“Pleasantly surprised - ideally located.”

Truckee Donner Lodge
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Truckee
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Turned up without booking owing to a change in trip plans. Efficient reception. The room was very clean and quiet. Bed was great - good sleep quality. Efficent air conditioner too! Breakfast was fine. AAA discount was a bonus. Bathroom was clean with a fair sized bath. Hot coffee always on the go in reception. Eateries are a 5 minute drive away (Smokey's BBQ?). Good value for the money = and no nasty surprises here. Ideally situated - I would return without hesitation.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 30 September 2013

Nicole was very polite nice young lady. Was nice to visit with and very knowledgeable of the area and treated us with great care and concern.. Special thanks Nicole, we would stay again. Mark and Kristi.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Let me start out by saying I have spent about 25 nights at this hotel in the last few months (for work). The rooms are nice sized with a good sized desk with chair, and another comfortable chair. Also in the room was a refrigerator, microwave, and coffee maker (although there is always coffee in the lobby.) The bed was always comfortable with plenty of pillows. Lastly, there is a heater/AC unit that worked great with a programmable thermostat.

The continental breakfast is always the same, although I may have gotten sick once when I ate too many eggs. The selection included yogurt, cereal, eggs, bacon, biscuits and gravy, oatmeal, bread, bagels, english muffins, and mini muffins. As well as coffee, tea, milk, orange and apple juice.

The service is pretty good, front desk was always staffed and I never had a problem with any of the employees.

As far cleanliness, a few times i noticed hair in the bathroom after it had been cleaned, but I also stayed at the hotel a lot, so it wasn't a huge surprise. Besides the hair, everything else was always very clean.

The location of the hotel is great if you are heading to the lake, or just passing through on the freeway, as it has easy access. It definitely is not in the heart of the action or town.

If I head back to Truckee for business again, I will not mind staying at the Truckee Donner Lodge again, and Smokey's BBQ is great!

Room Tip: There can be freeway noise if you get a room facing the freeway. If you stay in a corner unit by th...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Mtbphoto
Reviewed 28 September 2013

we stayed here on route to tahoe, with our 12 month old baby. clean hotel, great staff and nice rooms. plus only 10 minute drive to restaurants. nice safe car park. we enjoyed our stay here.

room had two beds, which were clean and comfortable. bathroom had a bath which is great when you have a baby, must easier than a show.
breakfeast was ok, not great for a baby, but there were fruit etc.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 September 2013

The title could be good or bad depending on the way you look at it? Stayed here on business and took the wife. A very minimal facility although it does have a small pool and jacuzzi. Staff seemed overworked, and there was no one at the front desk when we arrived.After about a fifteen minute wait the front desk girl showed up with a story about how she hadnt eaten all day and had to get lunch.I asked if I could upgrade my room to one with a fireplace and pay extra as my wife was with me.Basically I was told that because my reservation was booked through Expedia it would be too difficult to do.
She also recommended that we go to Smokeys kitchen for lunch.I have to say it was the WORST BBQ I have ever had in my entire life! Do not go there!
The room was clean, but minimally comfortable.There were several light bulbs out in the bathroom and the fan was extremely loud!
Overall it was an ok stay, if not very isolated. Not much around at all but extremely peaceful. I kept waking up wondering why it was so quiet.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Jonmonca
Reviewed 13 September 2013

The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. Location, nothing around it except two gas stations and a taco bell. They are located at the base of a great hiking trail so that was great. They really talk about their hot continental breakfast but we found it inedible. Customer service was not bad, if you could find someone at the front desk. There were many times I waited for 5-10 min for someone to approach the desk and assist me.

If you are looking for a clean comfortable hotel for a night, by all means I would recommend it. If you are on a vacation and want to enjoy your time I would find another location.

Room Tip: There really are no good views from what we saw.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Leilani R
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Have stayed at this location many times, and always happy with the staff, price, location and breakfast. Surprisingly quiet for being so close to 80. My kids loved the pool, but it looked pretty dirty.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Truckee
Best Western Plus Truckee-Tahoe Hotel
#3 of 5 in Olympic Valley
Resort at Squaw Creek
Resort at Squaw Creek
#2 of 5 in Olympic Valley

Been to Truckee Donner Lodge? Share your experiences!