“Boo -------- Keep On Truckin!”
Review of Casa Baeza

Casa Baeza
Ranked #77 of 118 Restaurants in Truckee
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 5 August 2013

~~~
I've been around, and I hate to write negative reviews. Oh, I've written plenty, but overall I like to keep it positive. I just can't send anyone to this place.

Casa Baeza in Truckee California was awful July 13th of 2013!

While passing thru Truckee Ca, I had the misfortune of stopping at Casa Baeza, a restaurant/pick-up joint that is more bar than restaurant. The crowd was there to drink and score, and the food proved to me the seat I occupied was more valuable for drinkers than diners. They wanted me gone, and I wanted out of there too!

If you go, leave the children at home, hold your breath and wash your hands after you leave, you'll need it.

Oh........ one more thing, Do Not Order Chile Rellenos!!

1  Thank MarathonManiac1

Reviewed 13 July 2013

It's in a convenient location just off Donner Pass Road in downtown Truckee. It has big tables for families and groups. It has a full bar. It has a big menu. It's also old-style, heavy-on-the-cheese Mexican food that you want to eat only occasionally. But, the price is right and it's fun.

Reviewed 14 June 2013

We have enjoyed this place over the years and I am sad to say that it has gone really down hill. We ate there several months ago and had a marginal food experience but based on past experience, I was willing to give it another try....and regret that I did. While we would always order food, the real reason we go there is that they used to make one of the best margaritas in town. Not so anymore. They still have a fantastic selection of tequilas but the lady tending bar managed to wreck them all. After two bad different premium margaritas, our final attempt was to deconstruct the margarita and order shot of a Heradura resposado with the juice of one and half fresh limes and a splash of Cointreau, period. And that didn't even come out right.

At best the food here is good but not great, but on this last visit, the food was virtually inedible. The Chile Colorado was so salty it couldn't be eaten and if it could, the meat was so tough and gristly you could barely chew. The cheese in the enchilada had an off-taste and consistency to it and the chile relleno was cold and flavorless.

Do yourself a favor and take a pass on Casa Beeza. With any luck, it will return to being a good bar with reliably good food.

Reviewed 1 May 2013

There are some nice options on the menu, but the reason to go to CB is for the 100+ varieties of tequila, and the best margarita in Tahoe, in California, and maybe anywhere outside of Mexico. The Baeza family is from Jalisco, from where all good tequila is made, and they know their stuff. They will guide you to the right mix for you. If you have more than one, take a taxi. Seriously.

Reviewed 13 April 2013

I'm in Truckee once a year and Casa Baeza is a don't-miss for me. I've had many of their dishes but the breakfasts top the list, particularly the Huevos con Chorizo. As a Southern California native, this is the kind of place I remember, not the homogenized chain place that seem to infect the Mexican food trade. Over the years I've found the best Mexican restaurants are not big on atmosphere. Don't let the appearance of this place fool you. The dining room is between the kitchen and the bar and the small distance guarantees hot food to your table. I've never had to fight crowds but the place is never "dead", particularly in the bar. You can expect some noise but that adds to the energy of the place. Families welcome too.Tucked into a side street off the very crowded "main drag" of Truckee, it's worth looking for. Parking is bad but it is bad all over town but Casa Baeza is worth the effort to find a parking place.