“Bed bugs”

Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Ukiah
San Leandro, California
“Bed bugs”
Reviewed 22 August 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the Discovery Inn at Ukiah recently. My coworkers and I have stayed there many times in the past, but we will be staying elsewhere from now on. On other visits, I have not been terribly impressed with the rooms or service. On a previous trip, there was a dog barking all night in the room next to mine. However, on my most recent trip, there were bed bugs in my room. I saw two on the bed, and found more evidence of them when I pulled back the bedding. Several bites appeared within a few days. I wish I had checked for them before I slept in the bed, because it's just disgusting. I reported the bed bugs when I checked out. The manager was not in, but the staff said he would call me. I have called several times since I stayed there, but the manager is never available to speak with me and does not return my calls. I informed my boss about the bed bugs and he made arrangements for me and my coworkers to stay at a different motel when we have to lay over in Ukiah. I actually threw away almost everything I had with me at the Discovery Inn in Ukiah, and so far it seems I didn't bring them into my home, but it could have turned out differently and my family could be facing a traumatic and costly bed bug infestation. I highly discourage anyone from staying here until they verify the motel has undergone the necessary action to rid their rooms of bed bugs.

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank NoBedBugs28

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Martinez, CA
Reviewed 3 August 2012

My husband and I have stayed at the Discovery Inn four or five times over the last ten years. It seems that each time we stay there the motel is a little more run down. I can tell you that we will not be staying there again. On our most recent stay we found a quarter-inch on dirt on the light above the sink. We are not the only ones to notice, as others had reached up to touch it and left finger marks. The light in the bathroom never stopped flickering. The ironing board was completely broken, so that I had to balance it on a chair and bend over to use it. There was no OJ for breakfast because the machine was broken.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank JMEditor

Travellers are raving about these Ukiah hotels

Redding, California
Reviewed 30 July 2012

When I checked in, the girl said that she can only give me one day, I told her that my confirmation said that I was confirmed for two days, then she said that she can only give me quenn bed, again I said my confirmation said that I was confirmde for King bed. Then she gave me a room way in the back and when I looked around, it seems to me that the other people are semi permanent and I saw some junk car parked there, also saw some homeless people that were begging. So I went back to the front counter and asked her to give me another room, while I was there, there was another guy asking her to be moved also otherwise he was going to get another hotel. This girl told me that she can't find me another King bed room, but she can give me a queen room. After calling higher up, they finally give me another King room, very dirty and stinky. Bad experience, I would not stay there again. The good things are the breakfast room server is very nice and friendly, also the counter girl in the morning is nice and freindly but the night counter is bad.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Paul T
Moreno Valley, California
Reviewed 15 July 2012

We were at the point where we had to stop somewhere and the GPS said this was the nearest place. This may have been really nice at one time, but I wouldn't stop here on a family trip now. Judging from the parking lots and the condition of the outside of the rooms, I'd say they have people living here along with the overnighters. Inside, the carpet was badly stained and we decided to sleep on top of the comforter instead of risking what we'd find under the sheets. The wi-fi didn't work but we were too tired to care. The next morning, we were watched jealously by what we figured were the "residents" as we loaded our car. We were uncomfortable enough that we actually locked the car as we went back & forth. We drove over to the breakfast room (this place is huge) and encountered what another reviewer called the "breakfast nazi", the lady actually stood between me and the waffle iron and insisted that she make waffles for me. There was a woman in the breakfast room that evidently had been there for a while and was going on about how much she had won in a casino and she would be staying for another 2 weeks, she was also talking to anybody who would listen about being a "5-star" lesbian. We finished eating and got out of there. Not only would I never stop at Discovery Inn again, I won't be stopping in Ukiah again, period.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TK8803
Valley Forge
Reviewed 8 July 2012

We stayed at the Discovery Inn with a group for a wedding. While everything in the room was clean and the beds were exceptionally comfortable, the place had a run-down feeling about it. There was at least one homeless person that wandered in for the free breakfast who was not a guest, and there was quite a cast of characters that hung out near the hotel who looked like they might be transacting some sort of shady business. The pool was nice and the morning breakfast buffet was good: waffles, hard-boiled eggs, biscuits and gravy, sausage, variety of pastries, cereal. The staff was extremely friendly both when I made the reservation and during our stay.

Room Tip: As one of the other travelers mentioned, there is a nice suite on the second floor over the office...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Concord, California
Reviewed 2 May 2012

This hotel was need of repairs, staff and cleaning. The famous fountains in the front and the inside of the hotel were not working and had no water in them. The famous room with the four hot tubs was dirty, One hot tub was roped off and not working, Another was slimy and needed to be cleaned out, The other two needed defoamer and to be scrubed, There were no fresh towels availiable, No phone to call the front desk for service and The windows needed cleaning as well.
The rooms were not right next to each other as requested when we arrived and they were not ready, There were dirty towels in the closet when we arrived, The beds were not made properly and The comforters were in need of repair.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Ginger M
Reviewed 2 May 2012 via mobile

This used to be a nice clean place, but no more. Disgusting!!!!

• Stayed May 2012