“Boreal has stepped up the fun for families!”

Boreal Mountain Resort
Ranked #4 of 50 things to do in Truckee
More attraction details
Owner description: Snowboarding ski resort, offering snow play activities for everyone, including special programs for toddlers.
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Okay, we all know that the snowfall levels in 2014 (and the end of 2013) are leaving us all a bit unsatisfied. But, Boreal is making snow on the runs and it's a great place for families. While the runs are not as long as some other Northern CA resorts, when you're looking for reliable snow, reasonable prices and short lift lines, Boreal delivers.

So why do I say that they've 'stepped it up'? They have added a new facility that has trampolines, a coffee bar and all around fun zone for skiers, snowboarders and others who want to bounce or simulate some radical moves on the terrain park. Way to go Boreal!

What to bring - your board, your skis, and your 'ready to have fun' attitude. And your family. Fun for all - outdoors, or inside - regardless of the weather.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

Just came back to Boreal for the opening of the ski season. Kind of disappointing. The bathrooms are out of paper towels (this is our third visit same situation). The bar on the 3rd floor now has a 45 minute time limit for guests so the days of sitting there all day while the kids ski are over. This is disappointing because it isn't like that place is packed or anything. As always no sack lunches are allowed in the lodge which is a courtesy to the people who buy from their food court so I appreciate that.

Boreal is a great place to come for beginners because of their 1-2-3 Ride Free program which offers three lessons and all your gear at three different visits, then a season pass for the rest of the season. This season is probably not going to be very good because of the lack of snow and the very warm winter. Currently it is hard to even make fake snow because it isn't cold enough to stay frozen.

If you are looking for a cheap place to ski on marginal runs Boreal is the place for you. If you are more into sitting in the lodge I would skip it now that there is a time limit upstairs.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

We have been to Boreal a few times while visiting the area. The kid ski/snowboard lessons are reasonable. They are the only place in the area that makes snow so we have been able to ski even when there wasn't much snow. All of us are beginner to intermeidate skiers and snowboarders. Boreal works very well for usto get one day in on the slopes that doesn't kill the bank. Our last experience with a full day lesson wasn't as good as it had been in the past. The instructors are still great but it seemed that the lunch they provided wasn't as good as it was in the past and we forgot to bring snacks for our son to keep in his pockets. I recommend bring a good calorie dense snack and sunscreen while they are at the lesson. We didn't realize until we picked him up how hungry he had been all day. Regardless, our 8 year after one full day lesson was snowboarding with his dad at the end of the day.

Reviewed 24 December 2013

We took our daughter here to learn to ski because it is inexpensive and the slope is good for beginner. We went on Weekdays so there is not a lot of people. I signed her up for ski group lesson but there were not a lot kids so it ends up been a private lesson for her. So I paid a group lesson price for a private lesson training. not a bad deal. Coach was able to give all his attention to my daughter and my daughter were fast learner and now she can ski faster than I do.

Reviewed 23 December 2013

This is a joke! Boreal has a certain amount of tubes. Probably 75 or so? Anyway, you pay to go in and get your tube. Ride the escalator up the mountain and come down one of their lanes. First the grooming of these tubing hills are terrible. Rocks and Weeds were showing thru the snow. Second, they never stop selling tickets! What this means is as they run out of tubes, you wait in line at the bottom of the mountain to even get a tube, ride the escalator up the mountain and wait in line again to come down. What kid wants to wait in a 40 minute line (combined time) to go down a wasn't even making a 2 year old flinch? They go down very slow and it is really a joke. I'd pay $5.00 for this experience but the cost was $30.00 per ticket which I gladly paid because I thought it would be fun for my 3 and 7 year old grandkids. After waiting in the lines twice, they both said "we want to go...this is boring". Don't waste your money here. We found better places up 80 towards Truckee to play and tube for FREE! Boreal is a joke!

1  Thank G0ffs