Holiday Inn Express Union City/San Jose
US$95
Motel 6
  • Pool
US$100
Courtyard Newark Silicon Valley(Newark)(Great Value!)
US$219
US$201
Aloft.com
US$152
Hotels.com
All reviewssmall outdoor poolthe rooms were nicefront desk staffa great stayhotel is greatshort drivefreewaylobbymicrowaverenovation
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Chose this place because it was closest to my son's friend who lives in Fremont. The room was a good size with a very comfortable mattress and choice of pillows. The heater was a little tricky to set. The workout room was adequate. The pool has a device to assist individuals with physical impairments. The free breakfast had many choices with some hot items. There is a Krispy Kreme walking distance that is open 24/7. There is free coffee, granola bars and fruit in the atrium.

When I booked, I asked for a room that was quiet. Unfortunately there is construction occurring around the hotel. When I checked in, I was not advised on this. If they disclosed this at check in, I would have given them a 4. I brought the issues of the noise with the front desk and was told that they do not start early nor stay late. I do not believe there is a room in the hotel where the noise is not heard. Construction started at 730 AM until 430PM.

Room Tip: If you plan on staying here, you should call the hotel directly to see what the status is of the construction.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Union City/San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2013

Dear uzengirl,

Thank you for providing us with a very considerate review and thank you for staying with us. I am pleased that the room accommodations lived up to your expectations. However, I would like to apologize for the overall dissatisfaction you had experienced because of the construction noise. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Janice A

Reviewed 20 March 2013

I'm a Gold Level Priority Club member. I know how to book a room with Holiday Inn as I have done it numerous other times. I booked a King Bed Leisure Non Smoking room. I received a confirmation email (60093336) stating I was receiving my King Bed. When I arrived, everything was normal. I've never had a bad experience with any of the Holiday Inn family hotels. This is the first (and last) time I've ever been to the Union City Location.
I got to my room on the 4th floor and it was a double queen room. I went downstairs and told the guy behind the counter that I paid for a King. He told me there were none available. If I wanted a handicap accessible room, I could take it as it had a king bed. I told him No as I believe those rooms should be for who they are intended for. I told him it was his responsibility to tell me at check in that I wasn't getting my King that I paid for and not being surprised the way I was when I walked into my room. I informed him I would never stay at this hotel again.
That would have been the end of it but the guy calls me in my room to tell me that I booked a room with 2 queen beds which I know I did not! I told him that I had a confirmation email stating that I booked a KING!!! This was very confrontational! He basically called my room to call me a LIAR! And I had the PROOF! He then backed off and offered to move me the next day to a King room. I declined as I was so PISSED OFF!!!
I will NEVER VISIT THIS HOTEL AGAIN! NEVER!!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Javier A
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Union City/San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2013

Dear Javier A,

Ferdinand G.

Reviewed 15 March 2013

The staff were wonderful. The room is OK. The location is scary. I didn't feel safe. Stay away from the Walmart. The mall across the street has mainly restaurants and a sketchy Walmart. Not sure if Union City has any good hotels. I would never go back here.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. Probably better in a nearby town
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Union City/San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2013

Dear Gee557,

First of all, we like to thank you for having chosen our hotel and we also like to thank you for having taken the time to share your valuable comment with us. Guest comments like yours are paramount for allowing us to focus our attention where guests’ feel it is necessary. We always encourage our guests to let us know right away if there are any issues or needs that they experience during their stay with us. The safety and security of our guests is of utmost concern to us. We have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Ferdinand G

Reviewed 14 March 2013

As I posted in my review of a HIE in Tuscon, the HIE chain is starting to show it's age. This place is due for a remodel. First room was on the east side of the hotel and had to listen to a hum from their climate control system outside my window all night long. Then a 5am, a trash truck with a loud backup alarm in the shopping mall next to the hotel woke me up. Then at 6am, a semi delivering materials to the construction site north of the hotel woke me up. The hotel folks moved us to another room for the next night and that was better but I would l think the hotel manager would have had conversations with the neighbors ahead of time about when they can start work. I thought a rate of about $145 on Thursday night was a bit steep. Everything else was OK.

Room Tip: Stay on the southwest side of the hotel. Those rooms will be quieter.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Union City/San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2013

Dear general5star1962,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We understand the importance of a good nights sleep and we apologize for any inconvenience caused by the renovation works during your stay. Though we would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and we hope you give us a chance in the future to show what we have done.

Connie D

Reviewed 26 January 2013

I stayed in this hotel on a business trip.

The front desk was helpful at checkin, although somebody was being trained and that person handled my information. It took a bit longer than it should have, but not a big deal.

The hotel lobby is nice but not fancy. The hotel appears to be very clean and in good repair.

The room is a basic hotel room, but a nice touch was different pillows with pillowcases saying "firm" or "soft" on them. There was also complimentary bottled water and a candy in the room.

The wireless internet was free and worked well. The bed was comfortable. The water pressure in the sink was a bit low. There was a microwave and a refrigerator.

The free breakfast was pretty average except that there were excellent warm cinnamon rolls which were very tasty.

Although the hotel was nice, it did seem moderately old and relatively ordinary. However it seems that with some of the extra amenities the management is trying to make this the best place it can be, which is the mark of a good hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
GMBayAreaInns, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Union City/San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2013

Dear SoCa1l26,

Thank you for your thoughtful comments and input. We appreciate your attention to detail as we do work hard to keep our hotel updated and thoroughly clean.

With limited space in the SF Bay Area, thank you for noting our efforts to improve and work with the limited space that we have. We will certainly share your feedback with our team.

We look forward to serving you again. Safe travels!

Sincerely yours,