“Needs upgrades for the price of the stay” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Vichy Springs Resort

Vichy Springs Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Ukiah B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“Needs upgrades for the price of the stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

I became acquainted with Vichy Springs through the AAA travel magazine. I have always been fond of the Indian Springs Spa (in Calistoga) so I was naturally curious about this historical landmark.

Upon arrival, we were lucky and got upgraded to a cabin, which made our stay very convenient because we had food to avoid leaving the room (once in spa mood we don't like to drive to restaurants).

Trails. We love hiking so the first night we decided to explore the waterfall trail. It was a little intimidating because we were the only ones there and it was close to getting dark. When we finally reached the falls it was a pitiful scene without any running water. On the way back we encountered a man with a dog. The dog kept jumping all over us but otherwise behaved. The man gave us tips about the other trails. I wondered the presence of a dog on the grounds when pets weren't allowed.

Next day we decided to go to the mine. It is a challenging trail with lots of bifurcations but again barely any signs. I don't think it would be too costly to post them and it would make more sense for the price of the stay.

The last morning we did the vista trail. Again very few signs but the view was worth it.

Baths. We were told that we could drink the water that comes out to fill the tub however, we were prudent enough to wait and not to do it right away. When we went to the tubs the first day, we couldn't find any private room on the left side so we decided to go to the ones on the right.

Once we entered we discovered that there wasn't any way to lock both doors (which could be easily attained). After soaking for a while we were kind of disappointed because it was sort of flat. Then we tried again and found a couple of tubs, in the open area, on the left side. After juggling a little bit (the system is different depending on the side), we managed to get into the tubs and then discovered the bubbles which was a nice experience.

We tried again in one of the covered rooms, once it became available, and this time we decided to share one tub to see if the level could go higher. Since the system is old, we were able to observe that the water flow, powered by gravity, changes with demand hence, when people start to fill up the tubs next door, some of our water is sucked back into the feeding system (yes, you guessed... turning it undrinkable).

I don't think that any cleaning is done, at all, since the water is constantly running, and the tubs are emptied after each use. Needless to say one can encounter hair and other things so I would recommend rinsing the tub before each use (and bringing a cup for that purpose only). The bubbles are not guaranteed every time either. I am not sure why but it has forced me to guess if the water is stored before filling the tubs and goes flat after sitting there for long periods of time.

We ended up figuring out that the best way to do it was to fill up one tub, get in for a few minutes, and then get out for a few minutes, to see more water rush in to have a full tub nevertheless, the water continuously flows back and forth throughout the soaking time and there is no way to prevent that unless there was an extra plug.

What ticked me the most was to see cups, and a ladle, inside a locked room that I always attempted to enter because I thought that was the drinkable water for the guests. Upon arriving to the office to check out, we encountered the dog again and, I was finally informed that those cups were actually for the owner's use only because the source needs to be protected however, of course, one is always welcomed to drink it from the tub... I left speechless...

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Adriatsea

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
california
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2013

I've been going to this special place for the past fifteen years for its tepid, natural waters. When looking back at my times spent at Vichy, I must admit that the "specialness" has deteriorated over the years. Let me break it down:
- Overall, price point too high for accommodations
- If you want to experience the waters, get a day pass
- If you want to have an affair, this is a great place since you'll probably will never run into anyone you know. Cottages are pricey but great if you want solitude and privacy.
-Owner should make a call to Tabitha and have her take over for a week

Room Tip: Stay away from the arcade area since it's too noisy to sleep at night. Get the mountain side roo...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank mistrsl
scottsdale, az
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2013

We stayed at Vichy springs this past weekend after a three year absence. It was absolutely beautiful and so peaceful for soaking in the baths. Each time I stay I feel like I am able to sleep so deep and catch up with my deficits!! This time I had to massages with Lucy and they were awesome. My husband loved the hiking trails to the falls and mine. One special event was I witnessed the birth of a fawn outside our cottage window in the nearby field. Of course owners Marjorie and Gilbert go out of their way to make sure each visit is wonderful. I highly recommend it.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank opcathy
Lawrence, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2013

My young daughter and I (40yr mother) traveled to CA from KS, and after having stayed in SF for two nights and with family another three nights, we were ready for a relaxing quiet retreat in the country. I have been to many hot springs spots and was looking to stay at Orr HS in Ukiah, but they have a policy about children needing two adults present for overnight stays.

Orr recommended Vichy, which I had not known to be located on such a large beautiful countryside property. The front desk staff at Vichy and the proprietor, Gilbert, were very kind and helpful. We stayed in room 7, which is a Mountain View Room...We loved it. Comfortable bed, clean bathroom with tub and shower and no TV in room, thank goodness! (I do not like places that assume a TV is needed in bedrooms).

On to the springs...we arrived at night, and were told we were still welcome to use the baths :) Other resorts I had called informed me that children would need to exit the baths at 6pm (Wilbur HS) and 8pm (Harbin HS). Seeing as we were only staying one night and were on vacation and I was traveling singly with my very well-mannered child, I appreciated Vichy's trust in me as a guest to monitor my own child's needs/behavior. We loved our time there! We tried the 90F tubs at night first but found them to be too cool for us that night. So, instead, we soaked in the hot tub pool 104F and warmed right up. What smelled at first like chlorine, we later found was actually Bromine that is added to just the hot tub. We felt so relaxed and curled up in bed looking forward to the next morning.

The breakfast buffet offered a wonderful array of fruits, granola, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, pastries, bagels, tea, orange juice, coffee, and more than we could want. I liked the homey feel of helping ourselves to what we needed in the kitchen. There were staff nearby to help when we needed. Yet, we could still feel as if we were welcome to make ourselves at home.

We enjoyed the flora and fauna on our way to baths and during our hike. We hiked first to enjoy being active before settling into the tubs. Great idea. We were pleasantly surprised that the 90F did not feel too cold with the sun shining. Also, we discovered that if you stay in for a few minutes, you actually experience the warming sensation as described by the staff. I found that as I stayed in the lukewarm water, I went through several waves of warming then cooling and found the bubbles to be pleasantly tingling/healing to mildly sunburned areas on mine and my daughter's skin. Also, submerging myself all the way under for my head to remain warm felt deeply relaxing and warmer :> . We finished with a hotter soak in the 104F to get us ready for our long drive that day. Vichy allowed us to remain on grounds after check-out time (12noon) because they were not very busy. We appreciated their hospitality and relaxed setting.

We drove southwest to Philo and bought apples from a stand and then on to an Old Growth Redwoods grove in Hendy Woods State Park then down the coast back to the Bay area. Ocean views were stunning, clear blue skies and vast Pacific medicine for my native-Ca-now KS-living soul.

We loved our stay at Vichy so much that we returned the next week to stay another night after some family plans changed. This time we hiked up the creek to the waterfall and dipped into the cold spring! After, we hiked back to the baths and warmed up.

One downside to our second trip was the sound of gunfire from a nearby gun club. We did not hear any shots during our first stay. We talked to the staff about it and there are efforts being made to remedy the situation through the County. I will definitely return to Vichy regardless. However, getting the gun club to move to a different location would really make our next experience perfect for us!

My daughter enjoyed the whole place and the people immensely and really, everyone did treat her very respectfully as a guest. She had great conversations with Gilbert, the proprietor, whom I could tell, enjoyed speaking with her too. Another quiet restorative stay, after much driving, put us back on the road feeling ready for the next phase of travel. We Loved Vichy!

Room Tip: Reason why room service was average was only because the maid service arrived early while we were ba...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank integritymatters_11
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2013

I dont have much positive to say. You should rethink if you driving from SF. Not worth it. Calistoga is closer and people are nicer.
Also there is a shooting ranch so you will hear gun shots.
Even if you rent a house and get there late, they will charge you for day use day after if you stay on property past 12pm. They charge for towel use as well.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank v d
Patron9874, Owner at Vichy Springs Resort, responded to this review, 8 May 2013
This guest was caught trespassing, or his guest was caught (depending on which one wrote this), and asked to pay for the overnight, breakfast and the baths use. He was not charged for towels. Credit card was declined and they paid in cash. They snuck a dog onto a non-dog property after signing the registration stating they had no pets. When confronted with all of this they threatened us (bribery) with a negative report on Tripadvisor and Yelp. Here it is and I guess 104F mineral soaking pool is cold and a very sophisticated ancient water being pushed by expanding CO2 from 6 miles below the surface at 90F, highly mineralized and highly carbonated is not what they were looking to rip us off for.
Palo Alto, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

We had another amazing stay. The hiking with the wildflowers was gorgeous, followed by soaks in the mineral baths that we had practically to ourselves on a Monday.

The quantity and quality of the fresh fruit at breakfast always amazes me. I asked where the yummy cinnamon cake is baked and it turned out it's from my favorite bakery in Healdsburg. Yum!

Room Tip: We love the cottages for cooking, but on this short stay we really liked the creekside rooms.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Akubu
Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2013 via mobile

This is a great place to unwind. We rented cottage 26, which is beautiful and spacious--not at all like a hotel room. I could stay a week. My only comment thus far is that the kitchen is not well stocked. There are 4 glasses, no wine glasses. There are 4 plates, not a single serving plate or bowl. No salad bowl. No baking tray, so you can't heat anything up. I believe there are 3 forks. We have a vacation rental and many people really like to stay home and cook. Basic spices are good, potholders, etc... Not to beat a dead horse, but a little could go a long way. OTHERWISE--turkeys, trails, tubs, deer, it's all good!

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank desertbarb
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ukiah
Hampton Inn Ukiah
BEST WESTERN Orchard Inn
The Old West Inn
The Old West Inn
#3 of 9 in Willits

Been to Vichy Springs Resort? Share your experiences!