“Did NOT get the king bed that I paid for”

Holiday Inn Express Union City/San Jose
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Union City
Reviewed 20 March 2013

I'm a Gold Level Priority Club member. I know how to book a room with Holiday Inn as I have done it numerous other times. I booked a King Bed Leisure Non Smoking room. I received a confirmation email (60093336) stating I was receiving my King Bed. When I arrived, everything was normal. I've never had a bad experience with any of the Holiday Inn family hotels. This is the first (and last) time I've ever been to the Union City Location.
I got to my room on the 4th floor and it was a double queen room. I went downstairs and told the guy behind the counter that I paid for a King. He told me there were none available. If I wanted a handicap accessible room, I could take it as it had a king bed. I told him No as I believe those rooms should be for who they are intended for. I told him it was his responsibility to tell me at check in that I wasn't getting my King that I paid for and not being surprised the way I was when I walked into my room. I informed him I would never stay at this hotel again.
That would have been the end of it but the guy calls me in my room to tell me that I booked a room with 2 queen beds which I know I did not! I told him that I had a confirmation email stating that I booked a KING!!! This was very confrontational! He basically called my room to call me a LIAR! And I had the PROOF! He then backed off and offered to move me the next day to a King room. I declined as I was so PISSED OFF!!!
I will NEVER VISIT THIS HOTEL AGAIN! NEVER!!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Javier A
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Union City/San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2013

Dear Javier A,

Ferdinand G.

Reviewed 15 March 2013

The staff were wonderful. The room is OK. The location is scary. I didn't feel safe. Stay away from the Walmart. The mall across the street has mainly restaurants and a sketchy Walmart. Not sure if Union City has any good hotels. I would never go back here.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. Probably better in a nearby town
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Union City/San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2013

Dear Gee557,

First of all, we like to thank you for having chosen our hotel and we also like to thank you for having taken the time to share your valuable comment with us. Guest comments like yours are paramount for allowing us to focus our attention where guests’ feel it is necessary. We always encourage our guests to let us know right away if there are any issues or needs that they experience during their stay with us. The safety and security of our guests is of utmost concern to us. We have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Ferdinand G

Reviewed 14 March 2013

As I posted in my review of a HIE in Tuscon, the HIE chain is starting to show it's age. This place is due for a remodel. First room was on the east side of the hotel and had to listen to a hum from their climate control system outside my window all night long. Then a 5am, a trash truck with a loud backup alarm in the shopping mall next to the hotel woke me up. Then at 6am, a semi delivering materials to the construction site north of the hotel woke me up. The hotel folks moved us to another room for the next night and that was better but I would l think the hotel manager would have had conversations with the neighbors ahead of time about when they can start work. I thought a rate of about $145 on Thursday night was a bit steep. Everything else was OK.

Room Tip: Stay on the southwest side of the hotel. Those rooms will be quieter.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Union City/San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2013

Dear general5star1962,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We understand the importance of a good nights sleep and we apologize for any inconvenience caused by the renovation works during your stay. Though we would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and we hope you give us a chance in the future to show what we have done.

Connie D

Reviewed 26 January 2013

I stayed in this hotel on a business trip.

The front desk was helpful at checkin, although somebody was being trained and that person handled my information. It took a bit longer than it should have, but not a big deal.

The hotel lobby is nice but not fancy. The hotel appears to be very clean and in good repair.

The room is a basic hotel room, but a nice touch was different pillows with pillowcases saying "firm" or "soft" on them. There was also complimentary bottled water and a candy in the room.

The wireless internet was free and worked well. The bed was comfortable. The water pressure in the sink was a bit low. There was a microwave and a refrigerator.

The free breakfast was pretty average except that there were excellent warm cinnamon rolls which were very tasty.

Although the hotel was nice, it did seem moderately old and relatively ordinary. However it seems that with some of the extra amenities the management is trying to make this the best place it can be, which is the mark of a good hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
GMBayAreaInns, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Union City/San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2013

Dear SoCa1l26,

Thank you for your thoughtful comments and input. We appreciate your attention to detail as we do work hard to keep our hotel updated and thoroughly clean.

With limited space in the SF Bay Area, thank you for noting our efforts to improve and work with the limited space that we have. We will certainly share your feedback with our team.

We look forward to serving you again. Safe travels!

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed 16 January 2013 via mobile

Right from check in I was floored by the rudeness from the front desk. She was obviously bothered that I had interrupted her phone conversation. Aside from that horrible first impression I was pleased with the location, a large movie theater, great restaurants, a grocery store and Walmart. The hotel is on the small side but the room was above average. Very clean and well kept. Even with the bad service I feel good about my stay. I will probably spend my next trip at the Extended Stay since its in the same plaza.

• Stayed: January 2013

Dear GarciaFamilyMayor,

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment. Please be assured that we will share your concerns with our entire team and ensure that customer service is further improved.

We hope you will visit us again during your next trip to Union City. Thank you again for your compliments about our rooms and setting. We really do have a special location.

Very truly yours,

Reviewed 9 January 2013

If I could, I would give 3.5 stars. But I will edge it up higher as a 3 seemed to low.

Check in: Front desk person in the evening was very helpful, courteous and professional.

The rooms are very nice. Bed is comfy. Pillows were not very comfortable - but doable for the night. The room is spacious, clean and nice appointed with a large flat screen, concealed fridge and microwave and updated bathroom. Cable with HBO. A nice touch is added with free water bottle and a small chocolate. Tip: ask for a room facing the back and not the street. It was a little noisy.

Pool and spa seemed clean, plus they had a nice little work out room.

Breakfast was just ok. A lot of selection, but not very tasty. But enough to get you to lunch.

Overall, I would recommend to a coworker or friend.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the back. Street noise with rooms in the front.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
GMBayAreaInns, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Union City/San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2013

Dear Kcollett67

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay and appreciated our service.

We will continue to look for ways to improve our breakfast and bedding options. It is very helpful to hear from our valued guests so we can focus our efforts in the right direction.

We sincerely appreciate your business and hope to have another opportunity to serve you. Safe Travels!

Very truly yours,

Holiday Inn Express
Union City, CA

Reviewed 14 November 2012

The hotel was very nice, more upscale than other Holiday Inn Expresses I have stayed at. The front desk was very helpful and also friendly and polite. A nice surprise/treat was the snacks and wine they set out each evening for guests to enjoy! The workout room was sub-par, but it worked for a few quick workouts on a business trip.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
GMBayAreaInns, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Union City/San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2012

Dear WTyoung 13

Thank you for taking the time to comment. We truly love hearing from our guests.

We continue to seek ways to improve our hotel and will re evaluate our fitness offerings. As an urban location, we often have space limitations, but will always seek out creative ways to improve our service and amenities.

Thanks again for your kind words. We look forward to serving you again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Union City
Hampton Inn Union City
Hampton Inn Union City
#1 of 4 in Union City
Crowne Plaza Silicon Valley North-Union City
Extended Stay America - Union City - Dyer St.
Hampton Inn Oakland-Hayward
Best Western Plus Garden Court Inn
Fairfield Inn & Suites Oakland Hayward

Been to Holiday Inn Express Union City/San Jose? Share your experiences!