at Manzanita was subpar. This place has beautiful and expensive design, however the food is clearly lacking and the service had a lot of miscues. The omelet I had was tasteless and bland. We had dinner here before and it was much better.
Pricey for the food they offer and the type of service. It was very slow, barely any guests in the dining room, yet the service was not up to Ritz.

The only service that was decent was by the pool and the Backyard grill.
I have to say that the spa is beautiful and tranquil place.

This property is badly mismanaged. Management is arrogant. Service is lacking. Grounds are not finished after years of service, the facilities are neglected. It could be that in a couple of years it will not boast the Ritz Carlton badge as it happened with other properties where I witnessed such a drop in service and such negligence with maintaining the property. A rundown motel will offer better service.
It still remains probably the most luxurious property in the Lake Tahoe area, but not long.
However, as a general statement, I am witnessing a general drop in service quality at Ritz Carlton properties when compared with the Asian properties, Four Seasons and St. Regis.
It should be a matter of great concern for Ritz Carlton.

2  Thank TonicTravelAmeniti
Ritz-Carlton_DOSM, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Dear ToniCTravelAmeniti,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us feedback regarding your recent stay at our resort. Your comments are extremely valuable to us so we may focus on areas of improvement.

Although this experience has left you with a negative impression of the resort, I can assure you that we value you as our guest and hope that you will allow the opportunity to regain your trust in our brand. I have discussed your experience with our team and we have identified improved processes and changes so the issues you encountered do not occur again.

I deeply regret that your stay with us did not meet your expectations and our standards of excellence. Your comfort and well-being is of utmost importance to me, and if you would like to further discuss your stay in more detail, I may be reached directly at the resort by calling 530-562-3000.

Joseph Mattioli, General Manager

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Overall the Ritz was superb. We brought our two little ones with us (3.5 and 1.5 years old) during mid-August. We thoroughly enjoyed the pool and late afternoon s'mores hour!! Front desk personnel and the auto valet team were superbly courteous and helpful.

Where we felt things fell short was housekeeping. We called in advance for a 'feather-free' room (my wife is very allergic) only to find the room still had feather pillows upon check in. After housekeeping 'corrected' the issue after a few calls, we found out that night that only the bed pillows were replaced. We had a similar issue getting a pack and play pen and refrigerator set up in the room for the kids. There seemed to be a lack of good communication with the front desk.

Food was very good along with great customer service. NorthStar Mountain convenience/amenities were wonderful. Will go back to visit in the winter with the kids for skiing!

John and Ana Maley - San Francisco

Room Tip: Do mountain view vs. poolside.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Jtmaley
Reviewed 25 August 2014

From the moment we arrived we just knew we had booked the right hotel! Starting with the gorgeous drive up the long and winding road to the arrival at one of the coolest lobbies ever with a central gorgeous fireplace bigger than my kitchen ensconced with an aromatic infusion of the nature that surrounds the property .... The Ritz-Carlton Lake Tahoe is impressive and it more than lives up to it's hype. Impeccable service, gorgeous rooms filled with the latest technology and the most beautiful fabrics and designs! It feels like home and more! The Ritz-Carlton Club floor was amazing with the wonderful food and drink, gorgeous views and impeccable staff it does
not disappoint! The location is perfect as well, perched high above the Honky Tonks that permeate Lake Tahoe it is in a class of its own. Quiet and serene, elegant yet casual The Ritz is almost perfect. Dog friendly as well! Great restaurants, beautiful spa, talented massage therapists topped off with an incredible atmosphere. The " Adventure Concierge" pegged us right and hooked us up with a great personally guided kayak trip on Lake Tahoe, driving tour with highlighted spots and more. The downside? It's owned by Marriott and sometimes the nerdy corporate type can be annoying but the Management staff are super quick to resolve the minor imperfections. I really can't think of anything else wrong there and I mean it and I can be a tough customer too! If you go don't bother eating anywhere else because nothing compares in the area,

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank FinnieF
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Staying at a Ritz Carlton is always an experience. Staying at the Ritz Lake Tahoe transcends all other experiences. The attention to detail, the service, the views, just fantastic. And staying at the Club Level brings it up even higher. Our concierges, Rogelio and Billie were wonderful. Ro took great pride in his "signature drink" the Ice on the Lake cosmo and it is not an empty brag. Everyone took great pride in providing us 1st class attention. And if the service and the views are not enough, there are plenty of things to do on the property. There are gondola rides down to the Northstar village to shop and wander, there are games like giant Jenga and volleyball, there are pools and spa treatments, hikes and games for the kids and at 4 pm everyday, gather around the firepit for s'mores. That's right, 5:00 may be cocktail hour but 4 pm is s'mores time. And with homemade gourmet mashmallows, it is a delicious experience. Drive to Tahoe, go to Reno, hike the mountains but make sure to get back so you can be pampered in luxury! Just a wonderful way to celebrate a special event.

Room Tip: All the rooms have beautiful views, you just need to decide if you want to look up the mountains or...
1  Thank MooseLover08
Reviewed 24 August 2014

I was in the Ritz for a major international conference, which took place in the hotel as well. Arriving from San Francisco with a rented car, I asked the receptionist how to best return the car to the rental office near the small airport at truckee. The Hotel arranged for a driver showing me the way to the rental station where I returned my car and the driver brought me back to the hotel, at no extra charge!. The rooms were spacious, tidy, with good wifi, and a phenomenal view to the hinterland surrounding lake Tahoe. The garden facilities include lots of deckchairs, a pool, grill, and bar. Staff was always very helpful, friendly and polite. One night we visited the in-house bar, which was stylish, and enjoyable. When I left after three days conference I had to arrange a lift to the same rental station by the small airport in Truckee (together with two colleagues) and the Ritz again arranged a free lift. I cannot comment on the room rates, as we had pre-arranged process which may ne be available through regular bookings, and I cannot comment on the quality of the food generally, as all catering was arranged through the conference organisers (and was of excellent quality). Overall best marks for all aspect of this hotel.

Room Tip: I had catering arranged by the conference organised, so cannot comment on the quality available to t...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Truckee
Resort at Squaw Creek
Resort at Squaw Creek
#2 of 5 in Olympic Valley
Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.
Grand Residences by Marriott, Ta...
#8 of 65 in South Lake Tahoe
Constellation Residences at Northstar
Marriott's Timber Lodge
Marriott's Timber Lodge
#9 of 65 in South Lake Tahoe

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe? Share your experiences!