“Iron Horse Lodge-South, Jan 2008 stay.”

Iron Horse - Tahoe Mountain Lodging
missouri
“Iron Horse Lodge-South, Jan 2008 stay.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2008

Wife and I, along with three kids, ages 10, 7, and 3 stayed four nights at Ironhorse. Arrived late around 9pm with snow and blizzard winds. Underground heated parking was priceless.

Our 2-bedroom unit was finished off very nice. Large bathrooms, comfortable beds, granite counters, plasma in every room, very high ceilings and gas fireplace. Washer/Dryer was a nice touch. Kitchen included toaster, wine chiller bucket, cork screw, lots of dishes, etc, etc.

Our "south" building was fartherst from gondala, and still not over 150 yards away. For some reaon our unit didn't inlcude ski lockers as advertised, but it worked out for the best as you can store your ski's for free right next to the gondala so you don't have to carry them. Twin hot tubs were behind the lodge. We enjoyed them one night and had them to ourselves.

We stopped at Safeway in Truckee before arriving and stocked up on drinks, snacks, breakfast foods. We are not big breakfast people, so typical day was quick morning snack, hit the slopes, eat lunch on the mountain, then dinner out. Not much nightlife around so if that's your thing I'd go someplace else. We were wiped out after skiing and with kids it was perfect for us.

We used the ski school daily for the 3 year old. Second day she woke the family up begging to get her to ski school. It is exspensive but we felt very comfortable with the set up.

We used the ice rink one afternoon after skiing. Its very large. Skate rental is $5.00. Rink is surrounded by outdoor bar and cheesey and cheap furniture. Cushions kept sliding off the chairs, would of made a funny blooper film. There were only five fire pits, one was surrounded by filming equipment, but knowone was around. Another was roped off like it was reserved for someone. Couldn't get near the others to make the much advertised smores' for the kids. Overhead heater wasn't working. We made the best of it with a bottle of wine and cheese while the kids skated and had a great time anyway.

We had carryout from Pedro's. Pizza was good, spagetti was awful. Both older kids said it tasted spoiled or rotten and I verified by smell something was a foul. Timbercreek food was good, service was poor. Waitress forgot to bring second round of drinks after repeatily reminder her. Waited a long time for the check. They did comp the second round of drinks which was nice.

We drove into Truckee one night and tried the American Pub. I'd pass on this place. Both steaks ordered medium arrived burnt. I kept mine because I was starving, wife sent her's back. Next round arrived looked like a burnt hockey puck again. Waitress was upset at the cook and we all had a good laugh over the situation. It was removed from the bill. What's strange about this place is that half the place is advertised as a gourment restaurant with chef's from around the world. I can't remember the name used, but once inside other half is the American Pub, with the same menu. I'd say an overpriced tourist trap at its worst.

Overall, stay was wonderful. Northstar is great place to ski. Very family friendly. Restaurant at the top of mountain has great food, views are beautiful. We would go back to Northstar again, however be prepared that overall restaurant selections are very limited and quality & service need some help.

• Stayed January 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank lins1234

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Central Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2007

After a 5 year absence from Northstar at Tahoe, we decided to return for another spring break ski week. I booked the Ironhorse Lodge after viewing the website. I booked a 1 bedroom condo.

From the start, the staff was awesome. Prior to arriving, the conceirge called to see if they could be of any help with our upcoming vacation. They were quick to make reservations at afew of the local restaurants and also recommend a ski rental place that came to the condo the first day we arrived! (That was the best - they came and fitted us for our skis and returned at the end to pick them up!!) They arranged for a massage therapist to come to our room during our stay (a nice touch after skiing all day).

Upon arriving, we entered the front desk area. We were promptly shown our condo and the start of one of the nicest visits to Northstar commenced! There was heated underground parking for our car - nice touch in bad weather!

The condo was luxorious and wonderful. The kitchen was granite topped and full of everything you would need to a gourmet meal (not that we did alot of cooking with the great new restaurants). There was plenty of closet space for all our gear and also a washer/dryer combination right inside the condo. The bathroom was huge - large shower and separate tub. The interior design was pleasing to the eye. This condo was a HGTV designer dream. We overlooking the walkway to the gondola - it was festive and fun at all hours.

The condo was a short walk to the gondola and also the all important Starbucks. The weather was warm and the skating rink was a great place to hang out in the sun. The village is a huge upgrade from the former Northstar village.

About the only thing that was a problem was the internet access. It was spotty at best - but then again - it was a nice vacation to really be away from the office and emails! Perhaps that was a good thing. My wireless card from Verizon worked when I needed to communicate with the outside world.

Northstar's new village is awesome - I'm looking forward to next year to see afew more restaurants and shops. Iron Horse Lodge just brought the whole mountain up a notch - totally 5 stars! We will definately return next March!

• Liked — Great condo within walking distance to gondola.
  • Disliked — Wireless access was spotty.
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Carroll30
novato, ca
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2007

After viewing the condos online, I was excited to spend our vacation at Northstar. I booked two, two bedroom condos. Right from the start the front desk showed it's ineptness. My husband called to confirm if we could check in early. Their check-in time is 5pm and check-out is 10am. We arrived at 2:30pm and were told on the phone one of our condos would be ready but when we arrived the same woman said "no".
Their maintenance person goes home at 5:30pm so when my son locked one of the bedroom doors and we couldn't get in, they didn't know what to do. The humidifier didn't work-didn't know what to do. I called back down and said I had gotten it to work and then a day later a manintenance guy came up to fix the humidifier.
They also have some communication problems amongst their staff.
Their computer system was constantly down. There was a mix up with when we were supposed to be checking out and two different people told me two different things. The front desk doesn't call back when they say they will. You can't call directly condo to condo. No housekeeping either unless you stay 6 nights. We were not told this but were informed when we asked to have just our sheets changed that there's a $40 charge for housekeeping.
There is also live music at the ice skating rink all day and you can hear it in the condo even if your windows are shut. No good views. We had the parking lot view and my parents were above the hot tub and could hear people laughing and talking at night.
I could go on and on but you get the idea. Upon checking out a guy checking in was told "so sorry about the mix up". Ouch. He jokingly asked if maybe there was free drinks at night or any such thing. They laughed.
For $400/night don't expect much.

• Liked — that it's new
  • Disliked — front desk staff
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank wsissel
San Jose, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2006

My family stayed in a 1 bedroom condo at the Iron Horse Lodge during the big heatwave. It reached up into the 90s in Tahoe, so having AC was nice. The accomodations are very nice. Very roomy for a family of 4. The kitchen had everything we needed and the bathroom was very large.

As with all new lodgings, they are still working out some of the kinks. We were not provided with linens for our pullout sofa bed. Called down to the main desk, and was told that housekeeping was unavailable after 5pm and security would bring some up after they took care of a bear problem. Somebody did bring us sheets around 10pm, but our kids were asleep by then (we just put them under a blanket). The next day, a manager came up to apologize to us, which was nice.

The village is still under construction. Most of the contruction is done during the day. Since we were out every day, that didn't bother us. But if the village ammenties and activities are important to you, wait until the village is complete. We had a condo on the top floor facing the old condos (I requested the quietest location). They said that construction would start at 7am each morning. We hardly noticed the noise, which was nice.

• Liked — Very spacious and comfortable
  • Disliked — New accomodations... construction and a few kinks to work out
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
2 Thank dk67
Boulder, CO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2006

I went to Northstar at Tahoe this week and was thoroughly impressed with the Tahoe Mountain Lodging's Iron Horse Lodge condos. I stayed in a 1 bedroom roomy condo with a kitchen that made me wish I could transport back to MY home in Colorado. Everything I could have needed for a week's stay was provided for. I had a great balcony, and the bathroom was perfect--large with an awesome bathtub, shower, double basin sink and even the towels were super soft! I've heard about 'older' Lake Tahoe condos being really disappointing, but this was in a category of its own. I had time to squeeze in a workout, and all the equipment in the work out facility was there and in perfect shape. The staff was friendly with lots of local information. I cannot wait to see how Northstar's new Village evolves...because if this lodging is any indication of the level of service and quality, then it is going to be THE place to ski. I'm hoping to squeeze in another trip by September. It's stunning.

9 Thank TheSnowMonkey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Truckee
The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe
Northstar Lodge by Welk Resorts
Resort at Squaw Creek
Resort at Squaw Creek
#3 of 5 in Olympic Valley
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,683 reviews
Constellation Residences at Northstar
Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.
Grand Residences by Marriott, Ta...
#9 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
BEST WESTERN PLUS Hotel Truckee-Tahoe

Been to Iron Horse - Tahoe Mountain Lodging? Share your experiences!