“Overrated and overpriced”

Vichy Springs Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Ukiah B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 February 2006

I went with my sister to Vichy Hot Springs in August 2005...and I should point out that we went to use a voucher that'd been given to her to compensate for the horrible stay she'd had previously. (A large group had taken over the place and were loud, etc.) If I'd gone with my husband, I'd have been even more disappointed - it's not a romantic, quiet type of place, but more of a family-oriented spot. Mark Twain allegedly bathed in the tubs and it looks like they haven't been replaced since - rusted over and crated from mineral deposits. And yes, the water is cooler than body temperature. (Sit in your tub at home and pour seltzer on yourself and you'll get a similar experience. I'm serious.)

There were two families with loud kids who made it harder for everyone to relax, since it's such a small place and sound carries easily. I heard all about one teenager's pot-addled adventures in San Francisco while sitting/swimming at the pool and got treated to a couple of tantrums in the breakfast room while the harried parents did nothing.

Breakfast was good - lots of fresh fruit. The rooms were serviceable - shower stall instead of a tub, no TV.

The grounds are nice and the town of Ukiah itself is worth a visit, but Vichy can be skipped.

• Stayed: August 2005
7  Thank WendyJG
There are newer reviews for Vichy Springs Resort

Reviewed 1 January 2006

The lady proprietor was unfriendly and condescending. I'm not sure what her problem was, but it made the rest of the experience unenjoyable.

The place itself is OK, but nothing really special. The outdoor hottubs are cooler than body temperature so they feel cold (~90F)! I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2005
5  Thank Czernobog
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 10 October 2004

I have visited 10 times at least and at all times of the year. I have never been more pleased to return to a place. On one of my visits, Dustin Hoffman was there for the weekend. He was on a bicycle tour with other famous people. It was a thrill to sit at breakfast with him and actually meet him.

The rooms and cottages, and I have stayed in both, are super clean with excellent beds and beautiful views.

The carbonated baths are incomparable as they float you away in a whirl of bubbles and mineral water at a temperature where you can stay in for a long time. I recommend using them late at night too. The star gazing is incredible. I have seen several shooting stars.

The massages are terrific and some of the best I have ever experienced. Recommend having one after hiking to the waterfall.

If you enjoy nature in a beautiful setting, this is the place for you.

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 26 July 2004

This was one of the worst places I have ever stayed and we travel lots for both business and pleasure. It is the ONLY place I have ever checked out of mid stay. The rooms are small and the 2 room suite was old and very shabby. We had a problem with wasps in the room. When we could not find another adequate room we left mid afternoon but were charged for the night anyways. The management was rude and unaccomodating. It is very obvious that they do not rely on repeat customers. Massages the night before were adequate, but the mineral pools seemed dirty and unkept. The hillsides are pretty, but stay elsewhere and save your money.

• Stayed: June 2003, travelled on business
11  Thank TN-VinoGal
Berkeley, Ca
Reviewed 22 July 2004

Vichy is a regular stop for us. The Baths are amazing; very relaxing and soothing. The hike to the waterfall is incredible (a bit hard to find as you have to practically hike up the creek at times). A lovely pool is at the bottom of the falls perfect for swimming on a hot summer day. The rooms are very tasteful and comfortable (I’ve only stayed in the creekside rooms). This is a great place to spend a romantic weekend and if you come during the week you may very well have the place to your self!

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 21 June 2004

I'll start with the good side - the grounds are beautiful... the pool is nice, the spa area & trails all seemed fine. But, the rooms are comically small & expensive. $150 gets you a room that's a little bigger than the bed & that's it - no TV (which some would consider a plus) & no amenities. My other complaint is that while the outdoors are lovely, its proximity to the rifle range is ironic at best. If you lay out at the pool, you will hear gun shots every few minutes. Quite unfortunate. So, my two cents... if Vichy is a destination for you (i.e. you want to do the spa, the trails, the pool, etc.), go for it. But, if you're just looking for a nice hotel as a home base for exploring the beautiful Ukiah countryside, I'd stick with one of the hotels in town.

• Stayed: June 2004
12  Thank Ken H
City, State
Reviewed 29 May 2003

My wife and I visited during the winter months and found the natural baths at night a little cool but the hot tub was great. Our cabin was aesthetically appointed and very comfortable. The on-site dining room was pleasant and served good food. The grounds were quite nice and an air of tranquility permeated the place. Overall we were very satisfied with our stay and will visit again.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ukiah
Comfort Inn & Suites Ukiah
#5 of 15 in Ukiah
Baechtel Creek Inn
Baechtel Creek Inn
#4 of 9 in Willits

Been to Vichy Springs Resort? Share your experiences!