“terrible breakfast”

Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Truckee
San Francisco, California
“terrible breakfast”
Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

Hotel is decent, but the breakfast is not up to Hampton standards. There was no bacon (apparently because "the manager doesn't let us cook it" for some reason, I assume cost), no hash browns, no fruit except some pineapple scraps and literally three blueberries (I kid you not), no bread of any sort (only bagels), and there are no toppings for the waffles except imitation maple syrup. The toaster is a residential kitchen model broken on one side, and everything is served on styrofoam plates. Don't bother complaining, though, because the girl working there barely speaks English and blames the manager for everything. Cheap, cheap, cheap.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Ski B
RODERICKCR, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Tahoe-Truckee, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Ski-
I’ve reached out to you twice now via this site but have not heard from you. Please give me a call, I would like to speak with you and somehow make your stay right.

Should you like to make a comment, complain, or have a question for us, there almost always a manager available and certainly when breakfast is served and at checkin. During the winter and summer I work 6 days a week sometimes 7, so I too am available.

I’m sorry that you found our breakfast to be terrible. Yes, breakfast is a challenge. We did offer bacon but it was not well received and so we discontinued serving it. However, a number of guests have requested it so we have decided to offer it again. We always have English muffins, bagels, wheat bread, muffins and usually Danish and pastries from a local bakery. We do not use Styrofoam, but a rather a potato based material which costs about 35% more than Styrofoam. As for the made- to-order waffles, yes, we offer imitation maple syrup both sugar sweetened and sugar free as well as jelly and peanut butter for toppings.

The entire Hampton chain changed the fruit offer recently. We cut the fruit as needed and often times we get behind. Because of that issue we now offer fruit cups as well as the cut fruit which was not replenished promptly when you had breakfast. I’m sorry that was the case.

Again, I apologize for your unsatisfactory, terrible breakfast. Please call or email me, I would really like to talk with you as amends are in order.

530 587 1197
Rick.rucker@hitlon.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Napa, United States
Reviewed 9 February 2014

An excellent get away for you and your spouse or signifcant other. Close to beautiful Lake Tahoe, and 25 minutes from Reno. We also met sevreal families taking advantage of the near by slopes 10 to 15 minutes up the road.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

RODERICKCR, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Tahoe-Truckee, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Dear Mary-

Thank you for your review and choosing our hotel to stay in the Truckee / Tahoe area.

I am so glad you found that the hotel had "excellent appeal, service and accomdations" that about says it all.

Thank you again.

Sacramento, California
Reviewed 6 February 2014

We love this hotel. We have a timeshare in the Northstar Village and this Hampton Inn & Suites is nice enough that my kids enjoy staying here as much as in the village. Hands-down their favorite part is the wonderful breakfast, all free and plenty of variety of hot and cold foods. It begins nice and early at 6am, so we have plenty of time to eat, dress, drive about 5 minutes into Northstar, and be the first ones on the hill.

The accommodations are lovely. The decor is charming with a mountain rustic feel. They have always been very clean and comfortable; The beds have all white linen with down feather pillows. The bathroom is clean & spacious. They are well stocked with ammenities and guest have all-night access to their mini bar for snacks and medicines. The staff are eager to help you find what you need.

Kathryn at the front desk was so sweet and accommodating to our family tonight, which I greatly appreciated. We had locked ourselves out of our condo! Before we called Kathryn we were debating the logistics of spending the night in our car parked in the underground garage, to avoid what we were sure would be an expensive hotel fee, I made a call to Kathryn who was graciously and happily able to accommodate us at a discounted rate per our late arrival and unusual circumstances. She put us in the room she thought would be the most comfortable and convenient to where we had parked. She also offered me and my children hot apple cider, fresh apples, or hot cocoa to take back to our rooms to relax before bed. I was so appreciative of Kathryn's helpful demeanor. She knew how frustrated we were and she immediately apologized for any inconveniences I'd already had that night. She gave us he information we needed about breakfast, handed us the keys, and wished us a restful sleep. I always feel very well taken care of in this hotel. That is why when I am unable to stay at my own property, I choose to stay here.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
RODERICKCR, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Tahoe-Truckee, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Kristin S-

Thank for the great review and pointing out the amenities which are available 24hrs a day.

More importantly, thank you for singling our Kathryn our shining star at night. One of the toughest positions to fill in a hotel is the overnight staff. I can rest at night knowing that Kathryn will always make the right decision for our guests and thus the hotel We are blessed to have her on our staff.

We are also so glad to hear that you appreciate our breakfast. We try our best to make something available for everyone. But are always willing to add to our menu. Greek Yogut is our latest addition.

Thank you again.

Greensboro, United States
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Excellent service, especially during the breakfast hours in the morning, All of the staff was very friendly and made you feel at home, food variety for breakfast was great, i.e. cooked oatmeal, I will definitely stay here again. It was very cold during my stay, heating in room was a little drafty/cool, but in lobby very warm...

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business

Tom T-

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and thank you for staying with us, your business is appreciated.

We are happy you liked our breakfast and our breakfast staff. I agree they do a wonderful job making everyone feel at home.

We look forward to see you again soon.

Walnut Creek, United States
Reviewed 1 February 2014

My second time at this Hampton and it was every bit as nice as the first time I stayed there. It is clean quiet and friendly. They even had a nice snow storm for me but did see that the parking lot was cleared well enough to drive out with out chains.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

RODERICKCR, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Tahoe-Truckee, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Dear Robert-

We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel and letting everyone know of your wonderful stay.

When you say "clean, quiet and friendly" I can not ask for any better accolades. That is what we strive for every day - I'm glad that has been your experience.

Unfortunately, as of late, no chains or snowplows have been needed but hopefully this week it all changes.

Again, thank you.

San Francisco Bay Area, United States
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Liked the room and decor, very comfortable, easy check-in and check-out, 20 minute drive to our usual ski resort. Only thing was this funky sweat smell that permeated the room. One got used to it, to a certain degree, after being in the room awhile, but it never really left. Other than that, a fine stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family

Dear Barbara,

I am sorry to hear about that wierd smell. Please call me to discuss a way we can make it right.

We appreciate the nice comments about the decor and service and thank you for staying with us. We are thankful for the business.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Burlingame, California
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Have come here both in winter and summer. The best place around. Centrally located and wonderful service. Perfect family hotel. Breakfast is good and convenient. Cookies in the afternoon are a treat. Hot tub , pool and exercise room are great benefits. We love coming here.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank Gene W
Dear Gene W-

We love having you and your family here in both the winter and summer too! Many of our guests enjoy one or the other but each season shines spectacular.

We have tried to make families, couples and individual travelers all feel at home with us. But we have seen a number of children become young adults to stay with us on their own.

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for pointing our amenities.

See you soon.

Rick Rucker
Also consider these accommodations in or near Truckee
The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe
#3 of 5 in Olympic Valley
Inn at Truckee
Inn at Truckee
#10 of 13 in Truckee

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Tahoe-Truckee? Share your experiences!