“Reliable Nice Place to Stay”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Truckee
The Cedar House Sport Hotel
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Truckee
Sonoma, California
“Reliable Nice Place to Stay”
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

Our second visit was as good as our first. Q We reserved a standard queen room and upon arrival they gave us an upgrade room with balcony. Some of the rooms are close to the main road, so you may want to wander around the several buildings before check in to help select your location. We liked the walk in shower rather than a tub shower combination. Cookies and nice patio area are great for afternoon nibbles and drinks. Highlight is excellent breakfast selections located inside Stella Resturant area. Not to be forgotten is a reservation for dinner at Stella too. Don't wait to the last minute when you check in; do it when you reserve your room!
Cedar is a fine getaway place with close great hiking and biking opportunities.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Chico, CA
Reviewed 26 May 2014

My fiancé and I just arrived home from our second get away to the Cedar a House a Sport a Hotel, and it was even better than our first stay. The rooms are stylish and comfortable, and well appointed. Every member of the staff provided top-notch service, and the owners were charming and gregarious.

We had dinner at Stella's, and opted for all four courses. Our waiter and the sommelier were both very informed about the menu and wine choices, and provided very useful suggestions. From the starters to the desserts, everything was both intriguing and delicious.

There is hardly a more perfect get away for the foodie and outdoor-activity lover. We have already booked our next visit for August, and are even considering it for our wedding venue.

Cheers!

Room Tip: The deluxe queen rooms are excellent - our favorites by far!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RLThomson
Oakland, California
Reviewed 18 March 2014

My family just returned from a long weekend at the Cedar House Sport Hotel. All in all, we enjoyed our stay. The design of the hotel is quite beautiful, and the service was very good and helpful. Check-in was a breeze, and we arrived just as they were putting out their early evening snacks (chocolate ganache pie from Stella, nice cheese board, etc.), which was a nice touch.

We booked a "luxury suite" and stayed in room 307, which was on the first floor of the back building (the hotel consists of 3 buildings in a U-shape), furthest from the main road, and for that I was grateful since it's a busy road and the traffic is essentially non-stop. That being said, all guests had to drive on a road right outside our windows to get to the parking lot in the back but fortunately there wasn't a constant flow of arrivals and departures.

Because there were four of us, our kids slept on roll-away beds in the living room, and they were quite comfortable there. However, because our living room wall shared the wall to which the outside stairs were attached, they could hear every footstep going up and down from the top floor. This wasn't an issue on Thursday or Friday night but they did have to endure a lot of noise on Saturday night/Sunday morning as people arrived and left the building. No one was speaking loudly or making an unusual amount of noise, but the sound of footsteps in and of themselves was quite loud.

As others have noted, the comforters were extremely comfortable and I in fact asked for information on where to buy them (you have to write to a guy in Germany).

We didn't have an issue with lack of storage because we weren't there long enough to warrant unpacking our gear, but I could see how that would be problematic if staying for a longer period of time.

The lack of good lighting throughout the suite was definitely an issue; the lights weren't strong enough at night to make the rooms feel "warm." Plus, it was somewhat tough to see well in the bathroom area when trying to put make-up on. And while there were three table lamps in the bedroom, I had to adjust them to make them shine straight out (rather than downwards) to get ample lighting for reading.

I loved the large shower area and thought the bath gel/shampoo/conditioner dispensers in the shower were fine, as were the hand soap and lotion dispensers above the sink. I appreciate the fact that this reduces the amount of waste produced per visit.

The complimentary breakfast buffet at the restaurant Stella was quite nice; healthy choices and good variety.

And finally: We took advantage of the nice patio in the middle of the three buildings/enjoyed a good margarita from the bar, and we also made use of the small but nice hot tub.

All-in-all, a pleasant stay and we would return again, although I would definitely request a room on the top floor of Building 3 and make sure it's not next to one of the two stairways.

Room Tip: Building 3 is the quietest, as it's the farthest from the main road. Also ask for a top floor ro...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank 61Kristin
colorado
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I visited for a wedding, and stayed 4 nights. My room was comfy and quiet, and my only complaint was that there are no drawers. Anywhere. Living out of my suitcase. Seems a little silly. I imagine that if you are there forskiing, it would beva bit inconvenient, staff frienfly and helpful.,

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Tracy, California
Reviewed 12 February 2014

We enjoyed our stay at Cedar House. The room was comfortable. I did find the suite room a tad bit small, but overall, very clean and visually appealing. We stayed at the rear of the hotel and felt the spot was probably the best. We overlooked the parking lot with a partial view of forest and road.

It was quiet in the evenings and slept ok except for the occasional train whistle that regularly passed through late nights. Apparently, this is a normal thing, but something to note if you are a light sleeper. It was any annoyance, but not enough to deter me from my room rating. The bed was compfy.

I like the feel of the place and the layout. We had a small balcony, that was nice to sit out during the afternoons. It was private, except, people could see you from parking lot if they looked up. We did have privacy from neighbors.

The price seemed to be reasonable for Tahoe and what you could expect with the location. We we pretty close to restaurants and downtown Truckee and most good restaurants. Other eating options were only a few miles away.

There is a nice walking path near the park,and it runs along side the Truckee river. It's worth checking out if you are interested in a good power walk or jog.

We especially liked the breakfast options and would return for that, fresh baked bread, granola and salad greens were my favorite.

I was disappointed that the on-site restaurant did not cater to vegetarian palate. I asked about this, but was put off by the response. "The chef does not change the pre-set menu." I was informed that they could leave out the protein fro the menu, but no mention of adjusting price and it was a bit off-putting to feel like they were not taking this seriously or considered this to be a legitimate request...so consequently, we went to other restaurants in town.

The other negative I had was that the worker, cook at the buffet breakfast never smiled or looked like her wanted to be there. I loved the granola that they served and learned that they actually make it in the restaurant there. Unfortunately, they only had the one time during our 3 day stay and when I asked, I was told they ran out and would make more the following days, but it never happened. I think this would have been an easy request to fulfill. Alas, we still enjoyed the breakfast even though my wife requested cooked eggs from the cook that did not smile.

I hope they correct that. We would still like to visit again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank T W
san francisco
Reviewed 1 February 2014

The decor of the room is very much Scandinavian so if you like that look and feel you'll be impressed. If that is not your cup of tea -you might look elsewhere. Beds are very nice with dual comforters. There is no closet and the layout of the bathroom is somewhat lacking in counter space. We like the look and the room was very clean and well-maintained.

Big plus is the Stella restaurant on the property and a very good breakfast included.

Room Tip: Check out the Stella restaurant.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank costaricagregg
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed for a week at the Cedar House in Truckee.

The Room: nice size room and very chic. It had a day bed for seating and extra bed and a desk. The bathroom is large and very clean. Large walk in Shower, no tub. We had a spacious deck with chairs and a table. The bed was comfortable and the pillows were great- nice and soft. The room has a small fridge and they provide two bottles of water each day as well as a coffee machine. Two complaints: the room was dark and not enough storage space for our stuff.

Service: wonderful, helpful staff with information about the area, activities, etc.

Breakfast: absolutely great breakfast. We stayed for a week and they didn't repeat the changing entree once. They always have yogurt with fruit and granola and cereal, oatmeal and eggs. The restaurant pastry chef makes the breads x the bagels. Fresh food prepared on site, it's a real treat.

Lobby etc: nice, modern space with lots of wood creating a warm welcoming environment. The outdoor space looks nice (we were there in winter). They have a full bar in the lobby and serve a nice snack in the afternoon. The hotel is not far from town and it is walkable though much of that is along the side of the road without a sidewalk. There is a bike path across the street.

I would recommend this hotel for a stay in Truckee.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GWtravelerChicago
Also consider these accommodations in or near Truckee
The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe
The Village At Squaw Valley
The Village At Squaw Valley
#1 of 5 in Olympic Valley
Northstar Lodge by Welk Resorts

Been to The Cedar House Sport Hotel? Share your experiences!