“Nice room but everything else was just okay.”
Review of River Street Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Truckee
River Street Inn
Ranked #3 of 4 Truckee B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 August 2010

We arrived at the River Street Inn late and the innkeeper was helpful to tell us how to get in, came over to the property to get us checked in and recommended a restaurant. Our room was cozy with a nice bath with a claw foot tub. So far so good. Went out to dinner and came right back. Then the first train went by (around 10:00 pm) on the tracks that are one block away. Let me note that because of the crossing the trains are required to blow their horn and it is loud, even with the window closed.

We went to bed and the next train came by around midnight. Another one at 2:30. There was another one, I think around 5:30 or so. I realize that it is no fault of the innkeeper that trains go by constantly. I just want people to be aware that if noise wakes you up, bring earplugs or stay somewhere else, although Truckee is so little that I imagine that at any place you stay in town you will hear the train.

We got up and went down for the continental breakfast. What to say? I guess when I heard "continental breakfast" I assumed there would be some nice pastries or something freshly baked available. At every other B&B we've stayed in we were served a hot breakfast with the innkeepers present and chatting with us. Let me say that we were aware going in that a continental breakfast was to be served. At The River Street Inn that consisted of English muffins (packaged), raisin bread from Costco, granola, juice, corn flakes, coffee, milk and maybe something else I'm forgetting. Everything was laid out on the counter and it was serve yourself with the innkeeper nowhere to be found. She did show up for about 5 minutes, saw that everyone was talking, and left again.

Checkout consisted of us leaving our room key on the desk.

We were not impressed.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 February 2010

My husband and I have stayed here many times - since the inn first opened, in fact. Previously we'd stayed at the Truckee Hotel, across the tracks, and used to look longingly at this place, wishing someone would open it as a hotel. When Wendy Smith and Matt Brown did so, we gave it a try - and now never book anywhere else. The hotel is a piece of Truckee history, updated in a way that gives all the comfort of the modern age without sacrificing any of the charm. Location is awesome - right in the heart of shopping and dining and drinking of Old Truckee. You can hear the train when it goes by - but that's one of the reasons I love Truckee. Never been bothered by traffic noise or other guests. And Wendy and Matt treat us like family - they couldn't be nicer or better hosts.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 March 2009

This was our first time staying at The River Street Inn and when we first arrived it was awesome to be welcomed by the friendly owner. Who not only gave us the down low on where to eat, play and sites to see but actually took the time to sit down and chat. It's such a relief to have that small town feel and be welcomed by nice people when you come from a big city. The location of The Inn is perfect, right downtown, a walk to resturants and bars! My husband and I felt the rooms were romantic and very authentic. I can't wait to go back and stay again. Thank you River Street Inn for making our vacation so enjoyable!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 January 2009

TERRIBLE Customer Service (if you can call it that). I suggest you avoid this place if at all possible. The building is literally 25 feet from the train crossing that runs all night and right next to a busy road. BRING EARPLUGS! Although if you were in the front room like we were, earplugs didnt even help. Owners lied about the noise, said it wouldnt be a problem - we woke up all through the night due to busy walkway, front door slamming, people talking all right near our wall. Worst location for a hotel if you want any sleep at all. And to top it off, the owners would not refund ANYTHING for this poor excuse for a night's stay. They offered a gift certificate so we could come back and not get any sleep again! NOT WORTH THE HASSLE. Try the Best Western instead!!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank filmboy26
Reviewed 22 July 2008

After a full day of enjoying Lake Tahoe including a hike with lunch at Five Lakes, Taylor and I found ourselves looking for a nice evening. Truckee was the destination. After some online research we found The River Street Inn. It’s late and we had no reservations. We showed up on the doorstep late Thursday evening as the street faire was winding down; sorry we missed that but…maybe next time. Hungry and in need of a room we met Wendy the innkeeper. What a pleasure. Warm, friendly and lots of laughs!!! She hurried our accommodations and gave a call to a diner a few blocks away and secured our dinner seat as they were about to close. Thank You Wendy!!!!
Taylor is well versed in fine dining and she raved throughout our meal about the “above and beyond” quality and service of the restaurant, it could have easily been 6:00pm instead of closing time as far as the meal and service was concerned. A little Jazz over at Moodies to close out the evening and we enjoyed a very clean, quiet, and comfortable room as promised.
As morning arrived, the coffee and morning munchies were available and as a parting gift Wendy suggested another dining spot for breakfast/lunch….. another high score on the recommendation!!!! Next time I’m in Truckee, I’ll be back at The River Street Inn….. with reservations. Thanks again!!!!!! Taylor and Allan

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 30 June 2008

My husband and I have just returned from a weekend stay in Truckee. We have visited Truckee many times, but have never stayed at the River Street Inn. We were very happy with our choice this time. The innkeepers were polite and helpful. Our room was clean and quiet. The morning conversation with people of all ages was fun. We couldn't ask for more. We are looking forward to staying there again next year.

Stayed: June 2008
A TripAdvisor Member
New England
Reviewed 7 May 2006

We stayed for a week and had a wonderful time. Our room was on the lower level (off the street) and was very quiet but somewhat small for all of our stuff (although the bathroom was huge with a great clawfoot tub). I would hig hly recommend this b&b. Its newly renovated, well decorated and CLEAN (which is most important to me).

• Stayed: March 2005