“Very Nice!”

Holiday Inn Express Union City/San Jose
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Union City
Reviewed 5 September 2012

We found this through our garmin, tired travelers looking for a bed. Nice place, great staff, free wine in the evening and lots of shopping and eaterys walking distance! The room was very nice and had a very comfortable bed. The workout room was not in good condition, needs much maintance. And finally, the price was not so good. I would stay here again if we go through San Jose, but would make reservations in advance.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
GMBayAreaInns, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Union City/San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2012

Dear dcsteve56,

Thank you for your comments. We truly enjoy hearing from our guests.

We are so glad you had a comfortable stay and enjoyed the hotel. We will revisit our exercise facilities to ensure we provide the best possible in our limited space.

Yes, booking in advance will certainly provide the best possible rate. Also, we generally offer discounts on the weekends. We hope to serve you again very soon. Thank you again for taking the time to provide feedback.

Reviewed 14 August 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights on a business trip where I had to commute between San Jose and Oakland. The hotel was very quiet, clean and accessible. The outdoor pool and spa were located in the center of the hotel so you might not get a tan but definitely it's a good way to stretch and get some exercise...especially if you have the free cinnamon rolls for breakfast.

The breakfast spread had eggs, sausages or bacon, biscuits and gravy, cinnamon rolls, fresh fruit (bananas and apples), a pancake maker, cranberry, apple and orange juices, coffee, tea, yogurt, cereal and hard boiled eggs. Definitely enough to get one through to lunch.

Near the hotel were restaurants, a movie theater and other such amenities to get one out of the hotel if needed.

The gym was small but adequate with a color TV to watch as one keeps in shape, and the business center, though centrally located in the lobby (read: so anyone coming through the lobby doors could see what is on the screen) has free printing.

The beds were extremely comfortable with a medium firmness and the pillows were very soft indeed. The bathrooms were immaculate and had fresh towels daily, if needed. I really appreciate the hotels that have environmentally friendly policies such as this hotel where if I wanted to reuse a towel, I left it hanging instead of placing it on the floor. I believe that every little bit helps.

The front desk attendant, Shurja Mumtaz, was very friendly and was extremely helpful in accommodating my every request. If he did not have the answer on hand, he made sure that he got it and gave me a timely reply to my query.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
GMBayAreaInns, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Union City/San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2012

Dear Snowboard_Scuba,

Thanks so much for your kind remarks. We are very proud our our property, service and location. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to serve you again very soon.

Please stop by to say hello anytime you are in the area.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed 23 July 2012

Stayed here for a quick weekend visit. Best service ever. I have a family of 5, and I usually get hit with the line "no more than 4 to a room", so my family gets split up and I pay for 2 rooms. From the very first phone call it was no problem for them to accommodate us. Great location. Lobby has a nice feel. Rooms are clean and comfortable. Pool and hot tub in the court yard are also clean and refreshing and there was no problem bringing our non-hotel guests in with us. Delicious complimentary breakfast. They are bringing the phrase "the customer comes first" back to life, and they are doing it with a splash of nice. Those studying hotel management should spend some time here to get a taste of excellent customer service.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Dear Sara C.

It is so nice to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We will certainly share your compliments with our hard working team as it really motivates it to do even better.

We hope you will visit us again soon. Thank you again for taking the time to provide your input. We sincerely appreciate it.

Reviewed 21 June 2012

This hotel has ALL the amenities and then some! Located in the middle of shopping & has every choice in food one might be looking for. Has a pool & whirlpool, workout room, full free breakfast daily, laundry facility, has modern rooms that include microwave & refrigerator, along with free Wi-Fi. Complimentary wine in the lobby daily @ 5pm. Only 24 mi from San Francisco. Staff is so nice & provides service with a smile.

• Stayed: June 2012
Management response:Responded 2 July 2012

Dear Cacoff,

Thank you so much for the kind words of encouragement. We love what we do and it is so gratifying to hear our guests recoginize it.

It was truly our pleasure to serve you during your recent visit and we hope to see you again soon. Thank you again for your business and support!

Sincerely yours,

Holiday Inn Express - Union City, CA

Reviewed 19 May 2012

The hotel is great. The facilities are modern and well maintained. The staff (especially Shuja) are very helpful and great. I'd gladly recommend!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business

Dear Lee,

We enjoyed having you as our guest. Shuja and our whole team work hard to care for each and every individual we get the opportunity to serve.

Thank you again for your kind words and input.

Reviewed 1 April 2012

This is the 2nd time I've stayed here. I find it very clean, quiet, comfortable, accommodating and the staff is friendly. The location is great...next to plenty of restaurants and shops. After having sat in a car for 4 hours I was looking forward to a brisk walk in the adjacent area but unfortunately, it was pouring down rain. I opted to use the small gym in the lobby area. I had used it on my previous trip as well. Equipment is limited and there were already two people using 2 of the 3 cardio machines available (one treadmill was broken). Would have preferred to use the elliptical or treadmill but both were occupied. My only choice was the bike which was OK but here I was sitting again. Also, the workout room is overly warm and I recalled that from my previous experience. A continental breakfast is served in the morning which is not bad and even includes some hot food choices. I appreciated the free bottle of water and small candy bar provided in the room. What a treat to not get charged! I would definitely recommend this hotel and will use it in the future.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business

Dear GaylaMarie,

Thank you for your input. We do try to go beyond expectations with small extras. Thank you for noticing the water and candy in the room. We also provide snacks and refreshments in weekday evening check-ins.

We are sorry that the fitness center was crowded and a bit uncomfortable when you visited. This is a popular feature with our guests and we will continue to look for ways to improve it.

Thank you again for providing your comments. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 6 March 2012

This is my first holiday inn express. I cannot compare it to others. It is exceptionally clean. It smells wonderful. The staff so far is awesome. I don't usually review until the end of my stay but I am making an exception. They had snacks, wine, and coffee in the lobby when we arrived at around 5. They have bottles of water in the room they are not going to charge extra for. My daughter commented and they have her an extra bottle for her rabbit. Excellent. The pool is open until ten. It is interesting. It is surrounded by the four floors of the hotel, enclosed by those walls but no roof. So partially enclosed. It is 52 degrees outside but my kids are wet. Honestly they are mostly in the hot tub but they are thrilled. Room is not small, it is fine. If we had to add a roll away we would have to move the beds. A crib may fit with minimal effort. We are in a two queen bed. Anything I need I could walk to to do I got to have my favorite margarita without worrying about driving. We are next to the 25 screen theatre and the indoor parachuting. I can't afford it this trip but will do it next trip. Since I am leaving my family assert this hotel so I can stay with my daughter in the hospitalI I will update if things chrange and will update about breakfast. I won't personally be here for breakfast but maybe some family will.

• Stayed: March 2012

Dear 209cookiemomster,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such useful information about our hotel for other guests. You not only help us as operators, but also help other travelers know what to expect.

As you noted, we do try to provide as much value as possible, with asking for more. The refreshments and extra room amenities are our pleasure and we appreciate your acknowledgment.

We hope you did in fact visit our breakfast, as we really do try to provide an exceptional variety of meats, eggs, fruit, pastries and beverages, including our signature pancakes and cinnamon rolls :)

Thank you again for all of your input and feedback. We hope to serve you again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Union City
Hampton Inn Union City
Hampton Inn Union City
#1 of 4 in Union City
Crowne Plaza Silicon Valley North-Union City
Extended Stay America - Union City - Dyer St.
La Quinta Inn & Suites Fremont / Silicon Valley
Days Inn Fremont
Days Inn Fremont
#8 of 19 in Fremont
Fremont Marriott Silicon Valley

Been to Holiday Inn Express Union City/San Jose? Share your experiences!