Travelodge Ukiah
US$99
US$72
Motel 6
  • Pool
All reviewsroom was cleanstay there againa nice place to stayeggsstate streetno elevatorcontinental breakfastroad trippillowscalifornia
Reviewed 27 August 2010

Partner and I stayed one night. Partner has some mobility problems--check-in person noted on our reservation and made sure we had a ground floor room close to the main office area. We needed an extra chair to hold medical equipment--arrived in less than five minutes. Rooms are standard for this chain, but everything worked well and all aspects were clean. Breakfast had good array of foods and was restocked regularly-french toast, eggs, bacon, biscuits (very good), yogurt, cereal, fruit and juices, bagels, Breakfast area is small, but when more folks showed up than could be accommodated, manager opened up the conference room, carried the folks' plates in himself, brought newspapers and did all he could to make things pleasant. Close to freeway, but we heard no road noise and no noise from adjoining rooms. Compared to what else is available in Ukiah, these folks work hard to provide a good lodging experience. They also have a coin operated laundry facility for guests.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2010

As previous reviews have noted this hotel leaves a lot to be desired. I thought since it was a chain hotel that service would be decent. As I arrived at the front desk, I was told that my reservation was for a smoking room. I informed the attendant that I didn't smoke. He said there was nothing he could do about it because I had booked a smoking room. I showed him my itinierary which made no difference to him. I asked if I could be switched to a non-smoking room. I was told there was no non smoking rooms available. That they were all booked. Now mind you this is Ukiah. I doubt all the rooms were booked.
So I asked if I could pay the difference for a non-smoking room and miraculouly, they had non-smoking rooms. He spoke to the manager who informed him that if I paid the difference I could have a non-smoking room. Imagine that!!!! I was upset. Seemed like a con they had all worked out. One of the worst experiences I've had in a long time.
Anyways, about the hotel, it is well worn and looks old. The breakfast was nice. The room looked like it had seen it's heyday 30 years ago. This hotel is right off the freeway so you can hear that noise all night. Sheets were stained so good thing we had brought our own.
If you're in the area stay at the Fairfield Hotel. It's newer and a lot cleaner. And it's only about 5 more bucks. The Hampton Inn is also nice but runs about 130.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
ukiahcahotels, Webmaster at Travelodge Ukiah, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2010

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your decision to stay at the Holiday_Inn_Express_Ukiah-Ukiah_California.

I am very sorry about the inconvenience which you experienced in getting a non-smoking room. I am glad that you were finally able to be accommodated. We are looking into the matter of no non-smoking rooms available and suddenly there was one. Hopefully the answer will be a simple one, that the manager had information that the desk clerk did not.

The housekeeping staff has received extra training concerning the standards of cleanliness which we strive to maintain and which we expect of them here at the Holiday_Inn_Express_Ukiah-Ukiah_California. You should not have had to supply your own sheets in order to have clean sheets on which to sleep and on behalf of our establishment I do apologize.

I’m sorry that your stay fell on a time when the area was so noisy. Unfortunately, that isn’t something that we can control but I do wish that the timing could have been different.

Again, thank you very much for your help in reporting these problems to us so that we can take steps to eliminate them. I think you will find your next stay at the Holiday_Inn_Express_Ukiah-Ukiah_California to be a much pleasanter one.

Regards,

Reviewed 16 July 2010

My boyfriend and I came to this hotel for a little mini getaway. The most appealing thing to us was their little cove of jacuzzi's, which was the best part about the whole stay. The think that let us down was when we finally went to bed. While laying in bed I noticed that something was tickiling my legs like crazy. So We pulled the sheets back and there was TONS of little black hairs all over the sheet, with a condom wrapper on top, and at the foot of the bed, the used condom itself. It was disgusting! It let me know that they didn't even change the sheets from the last stay. So needless to say we went to the front desk, at around midnight, and no one was there. We were ok with the front desk being closed, I mean it was really late, so we ended up sleeping on top of the bedding, and using our personal towels for blankets, the floor wasn't any cleaner than the bed. The next day while checking out, we mentioned our experience with the front desk attendant and she said that we should have told her sooner because there was nothing she could do for us. When I told her that we had tried but no one was there because it was closed, she said that was impossible because the front desk is open 24 hours. I'm sorry but if the lights are off and the doors locked, with a huge closed sign, I beg to differ. All in all don't waste your money!!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your decision in choosing the Holiday Inn Express Ukiah at which to stay. I am glad you enjoyed our little cove of jacuzzi's.

Action has been taken to see to it that the problems which you experienced have been eliminated. Our household staff has received extra training concerning the high standards of cleanliness which we expect them to maintain. Dirty bedding is certainly not acceptable and I do apologize that you were subjected to this.

Our front desk is supposed to be open twenty-four hours a day for the convenience of our guests and we are looking into why this was not the case during your stay.

I think that you will find your next stay at the Holiday Inn Express Ukiah to be a much pleasanter one.

Reviewed 8 September 2009

This is an average, cookie-cutter Holiday Inn Express. The location is kind of good news/bad news: good news is it's very easy to find, easy off/on Highway 101. Bad news is the highway's in the hotel's backyard, so the freeway noise, particularly large trucks, is continual. The room was large and clean, all was in order. The lobby breakfast bar opened at 6:30 AM. We arrived about 7:00, along with about 6 other guests, and found practically NO food. There was no fresh fruit, 18 cartons of Key Lime Activia yogurt (not kidding), gravy and 3 biscuits, cereal (but no milk), an assortment of carb-o-licious bagels and bread, and no plates! Informed front desk and gradually it was stocked, after everyone had left. By 7:45, everything was fully stocked, but there were no guests! They need to be better prepared for hungry people at their stated opening hour.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your decision to stay at the Holiday Inn Express Ukiah. I am glad that you found it easy to locate. I’m sorry that your stay occurred at a time when there was an abundance of highway noise.

I’m glad that you liked your room. We are always glad to know that our staff is living up to the high standards which we set for them and for ourselves.

Thank you for letting us know about the problems with the lobby breakfast bar. It is our intention that it be fully stocked and “ready to roll” as the saying goes at the advertised time. Steps have been taken to see to it that this will be the case. I am sorry that you were inconvenienced.

I hope that you will be pleasantly pleased with what you experience the next time you stay at the Holiday Inn Express Ukiah.

Regards,

Reviewed 10 August 2009

I made the reservation for this hotel online. The online system gave me the option of a "standard" room or a "nonsmoking king." (I think this may have been after I selected the criterion of "non-smoking," but I can't be positive.) At any rate, I chose the standard room and didn't think anymore about it until we checked in.

When we did check in, the front-desk person asked me if I could remember which room option I had chosen through the system, to which I replied, "standard." She then proceeded to say, "According to our computer system, you chose a 'CSTM,' which does not distinguish between smoking and non-smoking rooms, so we have put you in a smoking room, and this is the only room we have left." As she repeated this malarky, she had a very uncomfortable expression on her face, which indicated to me that she has to break this awkward new to travelers quite a bit, which further indicates that she and the hotel operators know that this is a deceptive and low-life (if not illegal?) practice, but they continue to do so because it is cheaper to have irate customers who will never come back than to pay to refurbish the smoking rooms.

My theory is that fully one-half of the rooms were built as smoking rooms (back in the '70s), and--even though the percentage of smokers in the general population has declined precipitously--they have not ever had the inclination to spend the money to refurbish any of the rooms. So they just keep them as smoking rooms and deal with the consequences (a lot of justifiably angry people).

I think that the hotel's rationale is that most of the people who stay at their hotel are either just passing through or are there for a one-time special occasion such as a wedding (as we were), so they have absolutely no repeat-customer base. So--the logic goes--why not just tick off the customer upfront because we know they have no other choice (indeed, this was the last hotel in town that still had rooms, which should have told me something!)

My response would be, "Have you ever thought of taking out a small-business loan to fix the rooms?" The additional revenue generated by actually satisfied customers would help you pay off the loan in no time. But perhaps this logic is far too obvious to dawn on the dim-witted, greedy owners.

So, you might ask, how did the story end? After we very reluctantly checked in and went to our room (which REEKED of smoke), we went to our wedding. But we decided we couldn't even stand to stay there for one night, so we gave our room key to a friend (who had been planning to drive back home that evening and is an occasional smoker so did not mind as much), went back to pick up our things and drove home (2 1/2 hours) that evening. Even though we had only left our luggage in the room for about 5 hours total, we ended up having to have all of our clothes dry-cleaned because the smell of smoke was so pervasive. Talk about disgusting!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Taittinger_Traveler

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your decision to stay at the Holiday Inn Express Ukiah.

I apologize that you ended up with a smoking rather than a non-smoking room. We have taken steps to check out our online reservation system to see if there are ways in which we can make it more user friendly for our guests and our staff as well.

I hope that your next stay at the Holiday Inn Express Ukiah will be a much pleasanter one.