“NASTY NASTY NASTY”

Discovery Inn Ukiah, CA
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Ukiah
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I have stayed at this hotel over a dozen times without a problem. I WILL NEVER STAY THERE AGAIN! It is obvious there are new owners to this place and they don't care. The room was disgusting. There must have been 100 flies in our room. The tub looked as though it hadn't been cleaned ever. The privacy curtain was shredded and our non smoking room smelled like smoke. There was dog crap every where outside. Oh yeah...there was a hole in the ceiling that was stuffed with papers. I paid $109 for this room and feel totally ripped off. Upon checking out I noticed a a very discreet sign posted in the "darkened" lobby window that said "Members of the public who have had stayed at the Discovery Inn in Ukiah, a suspected source of legionella bacteria which causes Legionnaires' disease, may have been exposed to the bacteria between the dates of June, 2014 through August, 2014, as previously reported by the Ukiah Daily Journal." Why is this place still open?????

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
13  Thank JoBeMe

Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Read Santa Rosa Press Democrat 3 cases of Legionaries Disease traced back to this Hotel! I guess you could wear a mask and get a room rely cheap right now. This place has law enforcement called almost every night. The back building which is Gray is extended stay and filthy!

Stayed: August 2014
11  Thank Derekpa
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Hmmm, where do I start. Best Western was booked out, and all they other places we tried were booked. This place looked decent enough from the front. The pretty lights were deceiving. There is a big fire in the area, so it seems this is the hotel/motel/inn the fire fighters and Regae Festival attendees refused to stay at. I think though that if I had just had my spouse, 3 kids, and myself sleep in the truck cab, we would have had a better night. Let's see, I once read keep reviews to your opinion and actual observations. I observed mood growing all over the no slip bath tub mat and some on the shower curtain. The carpet was lifting up at the point it meet the bathroom area, exposing underneath. The window air conditioner that pulled air in from the walkway in front of the rooms allowed smoke from people smoking above us outside and in the parking lot to enter the room. The mattresses had an extremely thin fitted sheet. It was so thin you could see the print from the mattress through it. The bed then had an equally thin top sheet that barely for the bed. The only other being were the pillows and the decorative comforter. I don't like to sleep with those, so the only thing we had to share was the little sheet. I finally watched 4 a.m. roll around and then woke up about 8 a.m. We packed up easily enough and went to the breakfast hoping this place could redeem itself there. Nope. The breakfast floor was sticky and when we watched the ever frowning gentleman take the drip tray from the juice dispenser to the side room we realized why. He spilled most of it on the way there and then came out with a small towel and dragged it across the spill (about 4 feet long). For breakfast there was sausage, biscuits and gravy, a waffle station, white bread for toast, cereal, oatmeal, apples, and hard boiled eggs. There was also juice (though the orange juice was a brownish color for some reason), water and coffee. The coffee was actually good! The biscuits and gravy were not good on my opinion, the toast was toast and they had jam and butter to choose from. I would not recommend this place to anyone. Really, I would have rather gone to a nice dinner with my family and slept in the truck.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank TripletsOnTheRun
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We drove 9 hours from Oregon and by the time we reached this place at 9:15pm it sounded good on their online description so we checked in ready for a hot jacuzzi.
The house with 4 jacuzzis could be nice but there is obviously NO maintenance on this property. 1 jacuzzi had warm milky water and debris on the bottom and the other 3 were like ice with questionable things floating. The pool was murky and debris on the bottom.
There was a drug party 2 rooms down, people bringing in foam pads to throw on the floor, a bong in the middle of their floor and loud 20 somethings running from their cars to the room until all hours of the morning. Our room had yellow stains on the sheets and outdated decor.
We skipped breakfast based on the cleanliness of the entire property, we didn't want to chance getting sick, we still had a long drive ahead of us that day.
It looks like there are long term tenants with trash bags on the balconys, stained chairs outside of the rooms and the amount of trash that was in the bins and on the ground. It stunk and was a health hazard. The parking lot was so filthy I don't think it has ever seen a broom or water.
Do yourself a favor and don't go near this place.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank gdmom4five
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Booked the suite for $200/a night over a month ago. Was informed that the hotel had elected to give my reservation away to someone else, with no reason given. Do yourself a favor, avoid this hotel at all costs. Yes, it is inexpensive, but the quality of service is so far below unsatisfactory. The accommodations top out at a C- minus. And the property as a whole is beginning to fall into disarray. At one time I was able to look beyond these issues, but since my yearly trip had to be cancelled with 3 days notice and zero explanation, after four stays in as many years, I will no longer be giving this hotel my business. And neither should you.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank MmmmGorgeous
Reviewed 27 June 2014

The place of choice to stay for many years during the Redwood Empire Fair. Last year we stayed for five nights and the place was down right nasty. One of the reasons for choosing it was the size of the pool and the location (across the street from the fairgrounds). The pool area was fallilng apart and no repairs being made. We had a room in the far corner and it appeared there were people around us that were actually living there. The language in the area was vulgor, trash bags hanging on the railings the entire time of our stay! Ants were in our room and carpenter's dust from what appeared to be some rooms getting worked on. It was simply gross. The area that the free breakfast was served in was dirty, table weren't wiped down and overall it is a grungy place. Too bad, it wasn't always like this. I had a group of kids at the pool and observed other guests drinking and cussing with no care that kids were around. Added a picture of the trash that was never removed from the room in the five day stay and the ants we shared the room with. Bad experience, I would definately stay away from it.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank K T
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I have stayed here for the past three years, but there were issues this year which require a second thought by the management. The "Sierra Nevada World Music Festival" is held each June and many of the artists stay at this motel. It is the only weekend of the year that the motel is sold out. Planning and employee coordination would have made our stay FAR MORE PLEASANT. We arrived at 4pm on Friday for check-in but our room was not ready; we were asked to come back in an hour. In a very small town with no nearby coffee shop on a blazing hot afternoon, we did not appreciate the inconvenience. A staff meeting and time table prior to the weekend would have prevented this. The room itself was large and comfortable, but the carpets were stained and musty. The old-style Television hummed loudly when used, and I could not connect my laptop to it for Netflix or DVDs. My BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT, however, was the lovely Spa Room - although the hot tubs remain hot 24 hours a day, they refused to open it for festival goers before the new "10am opening time" (it said 9am in the room). Nor would they allow it to be opened when the guests returned from the festival after 10. It sat there, empty and locked, while we struggled to understand their logic. The breakfast offered no vegan or vegetarian options beyond an apple, so bring your own. I sincerely hope this family-run motel recognizes their one week to shine as it approaches next year and management takes steps to make sure their guests are happy. That didn't happen this year.

Room Tip: Check the room before paying - stinky, moldy and unhealthy for anyone with respiratory issues.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends